LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » MCS-Daughter- need help Please

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MCS-Daughter- need help Please
Jane2904
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Daughter's MCS has worsened. This past week cannot sleep on her mattress, our couch bothers her also.

We have switched bedrooms, completely emptied bedroom.

I do not know what to do, until we figure out an area for her to sleep.

We have switched all cleaning products, gone fragrance free etc awhile ago.

I have rewashed her organic cotton sheets several times, etc. She has a cotton blanket, but has been washed in fragrance free detergent.

I am not sure if there is residue lingering from the fragranced detergents in her beddings, but all has been washed a few times in fragrance free.

Our house has been turned up side down removing items from rooms, to try and find any triggers. She has not been able to sleep for two nights.

Anyone has any ideas on what we may be able to use for bedding that she will not react.

She gets respiratory issues, so it gets hard to breath. We completely removed everything from room and out of desperation put in another mattress on hardwood floor, but it still bothers her breathing.

Her room has not carpeting and is bare bones now, except for a couple of metal stands and computer.

I cannot find one room in house that she is not bothered by.

Any ideas would be so appreciated. Thank you,

I have researched online and even the 100% organic mattresses can cause issues for people with MCS.

Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not know a whole lot about MCS. I found this website, which you probably have seen, but thought maybe you could review the list.

Hopefully someone else will chime in and help.

http://www.multiplechemicalsensitivity.org/multiple-chemical-sensitivity-triggers.php

Hoping for relief for daughter.

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://ciin.org/

CIIN - Chemical Injury Information Network

http://ciin.org/mcs.html

About MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivities)

. . . Disorders of Porphyrinopathy . . .

==================================

http://planetthrive.com/2010/04/hpukpu-protocol-for-lyme-and-autism/

HPU / KPU Protocol - Planet Thrive

===================================

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/91842?#000000

Topic: what type of M.D. tests for PORPHYRIA

Many good links here

==============================

http://www.ehcd.com/

The Environmental Health Center - Dallas, Texas

http://ilads.org/ilads_media/lyme-disease-videos/

3/4 of the way down:

IDENTIFYING ENVIRONMENTAL ILLNESS & MOLD EXPOSURE IN PATIENTS WITH PERSISTENT LYME DISEASE

Lisa L. Nagy, MD Video $15.

(Excellent to get, even if mold is not an issue, this is full of great information.)

She is NOT A LLMD, however, she understands the kind of toxicity issues faced by many with lyme. She did not have lyme but overcame very serious MCS. She spoke at the recent ILADS conference.

It's a great presentation to see. The DVD can be ordered. Great detail about toxicity issues also here:

http://lisanagy.com

Nagy Web Site

http://marycordaro.com/blog/

Mary Cordaro�s Healthy & Green BLOG

Safe Home for Health, Happy Families

http://www.dramyyasko.com/methylation-diagram/

Amy Yasko's Methylation Diagram

(and then be sure to find her homepage and her other works on this topic)

-------------------

http://www.mountainvalleyspring.com/

Mountain Valley water - in glass
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
The medical mushroom, CORDYCEPS (recommended in Burrascano's treatment guidelines) - as well as the herb, STINGING NETTLE come to mind.

I have severe MSC and these really help my breathing at times, and also help in so many other ways, too.

These two are where I would start, today, if possible.

Eclectic Institute is one of the best brands for Stinging Nettle and, sometimes, that is in stores.

Not sure about Cordyceps, as to what best brand would be in stores near you, though.
------------------------------------

From: The One Earth Herbal Sourcebook (Tilltoson, et.al.)

Home: http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/important-herbs/cordyceps-mushroom-cordyceps-sinensis.html

CORDYCEPS MUSHROOM (Cordyceps sinensis)

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/important-herbs/stinging-nettle-urtica-dioica.html

STINGING NETTLE (Urtica dioica)

---------------------

PubMed Search of Medical Abstracts:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Cordyceps%20sinensis

Cordyceps sinensis � 630 abstracts

Cordyceps sinensis, lungs � 34 abstracts

Stinging Nettle � 333 abstracts

Stinging Nettle, lungs � 6 abstracts
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, Dogs and Cats and Keebler [Smile]

I will read all the info. Many thanks

Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for willbeatthis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Jane: I have MCS too. I have to sleep on all organic bedding and my mattress is organic. Organic things do tend to smell "barnish" or green but I got over that.... It was the true chemicals that do me in.

The infrared sauna has helped me tremendously with this. I go to one in a pilates studio and shower afterwards. I do this almost every day.

The organic mattress I have was made by the crib company -Naturpedic. IT is not the softest around but I could handle it and nothing else was even plausible. The cost is much more reasonable than others out there. I am so sorry you all are going through this... It makes Lyme that much harder.

I would be happy to share anything else-- Baking soda might get rid of any lingering smells from old soaps as might vinegar. I always use those two when trying to get something really "free". Blessings to you all... you will get through this...

Posts: 859 | From Southeast | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some people say leaky gut is responsible for chemical sensitivity. Don't know what you do about it. Maybe look into this?
Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane2904:

She gets respiratory issues, so it gets hard to breath.

Salt cave therapy can help people with MCS.
http://www.saltcave.co.uk/faq.html#howitworks

Since that may be difficult to arrange, you can try using a salt pipe/inhaler to ease breathing.
http://www.amazon.com/Original-Aroma-Therapipe-Respiratory-Asthma/dp/B000OZQBV8

You can search for salt inhaler at Amazon.com and at eBay.com.
This kills germs, reduces inflammation, helps to open the airways.

Also, salt lamps might help too.
The negative ions from them are soothing.
Search for salt lamp on Amazon.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riverspirit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19435

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riverspirit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Jane,

It sounds like a challenging situation for you and your daughter. Like so many here, i also have chemical sensitivities.

As willbeatthis says, baking soda can be quite helpful for getting detergent residues out of clothing and bedding.

One supplement that helps me with allergic reactions is Tri-salts, which is made by "ecological formulas". It's quite inexpensive. One only needs to take a half a teaspoon in some water throughout the day.

Because i have a hard time swallowing powders, a friend makes capsules for me: a double ot (00) capsule equals a half a teaspoon.

This formula can be purchased online at iherb or amazon or any of several vendors.

The other idea that comes to me is a quality air purifier. I just purchased an "airpura" after extensive research. So far i'm quite satisfied with it, and on low it isn't too loud.

Sending peace and ease ~
riverspirit

Posts: 164 | From North America | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riverspirit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19435

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riverspirit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Jane,

It sounds like a challenging situation for you and your daughter. Like so many here, i also have chemical sensitivities.

As willbeatthis says, baking soda can be quite helpful for getting detergent residues out of clothing and bedding.

One supplement that helps me with allergic reactions is Tri-salts, which is made by "ecological formulas". It's quite inexpensive. One only needs to take a half a teaspoon in some water throughout the day.

Because i have a hard time swallowing powders, a friend makes capsules for me: a double ot (00) capsule equals a half a teaspoon.

This formula can be purchased online at iherb or amazon or any of several vendors.

The other idea that comes to me is a quality air purifier. I just purchased an "airpura" after extensive research. So far i'm quite satisfied with it, and on low it isn't too loud.

Sending peace and ease ~
riverspirit

Posts: 164 | From North America | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds kind of dire to me - can she sleep in her clothes, and if she can still touch her clothes, what about creating a set-up out of them, even pinning them together so she can wrap herself in them?

I've had severe MCS and had to get very creative, as in only have the things around me that I can touch, and even if the protection seems nuts, maybe it's the only stuff we can touch. Luckily, I had one blanket left that I could touch.

Good news is, I'm now recovering through detoxing in a FIR sauna - first it was a biomat, and now a portable FIR tent. I think you could find a tent for slightly under $200 online.

It's working - after 6 months of sweating out toxins once a week, I could handle smells again. And now I'm gradually starting to be able to touch materials again.

If she tries the sweating, she's supposed to stay in until she sweats, then shower off the toxins.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imagine2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imagine2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jane,
My daughter has debilitating MCS. She really wants to help your daughter. Some things she suggests are:

1.Hepa filter with Activated Carbon. www.allerair.com

2. Activated Carbon Filter Mask: www.icanbreathe.com

3. New organic sheets washed ONLY with fragrance free detergent she can tolerate. Sheets that have ever been washed with regular detergent will never be ok.

4. Try a mattress cover to block smells from the mattress, washing the cover multiple times with fragrance free detergent. May have to try a couple of different types of covers to see which one she can tolerate best.

Our hearts go out to her. My daughter says she understands her agony and how important it is for her to have a "safe place".

Posts: 677 | From Virginia | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manybites
Member # 33750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for manybites         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too have had severe issue and could not even smell anything as I would have vomited easy from anything.

As I was in treatment and did reduce the infections and taking binders , I added sauna.I did try saunas for very long and if she sweats in sauna she will released this toxins out through her skin.

When I was in high dosages to treat bartonella it was horrible feeling and sufering from the smell.But sauna saved me.In the break from the treatment I continued sauna and I finally could go to the store and walk right where the detergents are and have had no problems with it.

Than babesia Fully exsploded as it was untreated and I have had to be in high dosages again to treat babesia.The MCS started again and I felt toxic again from the drugs.I went in back to saunas daily for 15-20 minutes.I sweat around the head and the face.

This makes me feel better and like I can breath.I found saunas exstremely helpful for it.Yes I tried binders.The best of all was Iv Ozone to detox.But was short lived in my case as I have had a babesia untreated at the time and blew up babesia as it feeds it.

I also have used homepathic formula , Vials and as well bionic with high dosages of activated corcoal in empty stomak after I had a coffe enema first so the body /gut was almost empty and it worked better to dump the toxins out of the cells.

So you can get better with the above.I am not sure which one you can efford but saunas should be for the entire family helpful and you can find cheaper ones.

Mine is a infrared saunas ( they are the best in the market for all the reasons that are used on saunas topic).

I have also done 8 liver flushes that helped my liver and cleaned most of parasites before i started antibiotics.This way you are ready to handle chemicals otherwise is a nightmare.Some have issues with pathways for detoxing and this need to be addressed as well.

It takes time but if you address the infections over time you reduce them and do some cofee enema , binders and sauna as cheapest than her life will be easier.I used to get all the bed sheets for allergis that are exspensive and change mattreses and change flagrance free before I found out I have lyme and coinfections.

Now I spent on treatment and life it has become easier to handle rather than investing in the around area.She need to clean her infections and detox as much as posible.

Posts: 1379 | From disable | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Thanks to each and everyone that took the time to post.

I am reading each post and will look into and try suggestions.

Thank you so much. You are all truly angels!!

lightfoot
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry for your dilemma.

You've been offered wonderful ideas and resources here.

We've been there too, our daughter and myself.

Cotton barrier cloth is very useful...to cover many things from mattresses to bookcases. It is a heavy tightly woven fabric.....you'll have to Google a source.

Another useful item is tin foil.....can be used to cover many things, block openings around and under the doors etc.

Perhaps an aluminum cot without the mattress would be a good start......use clothes or whatever is safe for bedding as someone suggested above.

I wonder about the wisdom of having a computer in the bedroom. Books and computers are best kept in another part of the house.

And I can't stop writing until I have mentioned food. The beauty of this....it can be done right now. This is the easiest way to reduce the total load in the barrel (our bodies). We found that mono meals helped a lot, one food per meal.....if it sounds drastic, it is, however it is a great help to getting back to tolerating the world. Less drastic is two to three pure whole foods per meal.....food in it's natural state.

And finally.....chemically sensitive people are most often deficient in the amino acid taurine. It is water soluble and can be safely taken in very large doses. Best bet is to purchase the powder/crystals and mix it in water...it is tasteless. That way one avoids the excipients. Luckily it is rather inexpensive. Now brand offers one and there are others.

Taurine: http://www.ei-resource.org/forum/multiple-chemical-sensitivity-mcs/2376-taurine/

Taurine is involved in the detox process in many ways. It also plays a major role in the brain as an 'inhibitory' neurotransmitter. For that reason it can be useful in the treatment of anxiety, seizures, insomnia, restlessness, irritability, agitation and depression. So it also inhibits the release of adrenaline/epinephrine - the stress hormone.

Benefits of taurine can be noticed quickly.

Selenium was/is also important for us. http://www.diagnose-me.com/treat/T86122.html

--------------------
Healing Smiles.....lightfoot [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 7228 | From CO | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't taken the time to read everyone's posts, but wanted to suggest checking out the recent MTHFR threads. May help the underlying issue so the MCS lessens. I have a good feeling about this...

Good luck.

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Thank you Lightfoot. Great suggestions, thanks so much.

Tammy, she does have one copy of MTHFR, but does not seem to tolerate the Methylation protocol.

We are trying small doses of a multi vit. that has the methylated forms in it. Going slow. Thanks for posting.

Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jane - somehow, in baby steps, it seems that the methylation issue needs to be addressed. I think that may be your answer. How to go about it is another question.... Maybe just start with one supp (Falopro) and cut it into quarters as a start.

Good luck.

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chootik
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chootik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried looking into Mold issues?

I have similar issues not as bad but just recently figuered out I have Mold so have to detox for that.

Mold can be hard to figure out. If you can do a HLA DR Test with a knowledgable Dr. that could point you to the right direction.

I think mean time the detox ideas mentioned here will def. help her out.

Good luck

Posts: 247 | From Ca | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The detoxigenomic liver bloodtest through Genova Diagnostic Lab will show which detox pathways are genetically compromised. It helped my doctor see more what was going on with me.

Still, irregardless of that diagnostic info, my salvation is the FIR sauna - it's the only way I'm slowly healing from MCS.

What I saw is I did it for 6 months with no result, and then suddenly, just like that, I could handle smells.

My doctor explained that I had unloaded just enough stored toxins to begin to handle processing new ones.

So if you go ahead and get an FIR sauna tent, or whatever form you get it, just stick with it because it takes time to sweat out the toxins.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tonglen
Member # 18472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tonglen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've crashed twice from mcs. You need to get her in a safe environment immediately. See if there is a relative or friend's house that she can tolerate. If so, empty out one room for her to stay in. Be careful of carbon air purifiers. I am reactive to coconut carbon which is the standard carbon used. Better off in a tolerable place with the windows open a crack for ventilation. If not, check out hotels near you that may have a green room- tile floors, air purifier, organic bedding, fragrance free cleansers, and open windows. Hard to find, but not impossible. Once she has stabilized, you can follow the good suggestions people have made. For a mattress, try Heart of Vermont organic cotton futon as a less pricey alternative. Good luck!
Posts: 70 | From U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement