LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » diflucan - what does it kill?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: diflucan - what does it kill?
jwall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does it kill anything besides yeast? Just wondering b/c I get pretty strong herxes with it and then I feel much better.

It seems to target my problem areas in my head - I can feel it working.

Just curious if it has an effect on lyme?

Posts: 618 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some docs do think it kills borrelia.
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diflucan is an antifungal. It also modulates the immune system and works as anti-Lyme, often paired with Valtrex. Valtrex is an antiviral.
Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you!
Posts: 618 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's some good post from(Lymenet) back in 2004:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/029810.html

Here's another site from 2005:

http://www.canlyme.com/diflucan.html

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can herx on Diflucan just because it kills yeast. There IS such a thing as Candida die-off.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does it kill the good yeast too?

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I has been found to kill h pylori, so why not other bacteria?

http://www.sid.ir/en/VEWSSID/J_pdf/101020080111.pdf

Posts: 433 | From new york | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thomasx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13431

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thomasx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a biologist, but I think the theory is that it can weaken the lyme (BB) cell wall, making it susceptible to Abx. Diflucan was a milestone drug for me... helped much.
Posts: 386 | From Southeastern PA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Catgirl:
Does it kill the good yeast too?

-
not at all

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aperture
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aperture         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can definitely herx on it. My little son took one dose and was bouncing off the walls and tried to bite his mattress! This showed that yeast is a big problem for him.

--------------------
aperture

Posts: 551 | From Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manybites
Member # 33750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for manybites         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to try it too.My doctor used to put me in Nystatin but I think Diglucan is better.I used it back than when I was assymtomatic with LYme and it helped and I was only in 2 weeks of antibiotics so maybe was helping with lyme too.Time to use it again.
Posts: 1379 | From disable | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is something about treating borellia with diflucan:

http://www.canlyme.com/diflucan.html

Quote from interview:

JN: Tell me your reasoning as to why diflucan might work in chronic lyme.

FS: There are several reasons. First of all, it inhibits an enzyme called cytochrome P45O. This is an enzyme that your liver, for instance, uses to detoxify chemicals and drugs. Borrelia has a very primitive p45O defense, so if you inhibit it, it is easily weakened. Therefore I believe that diflucan inhibits the growth and replication of borrelia. It does not necessarily kill it. In addition, it penetrates well into the cells and into the nervous system and brain, where borrelia may hide.

JN: What is your current protocol?

FS: I recommend 200 milligrams a day, for 50 days. There are now 200 milligram pills available, so once a day is fine. Then I recommend 20-30 days of any of the penicillins I mentioned. You may have to go through several cycles of this protocol. You must also be very aware of other drugs that act on the p45O enzyme system, specifically a subset that inhibits CYP3A4. You should not be taking any of these drugs at the same time as you take diflucan.

JN: What are some of these drugs?

FS: There are many, and it's best to check with your doctor. Some common ones are erythromycin, amitryptylin, midazolam, Lovastatin, and others.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ktkdommer
Member # 29020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ktkdommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diflucan helps me with all sinus issues. I swear it clears up my brain also.

I'm taking nystating so only use diflucan as needed. Wish I could take more of it.

--------------------
Things are never dull. After 3 fighting Lyme, 2 are in remission. Youngest is still sick, age 22. He has new diagnosed Chiari Malformation and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.

Posts: 1366 | From Perrysburg, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the term "herxheimer" actually originated from killing off yeast...

There are alot of similarities between yeast & Lyme symptoms. Someone mentioned in the other thread about how yeast might be considered a co-infection. I can see that.

With everything that is out there - these things we are treating may be chimeras. Combinations of fungus, bacteria, parasite, virus, etc.

This is a good article about yeast -
http://www.ei-resource.org/illness-information/environmental-illnesses/candida-and-gut-dysbiosis/

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
have to watch Qt's from heart with this , if also zith/biaxin and a couple others???

Anybody with heart flutters etc...

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlf2012
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlf2012     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VERY interesting...I am waiting to see my doctor but was taking amoxocillin and became MUCH worse. I stopped the amoxocillin after seven days, felt yeast acting up so took some diflucan that I had in my huge basket of unused medications. Within hours I felt better. I still feel like crap, but I feel wonderful compared to how I felt before I took it. Problem is, I only have six left and don't see my new doctor until Feb. 28th.
Posts: 463 | From Sandusky, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement