LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Low oxalate diet [LOD] experiences?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Low oxalate diet [LOD] experiences?
ukcarry
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD recommended that I look into the GAPS diet because of ongoing digestive/allergic issues, so I bought the book and read it, only to find that a blood test came back high in uric acid.

Since the mainstay of the GAPs [meat and fish broths, organ meats etc] are high in uric acid, I decided to leave the GAPS for now.

Other than avoiding high uric acid forming foods, I am looking into the low oxalate diet instead and finding some very plausible arguments for links between high oxalates and leaky gut in some people.

Who here has tried a low oxalate diet and did it have any effect on your symptoms?

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdp710
Member # 34017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jdp710     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tried the diet a few years ago. I had "extreme" herxes.

Whatever you do, make sure you go slow in doing the low oxalate diet as I went straight from a high oxalate diet to low too fast and I would get the occasional what's called dump.

Yes, I believe the low oxalate diet is beneficial for those with lyme.

But keep in mind it's one of the hardest diets you can do as you'll crave the high oxalate foods and the herxing can be very bad if you go to fast.

Posts: 52 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I considered a low-oxalate diet years ago regarding the Guaifenesin protocol but did not go ahead.

Is there no other way to address this? Maybe balance with other things rather than cut out oxalates as so much food that is really very good for us would have to be avoided.

I know I really need my leafy greens. Could never give them up. Same with certain supplements.

But I've not had to, so I've not researched all the thinking on this regarding alternative approaches. I would just want to know if there is some other way to approach this.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Did you get a follow up test for the uric acid? Just to confirm.

Regarding your stomach issues, I assume you are free of gluten, corn, soy and dairy? If not, you may see some improvements.

You probably are clear of additives but, just to be sure some have not sneaked in:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=029690;p=0

Excitotoxins; MSG; Aspartame; & "Natural" Flavors
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you both.

I hear your warning JDP710. I am considering only trying the calcium citrate and cutting out some big offenders so far as high oxalates go as an initial step. If I see a difference over a few months, I may then look further into it. Which Lyme symptoms did the diet help with?

I know that a special probiotic that 'eats' oxalate is supposed to be on the horizon and that would be a much more pleasant way of reducing levels! At present only VSL3 is recommended as a partial help.

I agree with you, Keebler, that many 'healthy' foods would be excluded on a low oxalate plan and that's one reason I am wondering about oxalates being part of my issue, as nearly all my favourite healthy foods are on the high or medium lists. It would go against the grain [pardon the pun!] for me to cut out some of my veg, nuts and spices and eat white rice, start boiling rather than steaming veg.

I have been ill a long time and digestive problems have gradually worsened, even though I have been fairly obedient when it comes to a candida diet since 2003. I eat a balanced, 'clean' diet of organic foods, meat and fish twice each per week,lots of veg, low grain/potato, plenty of homemade soups etc. I watch additives, but you're right that some may creep in occasionally.

I am largely free of gluten,yeast, dairy [occasional goats/sheeps cheese/yogurt/kefir], corn [occas. xylitol] and soy. I eat no sweet foods except for green apples and blueberries in moderation [and lemons], but I must own up to the odd glass of red wine from time to time, though I am being very strict at present. 9 years [ie since starting anti-candida diet in 2003] is a long time to say no to a glass of wine!

Another problem of the low oxalate diet is that there is disagreement about some foods on the internet. Most green veg do seem to be OK except for spinach, but the lists do vary.

I do have an ingrained candida/leaky gut problem and the high uric acid is probably related to yeast/yeast die-off. I have started on tart cherry capsules and chanca piedra tea to try to keep the levels reasonable.

Sorry if that was too much information and thank you again for your responses.

Has anyone else tried the Low Oxalate Diet?

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emla999/Lyme
Member # 12606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emla999/Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For what it's worth, for many years, Col. Joe Hart has been advocating that we should be eating and drinking foods that contain oxalic acid. He claims that oxalic acid is very useful in treating various health problems, everything from infections to cancer. I don't know whether his claims are true or not but Col. Joe claims that he has been deliberately eating and drinking foods that contain oxalic acid for many years.

http://www.coljoe.net

http://www.coljoe.com

http://www.oneradionetwork.com/healing-modalites/colonel-joe-only-one-thing-causes-cancer-and-smoking-is-not-it-november-14-2011/

Posts: 1223 | From U.S.A | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had no luck with the low oxolate diet. I do much better with alkalizing foods.
Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement