LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » separating magnesium from other pills

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: separating magnesium from other pills
jedidano
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31627

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jedidano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all:

My doctor advised me to separate my magnesium from my antibiotics, by several hours, I believe. I am not sure why (I will ask him at my next appointment), but in the meantime, does anyone know what that is, and whether or not it might be a good idea to separate it from vitamins, herbs, and other supplements too??

Like many of you out there, "pill-taking" has become a full-time job for me, and a real pain in the arse, with all of the separations, take this one with food, this one two hours after, this one an hour before, etc, etc, etc.... Argh!!!!

*The only thing that keeps me going with this is that I AM GETTING BETTER FROM IT!!! YEA!!! :-)) (a pretty DARN good reason to put-up with it, *I* would say!!!) ;-))

Posts: 116 | From North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Magnesium is a binder and will inhibit absorption of things taken at the same time. So yes, it is best to take magnesium 2 hours apart from other supplements or medications.

I can't do that - my stomach has to have food in it when I take a pill or I get sick. So I've learned to put up with having to take more of some other supplements to get the benefit from them.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Magnesium, Calcium, Zinc and other minerals need to be separate from certain antibotics (abx) because they can cause the abx to be far less effective.

Some food sources also matter, especially dairy with its calcium. The minerals BLOCK ABSORPTION of certain Rx.

Generally, keep separate by a couple hours both directions of the clock:

I) Rx antimicrobials

II) Probiotics (best on empty stomach)

III) A) Nutritional supplements (non-herbal vitamins, minerals, fish oil) &

B) Herbal supplements

These various kinds of supplement can often be taken together; some may require food while some do not. Whoever has advised you on what you take should have advise on when to do so and in what combinations.

With some antimicrobials (such as Mepron for Babesia) fat is required. Best to ask your doctor when.

Fish oil can often be taken anytime but, still, it's just best to check with what your provider wants.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jedidano
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31627

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jedidano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you both......all very helpful information!!!

One question, though, Keebler: under your part III (A, then B), are you saying that the non-herbal vitamins *can* be taken along with the herbal supplements???

[ 01-17-2012, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: jedidano ]

Posts: 116 | From North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I am. My understanding of this, anyway.

Usually mineral / vitamin supplement can be taken at the same time as herbal supplements as they are all "food grade" so to speak and usually do best with a snack or meal.

But that may depend upon the specific supplements. Some may be best on an empty stomach with substantial water (like vitamin C). . .

some vitamins REQUIRE a good amount of food (as the B vitamins, especially B3 niacin as that can cause nausea if not enough food.

Also to consider when taking pills during a meal is that you don't want to drink a lot of water before or during meal as it dilutes the necessary stomach acid.

So, when taking anything with food, don't overdo the water then - wait until until it's all settled to rehydrate.

When you read up on each supplement, it will usually state the best timing.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What if you're not taking abx or herbs?

What do I need to keep separate? Magnesium from everything else?? I've never paid much attention to this since I only found out about it like a year ago.

(I'm slow...hehehe)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jedidano
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31627

Awesome, awesome, AWESOME help Keebler!!! Thanks a bunch!
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i know tutu...me too. i took it with doxy, amox, zith, rifampin, and many others. and it seemed to work...my lyme got a lot better

i need the mag for muscle cramps and constipation

i will have to look at all my meds now...and make a new schedule

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
TuTu - I don't see that it's an issue for you if you are not on abx or antimicrobial herbs, and are not treating for infection at this time.

Probiotics, however, are always best alone, on an empty stomach - or maybe with certain foods that are fermented (?).

As for how to space magnesium with your other support supplements, usually it's like with like. It's a food, usually best with other "food" supplements and a little food. Though some do fine with this on an empty stomach, too, and lots of water.

lpkayak, Glad even with magnesium piggy-backed with Mg you've seen progress.

It's not that magnesium or calcium totally cancel abx but they can decrease the therapeutic levels in the body - IF taken at the same time. And most people do best with the full therapeutic dose, if possible to know in advance.

Be sure to study from various sources as any new combination or schedule is considered.

My thoughts are just that. What I've picked up along the way but it's always good to check out various sources (and one's own LLMD) before making decisions.
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good; thanks! [Smile] I've been wondering about it. Been trying to take it at least an hour from other stuff, if possible.

I always take my probiotics on an empty stomach.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement