LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » parvo virus (b-19)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: parvo virus (b-19)
abhistbuff
Member # 28230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abhistbuff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How troubling is it that I tested positive for this? The levels are above what the lab stops counting at. Has anyone else out there taken Valtrex for this?
Posts: 63 | From dc | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
agmorgan
Member # 36230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for agmorgan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also tested positive back when an infectious disease doc was kicking me out of the door. What I was told was that there is nothing you can do about it and symptoms can last up to a couple of years.

I left that doctor. Haven't been on anything specifically for it, but was told by an LLMD that it's not unusual for a Lyme patient to test positive.

I assume the other antibiotics I'm on would help, but you've got me curious??

Who knows where one begins and the other ends.

Posts: 94 | From Tennessee/NY | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tested positive. I was told that just about everyone tests positive and that it just means you have been exposed. But I have been told that about other things too......

--------------------
Tick bite in 2006, bullseye rash, treated with 2 rounds of 2 weeks of doxy. (once in 2006, once in 2009)
Dx with chronic Lyme May 2011.
LLMD April 2012, Treating with omnicef/zith
Lots of supplements!

Posts: 640 | From Connecticut | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had several bouts with this.

Can't tell if this is what's active in me right now, or if it's Bart, or whatever??

Try a lot of anti-viral things like olive leaf extract, oil of oregano, grapefruit seed extract, etc.

I've heard someone else mention Lauriciden (sp?). I don't have first-hand experience with this, but maybe look into it.

Good luck.

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Parvo B-19 in its late/chronic stages can mimic Lyme disease and can cause disability in some people.

It is something to be aware of if considering becoming pregnant.

I've heard of Valtrex being prescribed for it, but not sure how effective it was in curing it, if it did anything at all.

Here is a link to some of the tick borne diseases. Parvo B-19 is listed there. Maybe that will give you some ideas? Hope so.

https://sites.google.com/site/marylandlyme/tick-borne-diseases

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TC, is Parvo B-19 a tick borne disease? I thought it was from cats. These ticks are like a walking/biting sewer.

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your Parvo result is as high as the lab measures then it is likely a problem for you. My results are in the 7s and my doctors consider it a past infection, so I'm not undergoing treatment for it.

I don't know what the treatment is for Parvo....

Best, Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good morning 17hens...

You asked if Parvo B-19 was a tick borne disease? Good question!

I am not familiar with tick studies that have detected Parvo B-19 virus in ticks, however, I am not the great and powerful OZ who knows everything, although you may mistake me for him once in a while.

[lol]

I just copied my quote from the link above. This is all I know at this time.

"Patients with chronic Lyme disease may test positive for parvovirus B19. Studies are needed to determine if parvovirus is reactivated after a Lyme infection in some people, if it is passed along by ticks harboring the Lyme bacteria and many other known coinfections, or if it is a chronic illness that can surface when the immune system is busy fighting off infections."

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlp38     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't get parvo from cats. And I don't think you get it from ticks either. You get it from other people.

There is an animal version and a human version. Parvovirus b19 is the human version and you usually get it from children. It is a virus so antibiotics wouldn't help it. Most people have had it at some time in their lives, even if they never knew they had it. It's normally a mild virus (unless you're a lymie, in which case normally mild viruses seem to takeover).

Posts: 707 | From Colorado | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
opus2828
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15407

Icon 1 posted      Profile for opus2828     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this the same virus that causes Fifth Disease in children? If so, my daughter has it.

I know I've been exposed to it before. Hopefully I have some immunity to it!

Posts: 581 | From CT | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh. When my DD tested positive for the Parvo virus last year, the practitioner asked if we had a cat, so I thought you got it from cats.

Now opus mentions Fifth Disease. DD has had unusually red flushing cheeks a few weeks ago.

Related?

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement