LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » C4a Testing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: C4a Testing
jlf2012
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlf2012     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone just mentioned this to me today. I know nothing about it and was wondering what any of you know about this testing. I haven't been tested or officially diagnosed...see doctor in two weeks. Since he's ILADS trained do you think he'll do this test?
Posts: 463 | From Sandusky, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, and ILADS doctor will test and also do a C3a test. The levels of these tests can determine if borrelia is your main issue or something else.
Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's not my understanding..... I think it measures something more along the lines of inflammatory issues. It is used by Dr. S for testing in mold sensitive patients, etc. I'm pretty certain it is not Borrelia specific.
Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Summer3
Member # 35286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Summer3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not had this test. Do most LLMD's run it?

It's my understanding that the levels can be abnormal as a response to many different conditions. Therefore, it is not specific to lyme.

--------------------
http://www.lymepie.blogspot.com

Posts: 1129 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RC1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RC1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It can be a mold indicator if C4a is high and C3a is normal. If they are both high it is Lyme.
Posts: 845 | From Northeast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marypart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marypart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RC1,

Where did you hear about the C4a vs. C3a being an indicator for mold?

Do you have a link.

Thanks.

--------------------
Son, 26, Dx Lyme 4/10, Babs 8/10
Had serious arthritis, all gone.
Currently on Valtrex
Daughter, 26,bullseye 7/11
arthritis in knees, cured and off all meds. .
Self:Lyme, bart, sxs gone, no longer treating.

Posts: 496 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanda
Member # 14107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think many people confuse Dr. S's work as a mold-only issue. Probably because he spends a lot of time talking about mold. Its confusing and the material is complicated.

His work is not just about mold. It is more a matter of biotoxins (i.e. antigens) (be they lyme, mold, Marcons,even certain algae etc...) and whether you have a genetic susceptibility to the antigens made by those organisims.

You could have high C4a and normal c3a, but if you have the gene that makes it hard t clear lyme biotoxins, but not the gene that makes you susceptable to mold (or the multi susceptable gene), and the buildings you spend time in do not have high mold, then lyme toxins might be your problem, not mold.

There are many other test that go along with teh c3a and c4a, and those tests all need to be done to get a complete picture before an assessment is made. Watch out for this, many very good LLMDs are just getting up to snuff on this, and may not have it all down yet. IT is still very much a new science.

For information on this you can go to his website survivingmold.com

--------------------
"few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" - Mark Twain

Posts: 1008 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RC1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RC1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marypart, ditto what Amanda said.
Posts: 845 | From Northeast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chootik
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chootik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amanda is very correct.

I went to a few of the best docs in Lyme/Chronic Fatigue and they didn't really know much about the C4a.

As my current doctor says the C4a is a marker of Neurotoxins, C3a is not that significant and she said it tests for fragments of bacteria.

We did the HLA DR Test on me and since my C4a is very elevated it came back that I have entirely Mold and Toxin issues, but not Lyme and also not the Multisuseptable gene.

It's taken a long time to find someone who actually knew this stuff. If you can find a DAN doctor that works with Autistic kids, they usually know more about all the metabolic stuff beyond just the antibiotics.

Good luck

Posts: 247 | From Ca | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement