LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Low temperature

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Low temperature
Larae30
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larae30     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been either having a flare or herx the past couple days and was sweaty all day today, so took my temp and it was 97. I was expecting it to be higher! I think it's normal for lyme to cause low temp? I had also taken a hot epsom salt bath an hr prior to taking my temp.

All my thyroid tests have been normal and I am awaiting adrenal test results also. Just wanted to make sure it was typical and I shouldn't be worried.

--------------------
Treating lyme, bart and babs

Posts: 506 | From NE | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sitting here sweating and my body temp is about 94-95 degrees -the new "normal" for me. It doesn't make sense, but this is a common with Lyme patients.

Not to worry. Just feel better soon!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This might be of interest...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_body_temperature

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bugs control our body temp...usually low...they don't like heat.

98.6 has long been considered the average normal body temperature. From personal experience and accounts from others, it's becoming apparent that temperatures lower than 98.6 may signal illness, just as higher than normal temperatures do.

I have especially noticed that Lyme Disease patients and many of those labeled with such conditions as Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, almost always have temperatures which fall into the 95, 96, and 97 degree range. When these patients' temperatures rise to say only 99.3,many are actually feeling very ill and experiencing a fever. The problem is the mainstream medical community does not recognize this.

Just as an example, the lyme disease microbe thrives on low temperature living conditions as well as low oxygen environments. This is why sometimes people utilize heat therapies, such as Infared saunas and malaria therapy. Hyperbaric oxygen treatments are also popular.

The other day I went with a relative to see a lyme doctor. Fortunately this relative tested highly positive on the standard lyme tests, which makes it much easier for them to get diagnosed and treated. The nurse took his temperature and noted that it was 96.4. She remarked that she didn't know why 98.6 was considered a normal temperature when most patients she saw had much lower temperatures.

I pointed out to her that almost all Lyme patients have low body temperatures and that this particular doctor that she works for sees a disproportionate number of Lyme patients....because there are just not many doctors who will treat chronic lyme. She was very surprised. While some lyme doctors are very aware of this, the doctor she works for doesn't seem to take the temperature factor into account.

The question I think we should be asking is, can microbes alter their environment to suit their specific survival needs? Can they specifically target the thyroid? Low thyroid equals low body temperature. Many patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Lyme, Fibromyalgia, etc do have low or borderline low thyroid. There is a condition called Wilson's Syndrome which is a condition of low thyroid and low body temperature. But what is the root cause of thyroid problems?

Do the microbes attack the thyroid making it inefficient or does perhaps radiation or some other factor harm the thyroid which lowers the body temperature and the immune system, allowing the germs to thrive?

We need to delve into the main reasons as to why our bodies are not functioning properly. Perhaps instead of just handing out thyroid hormones to everyone , as a bandaid solution, we need to find out why the thyroid is not functioning properly and address the root cause. I feel that microbes and chemicals in the environment are some of the main causes of our chronic illnesses.

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve.....really nicely put. I have constant chills and a temp around 96-97
Your theory is interesting as is your observation of what should be considered a fever if ones normal temp is really low. I have tried to point this out many times to docs but apparently many are not willing to really think outside the box

--------------------
Tick bite in 2006, bullseye rash, treated with 2 rounds of 2 weeks of doxy. (once in 2006, once in 2009)
Dx with chronic Lyme May 2011.
LLMD April 2012, Treating with omnicef/zith
Lots of supplements!

Posts: 640 | From Connecticut | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same problem a few years ago, Doc's don't want to talk about this problem!

My temp was 95-96 for about 2-3 years, better now, but I'm still cold/chilled all the time.

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emla999/Lyme
Member # 12606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emla999/Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might want to take a look at Matt Stone's website because he has written alot about the negative health effects of having a chronically low body temperature and what you can do to increase body temperature.

http://180degreehealth.com/2010/02/body-temperature-in-decline

For years I had a low body temperature. I also had the cold hands and feet and a host of other symptoms that would be attributed by most LLMD's to chronic lyme disease or some other chronic infection and/or toxin. But when I incorporated some of Matt's suggestions into my daily routine my body temperature finally started to rise back to normal and my cold hands and feet have become a thing of the past....... plus many of my "chronic lyme disease" symptoms such as the brain fog, profound chronic fatigue, tremors, muscle twitching and etc. have improved dramatically!!! And now, I must admit, that I a beginning to have serious doubts that chronic lyme disease was the real culprit behind my years of poor health. I now think that my chronic low body temperatures/low metabolism was the cause of most of my health problems. And my excessive water drinking/overhydration, avoidance of salt and my years of eating a "healthy diet and living a "healthy life style" seems to have been what was causing my low body temperature and most of my health problems.

It's a shame that it has taken me over 15 years to realize this!!!

Essentially, according to Matt, having a chronically low body temperature is usually a sign that your body isn't functioning optimally and that your metabolism is off. He seems to think that the ideal body temperature is right around 98.6 or slightly above. He says that it is best to measure your temperature first thing in the morning.

http://180degreehealth.com/2010/02/checking-basal-body-temperature

http://180degreehealth.com/2012/01/body-temperature-and-mortality

And if you want to raise your body temperature then I would highly recommend that you read Matt's ebook "Diet Recovery". I have incorporated some of his dietary advice and my body temperature has went up. A person's diet seems to play a huge role in body temperature. Things such as drinking less water and/or drinking less unsweetened beverages seem to help increase body temperature. Eating more salt, sugars/sweetners and carbohydrates seems to help increase the body temperature as well. And eating more highly palatible, highly absorbale, high caloried foods will usually help to increase body temperature. At least it has for me.

"Diet Recovery"

http://180degreehealth.com/2012/01/diet-recovery

Posts: 1223 | From U.S.A | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TestyTommy
Member # 35790

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TestyTommy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was at my sickest, my body temp was always around 95. I remember going to the doctor a couple years ago and the nurse was taking my vitals. She put the thermometer in my mouth and it started beeping. She looked at it and said there was no reading. "Oh, I forgot you're a Lymie. I need to use the other (more sensitive) thermometer." My temp was around 96 that day.

Last month when I went to the doctor, it was 98.0! Body temp is one metric to gauge our recovery.

Posts: 17 | From Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymenow
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymenow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol, do not worry. my regular body temp is in the 95-96 range. it all gets better with recovery. i never get a reading on any thermometer and the nurse looks at me like whats wrong with you?
Posts: 109 | From PA | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement