LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Tonsil Removal bad idea for kids with history of TBI's?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tonsil Removal bad idea for kids with history of TBI's?
2roads
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trying to decide what to do with my son.

He seems to have some sleep apnea, and he snores.

When we played a silly tickle game today, I had to only tickle for a small time because as he laughed, he could not breathe.

He has one enlarged tonsil, one normal looking one. I know it is truly enlarged because it was verified on MRI a couple years a go.

They say sometines it only looks that way based on asymmetry in the throat, but ours is valid.

He has his share of sore throats, some strep, some not.

If we remove these, will that affect his ability to fight any history of TBI's or other infections?

Any other concerns, or thoughts-

Thanks,

2roads

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fourwinds
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14114

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fourwinds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My personal opinion is that the tonsils are a part of our lymph system (along with the appendix) and

one should keep them if they can...... Doctors seem to believe we don't really need them, sigh...

Infections go to the tonsils instead of other places in the body....

Was he born with one tonsil larger?

Again this is just my opinion, I'd probably concentrate on trying to support his immune system more and see about a Cpap machine?

Posts: 396 | From EAPennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My kids had their tonsils out, and it made them feel better. Their ENT said their tonsils were full of infection.

They had very high ASO & DNASE-B AB numbers.

They were 19 & 23 when they had the surgery. It's a very hard recovery for adults. It's much easier for kids.

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fourwinds
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14114

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fourwinds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pab:
Their ENT said their tonsils were full of infection.

Just food for thought... if the infection hadn't accumulated in their tonsils where would it have gone? .......to other parts of the body.

The tonsils are a "holding area" so to speak....

Posts: 396 | From EAPennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was 20, I had a bad case of mononucleosis. It took me over 8 months to "recover" but I never really got back to 100 percent. A year or so later, I came down with full blown tonsillitis. When I recovered from the tonsillits, the ENT told me that my tonsils were full of holes from the mono and they were collecting bacteria. I had my tonsils out and finally regained my health.

Yes, the tonsils do serve an important role in the immune system but if they are bad they can also drag down the immune system and make you sick.

Dr. K believes that tonsils should be one of the areas looked at in people who suffer from a chronic condition. He recommends tonsillectomy when the tonsils are bad:

"Over the years tonsils can loose their ability to excrete and then they become a toxic focus themselves. As long as patients react with tonsillitis, fever and rather acute symptoms, the tonsils may be healthy. As soon as they stop reacting they may have lost their health and may be a dangerous focus. Healthy tonsils in a grown-up can be easily luxated (="popped out") of the fossa with a spatula. If you can't do that the tonsils may be dangerous to the client (Kellner, page 201). The final phase of progressive tonsillar degeneration is called " degenerativ-atrophic tonsillitis". The tonsils have become a dangerous focus but are themselves completely asymptomatic. The uvula often looks swollen and jelly-like, the palate is bluish discolorated (page 202). When the tonsils cannot excrete toxins anymore lymphatic toxins have to be shunted into the blood stream to other organs which have now an overflow-valve type of function and become symptomatic. Conservative treatment with homeopathy, neural therapy, antibiotics, Enderlein remedies etc. is as ineffective as conservative treatment for a devitalized tooth. The only option is careful and complete surgical tonsillectomy."

http://www.klinghardtacademy.com/Articles/The-Tonsils-and-Their-Role-in-Health-and-Chronic-Illness.html

[ 02-05-2012, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: Parisa ]

Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fourwinds
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14114

That is very interesting....thank you for the insight and information... I am always open to learning [Smile]
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quite a few of Dr. K. patients have gone to Germany to do the cryo treatment - described here:
http://devdelay.org/newsletter/articles/pdf/388-much-maligned-tonsils.pd

He definitely waits for the appropriate time if he has that suggestion.

He also does Neural Therapy to help the tonsils release toxins. I had that several times and it was a great adjunct to detoxing more efficiently.

The tonsils are our sewers until we fix them.

Teeth, bite and structure have also to do with it.
It is always taken into consideration. But there is a time for everything which is important. If a person has problem with toxicity overload, that has to be addressed first before one can push for more.

If you have a doctor who pays attention to the tonsils, he/she is the best judge as to necessity and timing.

Take care.

P.S. Just an add-on to the tonsil comments: Dr. K. published the article Parisa posted before Cryotherapy was available. Now he considers all three -- Neural Therapy, Cryotherapy, tonsilectomy.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think our only option is autoimmune tinctures, or tonsilectomy.

I wish we could just remove the one that was large and keep the other.

Even Jakob suggested that.

I guess the doctor would look at me like I'm REALLY nuts-

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my daughter had a tonsilectomey and adenoids out because of chronic recurring strep. My son gas pandas too. it was a hard recovery from surgery.

but even woth tonsils out she had strep throat....

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manybites
Member # 33750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for manybites         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my daughter had her tonsils out and earing tubes in .

Hers strept infection came back to the same spot that she removed the tonsils and they were swallowed up and pussy.

she ended up with cronic strep

treat the strept with long term antibiotics.Dr K suggest 500mg azithromycin for at least 6 months.

My son had been on azithromycin for more than 6 months for babesia at age 7 and he has his tonsils with strept now.

I am trying to keep them yet as much as I can.

i bought even idione to and use a swab to cover it up with iodione before he sleeps.

that is an old way of people in my contry that still use it now.

Posts: 1379 | From disable | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had tonsil issues when I was 18 for over a year. THe left one was badly swollen and painful.

I had them removed just before I was 20. It was the best thing I have ever done.

Yes, they serve a purpose. But if they get diseased and are nonfunctional...get rid of them.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement