LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » WB results LCorp and IGX don't agree, which trumps?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WB results LCorp and IGX don't agree, which trumps?
red100
Member # 33653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for red100     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Western Blot
IgeneX

IGM
23-25 IND
41+
83-93 IND

IGG
39+
41+

LabCorp
IGM -- only 41 present

IGG -- 93,66,58,41,39,30,28,18 present (all but 2 bands)

I did leave the doctor's office today with abx prescriptions, but I didn't realize how different the actual lab results were until I got home. Why would they be so different? Does it mean anything? Does one lab trump the other?

Thanks!
Red

Posts: 33 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susank
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You had that many positive bands from Labcorp?

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
IGM 18,28,41,66 IND: 23-25,34,39
IGG 41,58 IND: 39
Bart H IGG 40

Posts: 1613 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
red100
Member # 33653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for red100     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, 8/10 IGG bands present with LabCorp.

Also Bartonella positive via Quest. And high ASO (strep). So much fun...

Really just wondering about the differnce between LabCorp and IgeneX. Everyone here seems to recommend IgeneX, but actually LabCorp came up with way more positives in my case.

Posts: 33 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you had that many positive LabCorp bands, you can take that to the bank!! No doubt.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seekhelp:
If you had that many positive LabCorp bands, you can take that to the bank!! No doubt.

-
Yep! It's LabCorp's high rate of false NEGATIVES you have to worry about.

Very unusual.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RUN with the LabCorp positive. Keep it in a file and use it if Insurance ever gives you a hard time.

You are very LUCKY to have gotten a positive from LabCorp as Insurance companies won't debate their results (or Quest's).

THey will question Igenex though.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with the others.

Be aware that Quest and LabCorp do not list two Lyme-specific bands that IgeneX does: bands 31 and 34.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsgotlyme
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe some of the difference is that Labcorp doesn't test for some of the bands that Igenex does.

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicole_Denise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicole_Denise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, since Lyme is a clinical diagnosis, you shouldn't rely too much on test results. (which isn't saying you don't have Lyme. I'm saying it looks like you do have lYme, but don't be too stressed about the tests)

Having a positive test is good because it might get you some help from insurance companies or regular doctors, but the big difference between the two tests just shows why Lyme is a clinical diagnosis. The tests are just too unreliable.

Posts: 503 | From Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No lab trumps another. Put all the positives together and that gives you your test results.

Many things can cause a negative result on a band, but only one thing can cause a positive--the test detected antibodies in your blood to that illness.

That's why I say to just put all the positives (and indeterminates--meaning weak positives) together.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You will get different results at different times even if using the same lab. I was told this is due to antigenic variability (the bacteria chanages it's makeup to avoid the immune system).

IGeneX tests for 2 strains rather than one and more bands.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cracker Jack
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cracker Jack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most important question to red is; why did you not get a prescription of anything?

BTW, A blood test for antibodies to the bacterium is the preferred test for the diagnosis of Lyme disease, but the truth is that no Lyme disease test to date is close to 100% accurate.

Also red could you add the dates of when both tests were done..

I had gotten 4 or 5 blood tests from everyone but Igenex. All came back neg. Why? I don't fully know, but it could be from a combination of things in the grems make up & I was taking (abx, steroids, etc), could be some at the labs don't believe in lyme as many docs don't and just don't take the time to do the test right, could be a new lab tech, who really knows. Before I was properly diagnosed and the fact that the insurance company told the lab to do a worthless cost less elisa blood test more than once. [Mad]

I'm more than happy with the 3 different Doctors clinical diagnosis of LYME & Co done on me at different times. [bow]

After the first clinical diagnosis while still in the doctors office, they drew My blood for a complete lyme & co and again (2nd test now) the insurance company told the lab to do a worthless elisa blood test again. I then started treatment right away on ceftin. This Doctor is fairly new with ILADS and told me; Son you're not leaving this office without a prescription and get it filled!

Although He is not the best LLMD and was kind of green at treating lyme, he still wouldn't let me leave until I started treatment and at I was very happy to start. He may have saved My life. Bless Him for having the heart to treat a lyme victom. Yes I said victom, because we are thanks to the main stream crap going on...

Fast forward to a visit with a well known LLMD & 1 of the best in the world IMO. I was thinking He/She would send off blood to Igenex, instead I had the same result a clinical diagnosis for lyme and co. After that assessment and a long talk about the other blood tests, the doc says all the tests are not accurate and it would not tell Him/Her anything He/She doesn't already know and see in Me. On that day the doc found more co-infections through clinical diagnosis right there all my meds had changed.

I'll tell you this, I filled those scrips as if I hit the lotto and was on my way to cash in the ticket..
I am very happy with this form of diagnosis and I am well on my way back to having a life again.

Red start treatment ASAP...

[hi]

[ 02-08-2012, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: Cracker Jack ]

--------------------
Let us not become weary in doing good,for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
--
[hi]

Posts: 247 | From HOME | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
red100
Member # 33653

Thanks for all the input, everyone. This was my initial labwork. The blood was taken the same morning and sent to each Lab corp and Igenex. That's why I was curious about the different results. Sounds like it's best to think of just adding the results together!

I did get prescriptions. Here is the list - I'm really nervous about starting all this stuff, for what sounds like an indefinite amount of time.

Does the list of meds look like what you might expect a person freshly diagnosed with Late Lyme and Bartonella? Not that I'm doubting my doctor, but I'm really new to this whole process...

Zythromax
Nystatin
Bactrim

Thanks!
Red

Cracker Jack
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cracker Jack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use to think of it as late lyme after a doc said that to me. I really wanted to think I was different or anything other than chronic. I know now I have chronic lyme disease, but I will get well with the right doctor.

I'm no expert but the list looks good. Remember you will feel worse before you get better and that happens in different ways. Another words everyone reacts different to treatment. I've even herd some don't herx at all with pos wb test, Them the lucky buggers. [dizzy]

Bottom line is we are or were sick mentally [loco] , emotionally & physically it all goes hand and hand and you should be more nervous about not starting all this stuff!!!

You came this far, know go get those meds & take lots of probiotics 2 hours away from any ABX's & get on a no carb, no sugar at all diet!

You are so close to getting well,,,

Never give up!

--------------------
Let us not become weary in doing good,for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
--
[hi]

Posts: 247 | From HOME | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cracker Jack
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34734

Hey Red,
Always remember practice not perfection.

God Bless & Good night

--------------------
--
[hi]

susank
Member # 22150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I have become an Immunoglobulin research "nut" - I would love to know your total/quantitative serum values the day you tested.

Did your doctor do those tests?
I rather doubt it. Wonder - is your blood still viable at Labcorp - your doctor could do an "add on" perhaps to test your total IGG, IGM levels?

I wonder who has ever seen so many positive/reacting IGG bands from Labcorp. You might have set a record. Really. You must have a strong immune system.

I cannot imagine a doctor seeing your results and not being dumbfounded enough to investigate further.

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
IGM 18,28,41,66 IND: 23-25,34,39
IGG 41,58 IND: 39
Bart H IGG 40

Posts: 1613 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
red100
Member # 33653

Susank,
I had no idea it was such an unusually high number of bands (for labcorp). Could it somehow be related to the fact that I've had Lyme so long and never had antibiotics? I'll check the lab reports -- maybe they tested the total/quantitative serum. This is what you are looking for? Is it a Lyme test, or general?

Off to fill the prescriptions, I guess I'm going to start this process. Don't know whther I can do the no sugar, no wheat, no dairy. Sounds impossible! i could do low sugar, low wheat, low dairy, but none? Is this typical? I suppose it's to help with yeast build up?

TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the lyme diet, just eat meat and non-starchy vegetables (no potatoes and no corn).

For breakfast, you can have eggs and meat. You also can eat quinoa which is a seed and not a grain. So, that can substitute for rice or pasta, etc.

There is a great breakfast recipe using quinoa here:

http://bodyecology.com/recipes/porridge.php

I ate this daily while treating lyme. It is fabulous. Buy the quinoa flakes at a health food store. Make a big batch and heat up a portion in microwave whenever you want it.

Snacks can be nuts, seeds, veggies and the porridge above.

Meat includes all meat, poultry, fish, sausages, etc. You can have tuna salad, chicken salad, etc.

I ate in the office cafeteria daily with no problem. This is very much like a low carb diet.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement