LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » These MTHFR vitamins are fantastic!!! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: These MTHFR vitamins are fantastic!!!
lauirel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lauirel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nefferdun, I am so happy to hear your feeling much better!!

Reading through the thread, I just wanted to remind everyone about potassium levels. When the methylation cycle comes up, potassium will fall and can become dangerous. You can read about the potassium issues, at PhoenixRising.com, a CFS/ME forum chock full of info about methylation and the two protocols, including RichVanK's.

Laurie

--------------------
�Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it�s the only thing that ever has.�

Posts: 149 | From Kansas/Missouri | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jarjar
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jarjar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neff,are you still feeling "great" like when you first posted. Keep us up to date on how you are
feeling.

Posts: 805 | From Utopia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickssuck
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickssuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Neff, wondering how you're feeling? Still "great" I hope. Keep us posted. Sounds like you might be going to see the LLND in Seattle we PM'd about; hope it's helpful for you. TS
Posts: 566 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am doing about the same. I feel better than I did before quitting the abx but symptoms are sneaking back. In the evenings I have pain in my calves. It is not really bad but worries me. At night I have woken up a couple of times sweating.

I am not on any anti-malarials or abx but I am going to start a round of Coartem tomorrow. I was having mild headaches but they go away without any medication now. Some of this is probably detoxing. My eyes do not seem as dry and irritated.

I emailed the doctor requesting she hurry up our consulatation and she said she would call the lab to try to speed up getting the rest of the test results. After I talk with her, I will know a lot more.

I am not getting the symptoms back of depression, anxiety, extreme lack of motivation, sharp pains, cramps, overwhelming fatigue, dizziness, inability to concentrate etc. But in the past, things seemed to sneak up on me, especially the mental changes, so I don't feel completely safe not having any drugs. My last CD57 in October was 37 - very low and obviously infected.

I am taking a huge amount of supplements - not just the ones for the mutation. I am probably over zealous. The doctor did so many tests she should know exactly what I need to take.

If I did not develop any more symptoms than what I have now, I could get by for a long time and call myself well enough. If my legs quit aching at night and if I developed more stamina and eagerness to do things, I would say I was in remission - cured.

I hope these supplements will help my immune system stay on top of the infections better. In the past I always reached a point of intolerance to abx when the side effects were worse than the lingering infections.

I was forced to quit treating relying on herbs to get me by but I always relapsed - the first couple of years with a new infection I had not been treating. Then last fall it seemed to be the return of borellia and bart that was dormant rather than dead. I fall back into the pits of lyme, sometimes slowly, sometimes quickly.

So my hope is treating this mutation will help me be able to tolerate whatever drugs I need to get myself into remission. It will strengthen my immune system. It will help me detox the years of accumulated garbage that is causing me to decline mentally as well as physically.

And it might even change my life so much that I feel better and more normal than I ever imagined. That would not be such a stretch as I am sleeping better for the most part. I wonder what I have been missing all my life.

What would it have been like to have known about this when I was young so that something as simple as falling asleep could have been easy and natural. I could have taken my children on vacations, celebrated New Years and just lived feeling refreshed and ready for every new day.

It is not just about Lyme disease. It is much more.

My adult kids just started the vitamins. I am anxious to see how they feel in a month or so. As soon as I talk to the doctor I will update this.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickofsick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29258

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickofsick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been following this thread and I am so happy you are feeling some improvement. My daughter just got results showing she has one copy of C667T. I printed off article above and will add it to my reading!
Posts: 312 | From Utah | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickofsick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29258

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickofsick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nefferdun,
Will you or have you had your kids/family tested?

Posts: 312 | From Utah | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
neff - I am so glad you are still feeling better! I think that is HUGE.

Regarding the legs -- try to start some exercising. I think walking would be best, at least 20-30 minutes at a clip (really work at building up to that). I think bringing good circulation into your body will bring you to the next level and will possibly alleviate the leg issues.

Keep on going! You are doing great!

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
will somebody please tell me what "mtwthf" stands for? is it a brand or what???

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
re: I wonder what I have been missing all my life.

I can relate to that... I often wonder why we have to go through all of this.

Anyway- trying to be positive. I got all the supplements today & I started the protocol. I guess I'll see where it goes.

randi -

http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/gene/MTHFR

What is the official name of the MTHFR gene?

The official name of this gene is �methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (NAD(P)H).�

MTHFR is the gene's official symbol. The MTHFR gene is also known by other names, listed below.

Read more about gene names and symbols on the About page.

What is the normal function of the MTHFR gene?

The MTHFR gene provides instructions for making an enzyme called methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase. This enzyme plays a role in processing amino acids, the building blocks of proteins.

Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase is important for a chemical reaction involving forms of the B-vitamin folate (also called folic acid or vitamin B9). Specifically, this enzyme converts 5,10-methylenetetrahydrofolate to 5-methyltetrahydrofolate.

This reaction is required for the multistep process that converts the amino acid homocysteine to another amino acid, methionine. The body uses methionine to make proteins and other important compounds.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks. Dumb me. I thought it stood for Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday and Friday......lol

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gigimac
Member # 33353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gigimac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would it be reasonable to think that a sublingual b12 and folic acid supplement could help a bit even though it's not the complete and specific protocol?
Posts: 1534 | From Greensboro NC | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

thanks. Dumb me. I thought it stood for Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday and Friday......lol

--------------------

MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gigimac:
Would it be reasonable to think that a sublingual b12 and folic acid supplement could help a bit even though it's not the complete and specific protocol?

I would think that would provide very very little help for those with the gene problem. If you have limited availability to convert the regular folic acid, then supplementing with more of the regular folic acid doesn't sound like it help too much.
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am with you randibear! I won't say how I trained my mind to remember it.

sparkle you are so smart! I am still struggling to figure out what in the heck is going on with this mutation.

Walking is a good idea. I think I should take a walk right now. My fingers have done the walking for way too long.

But before I get off my rear end, I want say I just ordered the parts to finish our stairs. I was afraid to do it. I thought it would overwhelm me trying to figure things out. I couldn't even decide what I wanted. It has been ten years and now we are finally going to have a railing - and newel posts - and balusters - it will be all done - at last!

I have the mental, physical and emotional energy to do this (that is supervise my husband doing it). I finally can remember what part is what. I watched a video and decided it is not really all that hard to do.

By the way I got Perque activated B12 yesterday, which has 33,330 percent of the B12 you need. Nice.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not that smart - I just google things...LOL.

I tried just the folic acid a while ago to see if it would help & it didn't do much. I think you have to do the whole protocol.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gigimac
Member # 33353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gigimac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was hoping maybe there was a cheaper way to just give it a try but maybe I can get the money for the testing one of these days.

Considering how horribly I herx it seems like mthfr mutation could be a problem.

Posts: 1534 | From Greensboro NC | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

--------------------

sparkle7
Member # 10397

I think it's working for me. It was too much - actually. I must be one of those people who are sensitive. I woke up with a headache & I felt like someone hit me in the back with a 2 X 4... I started with the low dosage, too. I think I'm going to do it every other day & work it up slowly (as per dowsing).

I'll keep you posted...

Fordace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fordace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Loving this topic.....looks promising
Posts: 208 | From Hudson Valley, New York | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffyFan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BuffyFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
do you think everyone with lyme should get tested for this?

oh, and when I see MTHFR, I think of mother f'er, haha.(if anyone is offended by that, I'll remove it)

Posts: 287 | From somewhere | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickssuck
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickssuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BuffyFan (funny name),

It would take a lot to shock and offend me. I think your comment is hilarious. Considering I feel like crap, I appreciated the humor, thanks!

Completely unrelated....my friend's young son with LD and company has a port; they also have 3 small dogs, one of which is a Dachshund...her son's "screen name" when he plays computer games is, "Wiener with a Port." Funny!

Sorry moderators, remove this if you have to!
TS

Posts: 566 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jarjar
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jarjar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BuffyFan:
do you think everyone with lyme should get tested for this?

oh, and when I see MTHFR, I think of mother f'er, haha.(if anyone is offended by that, I'll remove it)

Actually that is appropriate for anything associated with our illness..the MTHFR gene disorder [lol]

I started it last night and it did make me sleepy as was mentioned. Had very slight headache but noticed last night and today I had good color in my face. My serine has not come in yet but it is optional so I went ahead and started protocol.
Good stable energy today and that's my report.

Posts: 805 | From Utopia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone with the CBS upregulation may find that they feel worse either over the long term or right away. That is because you will be making more toxins for your body to deal with as you try to supply your body with the methylation nutrients that some of you are taking.

Yasko talks about this quite a bit as do others. Most doctors who treat the methylation issues as a side issue seem to be missing this piece and don't test for it and don't seem to know about it.

http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Outcomes-Non-CV-Autism-Methyl%20Cycle.htm
"The CBS up regulation �pulls down the drain� all methyl cycle intermediates, generating ammonia and sulfur breakdown products. We must control this defect before we aggressively supplement you with methyl cycle intermediates; otherwise the intermediates will �fall down the drain�, aggravating your condition."

I wanted to make those of you who are supplementing for this aware of this potential problem. If you want to know more please go to Yasko's site and read. Even doing a search on the internet should yield some answers. There are lots of posts in the archives with links to yasko and other groups that talk about methylation.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Thanks Terry!
sparkle7
Member # 10397

This thread on another message board discusses the CBS upregulation -

http://www.prohealth.com/me-cfs/blog/boardDetail.cfm?id=1096847

Might be helpful...?

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Someone mentioned how they think of the letter combination, MTHFR . . .

well, I'm trying to cut down on my swearing, even in my "inside" voice -- so I've finally settled on

Monday - ugh. Nice to see everyone again but who, at the beginning of any week, does not want jump to:

THursday - and hop on to

FRiday.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fflutterby
Member # 28081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fflutterby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nicely said Keebler, a much nicer way than I remember it. I will use your way from now in !

--------------------
Psalm 46 1 God is our refuge and strength

Posts: 1367 | From North Jersey | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where can one get tested for MTHFR?
Anywhere online?

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panicphreak82
Member # 36403

Icon 1 posted      Profile for panicphreak82     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As TF mentioned, Spectracell is an amazing lab.

I had testing done with them this summer.

Another great lab is Genova. They do a test called NutraEval.

I take a B Vitamin Complex by Xymogen for the MTHFR mutation. It's called B Activ. Good stuff.

Posts: 77 | From Denver | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone have a coupon code for www.holisticheal.com
Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

fyi-

http://www.prohealth.com/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=16138

3. The best methylation test (the one we used in our study) is simply called a "methylation panel" from Vitamin Diagnostics Lab in New Jersey. [Now Health Diagnostics and Research Institute, phone 732 721-1234].

It runs about $325 for 11 measures of methylation chemistry, so it would be cheaper to just start the protocol, which is what I advise. I don't typically order the panel unless the patient is not responding to it adequately, so we can figure out what they are missing.

-----

Note - this test is not a genetic test. It tests for levels of various vitamin/nutrient levels in the body to see how methylation is occurring. It's a little different than the Yasko test.

It was the one Dr. vanK recommended.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement