LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Quest Labs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Quest Labs
sissy36
Member # 36434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sissy36     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just noticed that the llmd I am going to see uses only Quest lab.

I have heard that it needs to be Igenex to help with a possible Lyme diagnoses?

Also, would you recommend trying to get your regular md to send off bloodwork to Igenex before seeing a llmd?

symptoms for 18 years

Posts: 6 | From South Carolina | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susank
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would ask your GP to test you with the new direct culture test from Advanced Laboratory Services. Read my sig. line and you will understand why I say that. I think that somewhere along the way I also tested with Quest and was negative there as well.

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
IGM 18,28,41,66 IND: 23-25,34,39
IGG 41,58 IND: 39
Bart H IGG 40

Posts: 1613 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susank
Member # 22150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Further thoughts. If anyone feels I should delete this reply please let me know.

Suppose you test positive with Advanced Lab via your GP.

Your LLD tests you via Quest or Labcorp for Lyme, Mycoplasma Pneumonia, Chlamydia Pneumonia, ASO Strep etc. And you come back neg. for Lyme but positive for other infections. The LLD could prescribe Abx for the other infections - that would also hit Lyme.

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

Posts: 1613 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Susan, your post is just fine. Good thoughts.

Sissy, in addition to some other tests that Quest might be okay with . . . if the lyme test happens to come back positive, it is likely covered by your insurance.

But, if a "CDC negative" it could mean your insurance will not pay if a later test is positive.

Read BEFORE any testing:
------------------------------------

http://www.canlyme.com/seronegreasons.html

27 REASONS WHY A SERONEGATIVE TEST RESULT MIGHT OCCUR

======================================

The new ADVANCED LABS lyme test is the last post here:
-------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=015508;p=0

Diagnosing Lyme Disease (&/or whatever else is going on)

Includes other tick-borne infections and other chronic stealth infections.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When locating a possible LLMD, the first thing you should ask them on the phone is what labs they use for testing. If they only use Quest or LabCorp, go elsewhere. Just my opinion.

My LLMD used LabCorp for auxiliary testing, but Igenex for Lyme and coinfections.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard1062
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard1062     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our daughter had several negative Lyme tests from Quest but a strongly positive one, including CDC positive, from Igenex.
Posts: 228 | From Mass. | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susank
Member # 22150

I think it might be possible that LLD's (and patients) don't want a positive test in the chart. A neg. test could mean treatment is not for LD. No flags raised. Treat for the other infections that tend to come with LD - MyP., CP., ASO Strep - etc. Usually same Abx and long treatment times.

I don't know re: insurance companies paying for Abx long-term knowing Dx is LD. I would think that some might not pay.

If you have several infections - treat for those and hopefully hit LD.

Sometimes I get a little worried when folks have positive LD tests in their charts. Maybe some doctors do as well.

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want a regular doctor to order the Igenex tests for you, you have to be sure the one drawing the blood will follow the Igenex instructions. The blood must be drawn Mon, Tues or Wed and express mailed.

If this is not done, you have wasted all of your money. Blood that sits too long (in the office, in the mail, etc.) will clump and will then return a negative result for lyme.

So, read the following thread that explains the Western Blot and how the blood must be prepared and shipped:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/42077?

Then, decide whether you trust your doc's office or other lab to follow these instructions. I would get it clear with them in advance before setting up the blood draw. You are paying a lot of money for the tests. So, you want to be sure your blood is handled properly.

A lyme doc's staff does all of this routinely since they deal with Igenex all the time, but a regular doc's staff has likely never had to do this--express mail, draw blood only early in the week, etc.

The lyme doc's staff calls for pick up of the blood as soon as it is drawn, it seems to me.

Also know that your reg doctor will get the Igenex results. Whoever signs the order for the test will get the results. Then, you have to get them from that doc.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymenotlite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymenotlite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor requested an IGenex test and I had the blood draw done at Quest. Quest ignored my doctor's request for IGenex and did the test themselves.
Posts: 705 | From WA state | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
miklizro
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for miklizro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to get our primary care Dr. to sign the Igenex lab order, emailed and got the test kit from Igenex, went to CLAB with the instructions from Igenex highlighted.
They drew it and spun it for us charging a $50 handling fee and when it was done handed it to me to mail in the fed ex packaging that Igenex sent with the kit.
Quest or other labs do not send stuff to Igenex.

Posts: 21 | From Cape Cod, Ma | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lymenotlite:
My doctor requested an IGenex test and I had the blood draw done at Quest. Quest ignored my doctor's request for IGenex and did the test themselves.

-
[shake]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My old doc did initial test with igenex and then did regular checkbox with quest so the ins would pay

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My PCP used Quest Labs for ME & we got back significant results after a week.
I tested + for almost all bands on the Western Blot's IgG panel. (CDC+)
But that's probably due to my strong immune system reaction to the Lyme...
likely more than 1 strain acc. to ALL my docs.

A month later, my LLMD sent my blood off to Igenex for a "better look".
They test for more anti-bdy bands on BOTH the IgM & IgG Western blots.
The results confirmed the Quest findings, but with more resoution.

I'd find a doc who is atleast *willing* to use IgeneX, even if you have to pay for it in advance.
They're a better lab when it comes to TBDs.

I'm pretty sure your doc uses Quest as it's closer & a standard nation-wide laboratory group that has a good reputation.

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement