LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Brain MRI - with or without gadolinium

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Brain MRI - with or without gadolinium
opus2828
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15407

Icon 1 posted      Profile for opus2828     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am scheduled to have a brain MRI. I have had these in the past but never with gadolinium contrast. (Please note this is NOT an iodine contrast).

The brand they use is Gadovist and they told me they use a small amount - 5 ml. This lowers the risk for kidney troubles.

That being said, I don't want to do anything that will make me neurologically worse.

They told me hardly anyone is ever allergic to it.

I am sensitive to most medicines.

Does contrast really make a better picture?

They are looking for lesions and possible evidence of low CSF pressure.

Have you ever had an MRI with gadolinium and what was your experience?

I appreciate your replies.

Posts: 581 | From CT | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme in Putnam
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had two mris, one with contrast, one without. Didn't have a problem , they both showed lesions. Good luck.

--------------------
He took u to it, He'll you through

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
This is not at all about allergy but kidney damage from the Rx. Be sure to do a cross search through Google so that you have information from various sources.

Yes, the risk seems low for for those who are damaged by it, it can be very serious so it's good to take precautions.

If you may not need high contrast, I would opt out of the Rx. I would only do it if there were to be a surgery and they really needed the sharpest image possible.

If you decide to go with the Rx:

I would take good a kidney support supplement (and eat foods that are good for the kidneys) for a while before the test and a while afterward with extra care immediately afterward and for a couple days.

Extra water, too, but not so much as to overwork the kidneys.

Gentle exercise afterward, a warm (not hot) bath might be good, too.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
These are the kind of doctors who can tell you more about this:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/2/13964

How to find an ILADS-educated LL:

N.D. (Naturopathic Doctor);

L.Ac. (Acupuncturist);

D.Ay. (Doctor of Ayurvedic Medicine);

D.O.M. (Doctor of Oriental Medicine);

Integrative / Holistic M.D., etc.

Links to many articles and books by holistic-minded LL doctors of various degrees. . . .
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
opus2828
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15407

Icon 1 posted      Profile for opus2828     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so far for the replies.

I want to do it because they are saying that it may show low CSF pressure and before I would consent to a spinal tap to check for pressure I would want some evidence of that.

What is a good kidney supplement?

Posts: 581 | From CT | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I can certainly see why you would want the very best image possible, then.

A good supplement?

I'd start with Cordyceps. (But I am not any kind of health professional. It's just my instinctive answer.)

You can find many links in the thread above that will guide you. Best if you could find a professional educated in this field but, in the meantime, scroll down to the section about

Herbal Education - there are many good sources there where you can do a search.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
As you say that you are sensitive to many Rx, be sure to always cross check any med you take with Porphyria, or P-450.

There is a link to the Porphyria thread in that ND thread above, too, for more detail.
-

opus2828
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15407

Thank you Keebler.

So it is possible to get this MRI with contrast and come out in one piece!

I am most concerned about neurological side effects but it would seem that most people do not have that from this contrast.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I never had the contrast solution but, yes, it is quite possible to have this go very well.

I just came back because I forgot about this:

you will need to read instructions for the contrast agent in regards to any supplements within a certain time frame prior to the test.

There could be a matter of interaction or of it not being able to reach desired dose. This is why I wish we all had naturopathic doctors as part of the "system" - I hope you find the answers you need and good luck on this test helping you find the truth.

I would also take organic vegetable juice to your test. Keep it cold in a cooler or insulated thermos, or freeze part of it before hand.

As soon as you are done and freshening up, gobble down some juice and keep that up for a few days.

If you don't have a juicer, you can take an empty pitcher to your closest Jamba Juice (but not sure if they use organic veggies).
-

opus2828
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15407

The juice is a great idea. Thank you.

I will ask about supplements and meds.

opus2828
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15407

Anyone else?
opus2828
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15407

up for more experiences - please share yours
ralphi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33834

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ralphi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get MRIs of my brain every few years because of a pituitary tumor. They always use contrast, because that's the only way to see the soft tissue. Never had a problem with it, and I am VERY sensitive to most medicines, as well.
Posts: 330 | From TN | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
koo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for koo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had at least 3 of these within less than a two month period. This was right before I was dx with Lyme and was having an INTENSE horrible flareup. I am happy to report that I had zero problems with the gadolineum.
Posts: 478 | From Third Coast | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I happened to have an MRI (not brain) with gad contrast about two mos before my lyme doc had me do a heavy metal push test. The people at the MRI place told me that gadolinium only stays in the body for about 48 hours. Wrong. My gad levels were high 2 months later! Obviously it didn't leave my body (don't believe everything they tell you at the MRI place).

A few months later, I went in for a brain MRI. I showed the technician my push test results (doctors data--more accurate than a blood test). He just said, "Huh" and said that we didn't have to do the contrast, that the MRI would still be easy to read.

There are some MRI places that are better for brain scans without contrast.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
opus2828
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15407

Thank you for your responses. Anyone else?
heartof14k
Member # 20439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heartof14k     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have high gadolinium levels on my heavy metal tests. This came from multiple MRI's.

I have elevated mercury and lead levels as well.

I am being chelated, including EDTA suppositories for. gadolinium, altho it is not being removed so easily.

My body does not detoxify well, as do many with chronic Lyme.

I have a genetic defect (me and 20% of the population) where I do not make an enzyme which replenishes glutathione, a major detoxifying agent that eliminates heavy metals from the body.

I could not find any studies in humans on the internet that showed that gadolinium is excreted from the body shortly after it is given.

I will never take gadolinium again. I feel like the radiologists poisoned me !!!

Posts: 51 | From Boston, Ma. | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had 3 MRI's with gadolinium in the past year with no problems. Without the gadolinium, it is hard for the radiologist to see certain types of tumors and lesions. Good luck.
Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear ya, heartof14k. dbpei, the only way to know it hasn't affected you is with a heavy metal push test (not a blood test). I felt fine, too, but my push test showed lots of gadolinium, merc, etc. I hope you seek this out before you get any more MRIs.

Also,the MRI people told me that it's easier with gad, but they can see fine without it.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
opus2828
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15407

I have not had it yet but right now I am leaning towards not having the contrast.

With my luck, I would have a problem. And the possibility of an increase in neuro symptoms - like brain fog, vertigo, headaches - I really don't need that.

I appreciate all these replies - feel free to add more!

dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Catgirl, My LLMD ordered a test for heavy metals through Doctor's Data and my blood was found to be high in mercury and arsenic, but there was no reference to gad. Not sure what the heavy metal push test is.

Re: the MRI with contrast... You have to weigh the benefits v the risks in each case. There are certain life threatening conditions that cannot be seen without the contrast, such as an acoustic neuroma.

The risk of a possible reaction to the contrast dye was much less to me than the risk of having a tumor that could kill me.

Sorry that you still have the gad in your system. For all I know, I do too. It seems there is no end to all the things that we have to worry about with this awful illness.

Opus2828 - I don't know how to advise you. You've gotten lots of good information here to help you make the best decision for yourself. Take good care.

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm having an MRI on Tuesday, with and without contrast. I plan to take binders before and after. I want to get accurate images and have decided to do it.

I've emailed my doc and am waiting for an answer on how best to support myself thru it.

Good luck with your decision.

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement