LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » low IgG (immune system--not for Lyme test)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: low IgG (immune system--not for Lyme test)
Julie-MA
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Julie-MA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been in and out of treatment for close to 9-10 years now.

At the end of my appt. today, my LLMD noticed that a recent monthly blood test showed that my immunoglobulin test showed low IgG. (The "normal" range is quite generous, and I was below that.) I am not sure he had tested for that before.

Again, this is not the IgG from the Western Blot; it apparently is a measure of my immune system?

He said this could be what has been keeping me from improving that last little bit.

I think I understand why, but now that I am away from his office--and the opportunity to ask him!--I naturally have more questions.

Can anyone give me a sense of a direct impact this would have on my chronic Lyme?

Thank you,
Julie

Posts: 307 | From Byfield, MA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susank
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quick late reply. search other posts here re:
CVID and hypogammaglobulinemia
and IVIG

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
IGM 18,28,41,66 IND: 23-25,34,39
IGG 41,58 IND: 39
Bart H IGG 40

Posts: 1613 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie-MA
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Julie-MA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you. I took your advice. (I had done a search before posting but didn't know these other names, etc.) I will keep reading.

Julie

Posts: 307 | From Byfield, MA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susank
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Were you tested for IGG and IGA totals and their subclasses? As well IGM totals?

Do you know your level/s?

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
IGM 18,28,41,66 IND: 23-25,34,39
IGG 41,58 IND: 39
Bart H IGG 40

Posts: 1613 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Julie,

You didn't say how low your IgG level was? If it is just slightly lower than the normal range, your doctor may want to monitor it over the next couple months. A slight change can be caused by stress to the body, acute illness, etc.

If it continues to be significantly lower than normal then the doctor may refer you to an immunologist for a thorough evaluation.

Low IgG can be a sign (one of many) of a primary immune disorder. Basically that would mean that your body would have a very difficult time fighting off infections on your own. You would have a harder time getting rid of Lyme.

Try not to worry. The good news is that even if you are diagnosed with a primary immune disorder, low IgG can be treated with IVIG infusions. It can help replace what you are missing.

So, talk with your doctor. Ask about your lab results and what they mean for you.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie-MA
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5110

Susan--He offered me a copy of test results, as he has every time, and I didn't take him up on it (oops!), so I do not remember. I will look more carefully the next time (and he is testing me again).

Sammy--Thank you for the information. That is really helpful. He gave me some IgG supplement that a couple of LLMDs recommend, and he is going to test me again. I guess if it is still low, I will find out then what I need to do from there.

It's just a long haul and feels so discouraging...I do appreciate everyone's help.

Julie

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement