LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » LDN--feeling terrible!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: LDN--feeling terrible!!
whitmore
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for whitmore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started LDN 10 days ago at 1 mg. in the hopes that it would boost my immune system. Since then I have been feeling steadily worse, with increasing muscle stiffness, especially in the neck, worsening brain fog and, worst of all, horrible depression.

The depression had been kept at bay with zoloft, but it seems like the LDN negates it.

To anyone who has tried it, is this normal for people who have lyme and co? If so, does it improve?

Posts: 226 | From Princeton | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure it is the LDN? Where are you in the flare/herx cycle?

I am also on a low dose and it does not do this to me. Of course, everyone is different.

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoOverIt
Member # 31168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoOverIt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LDN can make you herx and make some symptoms worse. Many have to start out at .05MG and slowily work up from there.

I have been on it since August 11, and it has beem a MIRACLE for me. I am up to 3.5MG and that seems to be the "happy spot" for me!

Posts: 60 | From usa | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whitmore
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for whitmore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the replies. I don't really have a herx cycle. Sadly, I feel pretty lousy all the time, but worse since the LDN, so pretty sure that's the cause. I'll hang in if this is a herx and maybe try to split the capsules. BTW, has anyone tried mixing their own from regular strength naltrexone per internet instructions? It's appealing since the dose can then be infinitely adjusted.
Sue

Posts: 226 | From Princeton | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have capsules, you can put the contents in an amount of water, then use whatever dose you calculate. I am actually doing that with the 3 mg capsule. Putting the remainder in fridge in a little jar with a lid, taking it the next day. Doing it on my own. You might want to ask your pharmacist if there is any reason not to.
Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on LDN for 2 months.

On day 13 my pain and stiffness got worse, especially in my neck and shoulders...but basically all over.

On that day I could not even lift my right arm.

The pain has improved from that awful day, but it is not better than it was before.

I also had some nights in the beginning where I slept more hours than usual.

I started on 1.5 mg for 1 week, then increased to 3 mg for 1 week and then increased to 4.5 mg, where I remain.

My LDN is in the form of sublingual drops.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is fine to dilute it - distilled water is preferred and it must be refrigerated afterwards. If you put your 1mg capsule in a small bottle and add 4 droppers of water (shake), then each dropper will only be 0.25 mg.

I could not take LDN because I think I was just detoxing too much. It also seems to bring all the infections out of the wood work so expect a lot of herxing. I plan to start back as soon as I finish some major detoxing (get my methylation cycles going again). It is a good idea to start with a very low dose and work up slowly.

LDN creates endorphins and is used to treat depression so you should feel better after awhile. I felt very happy and calm on it.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whitmore
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28721

Thanks again. Dekrator48--are you getting any benefit from it in terms of mood? I can't imagine staying on it for 2 months if all I got from it was more stiffness/pain.
Sue

SoOverIt
Member # 31168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoOverIt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dek, I am wondering if you ramped up too soon as well as on too high of a dose right now????
Posts: 60 | From usa | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoOverIt
Member # 31168

The other "benefit" I got from the LDN is I was able to quit smoking! Yes, I am now 7 weeks cold turkey! I was 2 packs per day for 27 years (well not all 27 yrs at 2 packs).

I did not know that LDN could assist in this, until after I quit and I was marvelling over it and someone pointed me to an article where it said LDN is helping some quit smoking..Something to do with endorphines!

Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just followed what my LLMD said to do about the dosing.

I was not depressed, so I cannot say that I noticed any difference in my mood.

The increased pain and stiffness went back down to what is was to start with, so it did not stay at an increased level for 2 months.

I see my LLMD on March 6, so I'll see if I should continue it or not.

He initially wanted me to try it for 2 months.

--------------------

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is now recommended not to go over 3 mg. 4.5 used to be recommended for cancer but now Dr. Zagon has said 3 is the optimum dose for everyone. It will increase pain in the beginning with some conditions. There is a LDN yahoo group that answers a lot of questions.

Dekrator,, that is great it helped you quit smoking. I have tried to get my daughter's boyfriend to try it for his back pain but he can't stop the pain meds.

Maybe it would be a double benefit and help him quit smoking too. He does not realize there are over 200 toxins, heavy metals and carcinogens in tobacco, all of which cause more inflammation making his back pain worse.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlcd1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlcd1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on it for about 6 months. I love it. I got worse for about a month, and then started to have more energy.

I think this has helped me a lot.

Posts: 908 | From Albany | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Hi neff,

I have never smoked....that was SoOverIt who quit smoking....lol.

Can you direct me to a link of Dr Zagon's where he says that 3 mg is optimal?

I've been looking at his info and LDN site and I keep seeing 4.5 mg as the standard dose, although it says it can really vary from 1.5 mg to 10 mg.

The link below says that MS patients who have muscle spasms should only take 3 mg....

http://www.lowdosenaltrexone.org/#What_dosage_and_frequency

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement