LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What are some signs of yeast overgrowth?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What are some signs of yeast overgrowth?
tiffagoo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tiffagoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you please explain signs of yeast overgrowth. Is everyone sugar free?
Posts: 151 | From california | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lauralyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauralyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are actually very similar to lyme symptoms.
There is a list somewhere on this forum of yeast symptoms and it's amazing how they match lyme symptoms.

I am sugar free.

--------------------
Fall down seven times, get up eight
~Japanese proverb

Posts: 1146 | From west coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T.Maria
Member # 36396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for T.Maria     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on a sugarfree and yeast free diet....highly recommended.
Posts: 98 | From Ontario | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The main symptoms are bloating, gas, itching, etc.

Here's a list of symptoms....

http://www.candida-albicans-cure.com/candida-albicans-symptoms.html

Are you following the diet and taking plenty of probiotics?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that many women have to go sugar/starch free. But, I've met some that don't. We are all different. It depends on what we have, as well as what we have been exposed to in the past.

I felt horrible last week. I thought I was getting a weird reaction from my meds, but it turned out to be yeast. Only had mild itching on my foot.

Once I took a diflucan, my head and body felt so much better about 2 hrs later. I was surprised how much it felt like a wicked herx (never knew yeast could do that). I know what gave it to me (topical).

I need to watch out for topical stuff that has any form of sugar/substitute in it.

I have to eat sugar free, and starch free or I get sharp pains, feel sick & itch (vaginal and feet). I do Burrascano's anti candida diet. It works.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blinkie
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi tiff! I get dry skin all over, upset, bloated tummy if I eat anything with more than say, 10 mgs of sugar in it and I get tired and stiff knee joints.
Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get joint pain from it too.

MEN need to follow the same diet.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tiffagoo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tiffagoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am gluten free and try to avoid sugar. But I am not 100% sugar free. I take VSL#3 probiotics, and I only drink water. I've never really been a soda drinker anyway.

So if the signs of yeast overgrowth are similar to Lyme, how do you know for sure it's yeast?

Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it.

Posts: 151 | From california | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tiffagoo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23750

ok, so I checked out the diet. Raw Milk? Really? I thought raw milk was bad for you because it contains lots of bacteria?
tiffagoo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23750

One More thing. IS Burrascano's anti candida diet in a book, or can I get a copy online?
Larae30
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larae30     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only symptoms I seem to have of yeast are yellow toenails and I feel like I'm getting dandruff. I don't have bloating or itching or any of that... My LLMD wants me to take difuclan.

--------------------
Treating lyme, bart and babs

Posts: 506 | From NE | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are Dr. B's guidelines for yeast (I don't think anyone can get well without managing yeast).

By the way, his whole protocol is under Medical Questions here on lymnet. It says: Dr. B's 2008 guidelines for treatment (first line under medical questions).
. . .

From Burrascano's 2008 protocol, 16th edition:

MANAGING YEAST OVERGROWTH
Many patients with weakened defenses, such as from chronic illnesses, including Lyme Disease, develop an overgrowth of yeast. This begins in the mouth and then spreads to the intestinal tract. Therefore the primary line of defense is careful oral hygiene, replenishing the beneficial bacteria by daily intake of yogurt, Kefir, and/or
acidophilus, and by following a strict low carbohydrate diet.

ORAL HYGEINE:
CLEANSING
Brush the teeth, tongue, gums, inner cheeks and palate first with toothpaste, then again for 30
seconds while holding an antiseptic mouthwash in the mouth Then, rinse by scrubbing while holding
plain water in the mouth.

TOOTHPASTE
Use �AP-24� toothpaste, sold by NuSkin Enterprises. Unlike conventional toothpastes that may contain alcohols, formaldehydes and abrasives, this product cleans in a unique way. It contains two �surfactants� (detergent-like cleansers) that are very effective without being harsh. This product is available in two forms- regular and whitening (both contain fluoride). Choose either one.

In addition, get from them their patented toothbrush that is designed to work with this toothpaste. It cleans better and is far gentler than regular or electric toothbrushes.
Order AP-24 products by calling 1-800-487-1000. The U.S. reference # is 9256681-R

MOUTHWASHES
Use an antiseptic mouthwash (Scope, Listerine, etc.), and brush the teeth, tongue, gums, cheeks and the roof of the mouth while holding the mouthwash in the mouth. Do this for 30 seconds, then rinse repeatedly with water.

For especially thick or resistant thrush, the most effective (and drastic) treatment, employed as a last resort, consists of using "Dakin's Solution" as a mouth rinse. Make this by mixing one teaspoon of household liquid
bleach (Clorox) in four ounces of water. A small amount is held in the mouth while brushing, then spit out, and repeated until the thrush has cleared. This is usually a one-time treatment, but may have to be repeated every
few weeks.

After using an antiseptic, it is necessary to immediately eat yogurt or chew an acidophilus capsule to replenish the beneficial flora in the mouth. Because the germ count, both harmful and beneficial, will be artificially reduced after such a cleaning, and because yeasts are opportunists, the yeast infection can come
back. By having the yogurt or acidophilus then, the yeast will be crowded out and a more normal oral flora will
result.

INTESTINAL TRACT: An overgrowth of yeast here will ferment dietary sugars and starches, forming acids, gas, alcohols and a variety of organic chemicals. Symptoms include gas, bloat, heartburn and/or pain in the stomach area, and because of the organic chemicals, there can be headaches, dizziness, lightheadedness, wooziness and post-meal fatigue.

To clear intestinal yeast, first the tongue and mouth must be cleansed so yeast does not reenter the system with every swallow. Next, since yeast germs feed on sugars and starches,
follow the low carbohydrate diet outlined below. Finally, to replenish the normal, beneficial microbes, eat PLAIN yogurt daily, drink Kefir, 4 ounces daily, and/or take acidophilus, 2 capsules three times daily after meals.

YEAST CONTROL DIET- restricted carbohydrate regimen
UNRESTRICTED FOODS
All protein foods, such as meat, fish, fowl, cheese, eggs, dairy, tofu

RESTRICTED FOODS
FRUITS
Fruits may be a problem because they contain a large amount of sugars. However, if the fruit contains a lot of
fiber, this may make up for the sugars to some degree. Thus:
� Fruits are only allowed at the end of a meal, and never on an empty stomach
� Only high fiber fruits are allowed
� Only very small amounts!

ALLOWED IN GENEROUS AMOUNTS
Grapefruit, lemons, limes, tomatoes, avocado

ALLOWED IN SMALL AMOUNTS ONLY! (The high fiber content in these hard, crunchy fruits partially
makes up for the carbohydrates) Pears, apples, strawberries, cantaloupe, etc.

NOT ALLOWED (These soft fruits do not have enough fiber) Oranges, watermelons, bananas, grapes, etc.
No fruit juices either!

VEGETABLES
Green vegetables and salads are O.K. Avoid or limit starchy vegetables (potato, rice, beans, etc.) and avoid pasta.

STARCHES
None!! If it is made from flour- any kind of flour- it is not allowed. (No breads, cereals, cake, etc.)

SWEETENERS
NOT ALLOWED
No sugars at all, and no fructose or corn syrup

ALLOWED (if tolerated)
Stevia (safest), honey, and Splenda,
Aspartame (NutraSweet, Equal) may not be tolerated by some patients
Saccharin products are not recommended

DRINKS ALLOWED
Water, seltzer, caffeine-free diet sodas, coffee and tea without sugar or caffeine, vegetable juices

NOT ALLOWED
Fruit juices, regular sodas, and any drinks sweetened with sugars or syrups

No Alcohol at all

OTHERS
Do not skip any meals. At least three regular meals daily are needed; a better option is to eat very small portions but have between meal snacks to maintain blood sugar and insulin levels.

Bedtime snacks, if taken,
must be totally carbohydrate free!

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lauralyme
Member # 15021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauralyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by tiffagoo:

So if the signs of yeast overgrowth are similar to Lyme, how do you know for sure it's yeast?

We don't know. That's why I feel it's so important to follow the diet 100% so you know what is causing you to feel sick. Why feel sicker than we have to?

When there are SO many variables......abx,herbs, supplements, etc it makes sense to keep the food as a common denominator to make a it a bit easier in figuring out what made us feel sicker.

--------------------
Fall down seven times, get up eight
~Japanese proverb

Posts: 1146 | From west coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blinkie
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do not drink raw milk. I have found that Flax milk or almond milk, both unsweetened are good. No sugar.
Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement