LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » CD-57 is 88, why am I so ridiculously sick????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CD-57 is 88, why am I so ridiculously sick????
aperture
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aperture         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Guys,

I have been reading about how the CD-57 test is such a good indicator of how sick a Lyme patient is. If that's true, then with a CD-57 of 88, I should feel great, not like I'm at death's door on a daily basis. What's up with this?

P.S. I was lab positive for:
IgM and IgG Brucella, IgG Ehrlichia, IgG Anaplasma, have high HHV6 levels

I was clinically diagnosed with:
Lyme (Igenex IgM +41,+66, ind 39, ind 83-93)(IgG Ind 41), Bart and Babesia

--------------------
aperture

Posts: 551 | From Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
My CD-57 was also very odd a few years ago and the LL ND said that in some patients, she can tell just by looking at a patient and the test that - for that patient - the test just is not a valuable tool.

There are many LLMDs who are now seeing that the CD-57 just is not ALWAYS a very good indicator of all things they had hoped.

It may help but it's not fool proof. It cannot show everything and there are so many variables and considerations.

In some patients, the results just don't make sense. But, then, that's pretty much the way lyme goes.

Like looking in the side mirror of your car where it says "caution: vehicles may be closer than appear."

Same with lyme: "caution: things may not appear as you would expect."

And that is why a good doctor has a good brain and good instincts, to put their detective skills to work in other ways, then.

Keep in mind, though, that lyme is not the only thing to consider.

For some, the CD-57 result might suggest targeting coinfections if the patient is still very ill.

What does YOUR LLMD say about the test result?

From the chart below, it would seem that you would need to get it to 120 before even considering stopping treatment for lyme. Yours is 88.

Only Lyme (not co-infections) makes CD-57 low
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Steve1906 just posted this link. There is an explanation of CD-57 here. But, again, it's just one tool of many.

Whether or not you were on antibiotics at the time of the test may also alter the results.

------------

http://sonyafightslyme.blogspot.com/2011/03/burrascano-notes-from-march-21st-talk.html

Dr. Burrascano�s definition of Lyme Disease

March 29, 2011 presentation

DVD of the presentation available through Lyme Disease.org:

http://www.lymedisease.org/lyme_store/lyme_store_burrascano.html

Putting Lyme Behind You, March 2011
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aperture
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aperture         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Keebler for that explanation. My LLMD/ND thinks I am sick with a LOT of infections. So it makes sense what you say about looking at co-infections. It seems to me that my co-infections are causing worse symptoms than the Lyme, at times.

I'm glad that you reiterated that the CD-57 is low with Lyme only.

--------------------
aperture

Posts: 551 | From Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RC1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RC1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My CD 57 was 300 went down to 200, I tested positive for Lyme, Bartonella, and Babesia, and I was extremely sick.

The test isn't always indicative of how bad a person has Lyme. For some people its a good marker, but not all.

Posts: 845 | From Northeast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aperture
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34822

Wow RC1. Your results truly prove that the test is not the be all end all, when it comes to severity of disease.

--------------------
aperture

BoxerMom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we are twins. My last CD-57 was 87, and I am still fighting co-infections.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We celebrated when my CD57 got up to 60!!! I started at 20 and make slow but steady progress.

I agree, however, that it alone does not tell the whole story. The co-infections seem to be the toughest to get rid of. My lyme numbers are better, but I am still very sick.

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine started at 60 ,went to 140 ,then to 28ish in three years........yuck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steroids [tsk] Didn't help this fight one bit...still trying to reverse or get past what damage it did from 18 months ago....

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigstan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigstan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me 2006 11, then last tests as follows 23, 36, 39, 48, 52, 56

And I do play the numbers regular in the Michigan Mega-millions. I have matched 4 numbers a few times for a cool $150 cash. Hope to hit the big one soon. LOL

--------------------
HERX is a Four Letter Word!

Posts: 716 | From If you're going through hell, keep going......Winston Churchill | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aperture
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34822

I wonder if the fact that I also have the HLA "dreaded genotype" of 4-5-53 complicates things?

--------------------
aperture

susieq2
Member # 30451

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susieq2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine is about 26 and I'm not all that sick. Our doc. says it's not a very reliable tool.
Posts: 59 | From Seattle WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I continued to check every 3 mos for a year and a half after I stopped abx and never got over a 22 (absolute). And I felt great then, and now 7 years still off abx, no relapses, I live a normal life and feel better than I have ever.

I even went as far as took all my CD57 test results to an Immunologist who said (and I quote) 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The CD-57 is a teeny tiny snapshot of your immune cells at that moment. They could be low because they are busy killing off bacteria, or you could even have gum disease. But given your amazing good health now and recovery, there's no reason to be concerned or even do further testing'.

It's a helpful guideline in the diagnostic sense, but not an indicator of much else. We stopped testing it as it just freaked me out.

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where did you get tests done? My LLMD seems to think that is most important. I know that some of my test samples are sent to Jewish National Hospital in Denver. Lyme is done by Igenex. Another lab he chose does the rest.

--------------------

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aperture
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34822

I had it done at Labcorp.

--------------------
aperture

CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it had been concluded by now that this test is worthless? None of the docs I have seen use it except at the beginning for diagnosis.
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aperture
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34822

Fitting name for this post, CD57 [Smile]

I was confused because I had this result at the beginning, so it threw me for a loop.

--------------------
aperture

daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My cd 57 is about 290-390... But still sick
Posts: 371 | From velocity of light | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

My doc will not use Lab Corp.

--------------------

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I asked this question of Dr S, the originator of the CD57 test, and he said a high CD57 score doesn't always correlate with the severity of symptoms.

But I think a very low CD57 score does correlate with not feeling well. If I am incorrect on this, please chime in - thx -

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shannon12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shannon12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my cd-57 is a 4!!! Doctor said this is dangerously low, that's another reason why I'm going on iv's right away, cause my body can't fight it with nkc being this low. I don't know for me it's an indicator that I don't feel well, cause I feel like death, I'm interested to see if my levels go up if I ever get better.
Posts: 229 | From Forty Fort, PA | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aperture
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34822

shannon12, I hope you see some improvement soon.

--------------------
aperture

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robin123:
I asked this question of Dr S, the originator of the CD57 test, and he said a high CD57 score doesn't always correlate with the severity of symptoms.

But I think a very low CD57 score does correlate with not feeling well. If I am incorrect on this, please chime in - thx -

-
From what I've read... I agree with that. I have heard of plenty here though whose score was low and like "susieq" they are sometimes feeling OK or better.

farraday.. LabCorp has the best CD57 test.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shannon12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shannon12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aperture, thanks you too, according to my doc, ideally your levels should be above 170, but who knows, hearing so many different things.
Posts: 229 | From Forty Fort, PA | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The actual count means diddly-squat, aperture.
It's how it *changes* with treatment that's moderately uselful, for most.

If, after being on an abx protocol for a couple months, your CD-57 count Jumps Up a chunk, that means the protocol is a good one for you & that you should stick with it... Maybe even up the abx dosing, IF possible, after consulting the LLMD.

I think my count was 85 a month into treatment & feeling like s&!#, 38 after 4 mo.s and exactly 85 again (!) a couple months into my final (4th) protocol- which was a real turning point, for me.

Most "healthy" people have counts well over 120 but it varys greatly.

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shannon12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36149

many bites im just curious, we're you infected multiple times with lymes? and did you get a rash each time?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement