LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Rib cage pain in front/mid back pain

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rib cage pain in front/mid back pain
tickalert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickalert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been experiencing rib cage/mid back pain now for at least 8 weeks.

So far I've seen a chiropractor and physical therapist. None of these treatments seem to be helping.

Has anyone else experienced any thing like this before?

Tomorrow I see my Dr. about the pain so I can get some answers maybe.

I do have lyme and babesia.

My LLMD said I have a lot of toxins so he put me on Cholestryamine and homeopaths for kidney/liver support.

Could being so toxic cause this kind of pain?

Posts: 911 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rera2528
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rera2528     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A possibility is costochondritis. Do your ribs hurt to touch, especially along the sternum area? A primary way to know whether it is costo is whether it hurts to touch.

Mine can start at the center of my sternum but migrate around, including to the back. I use heat on my sternum, as I cannot use NSAIDs.

Posts: 447 | From Vermont | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Babesia can cause this as the RBC debri die off gets congested in liver/gb.

And those are liver/gb symptoms.
Is your spleen having issues too?

Dizzy, acid reflux?

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the pain is excruciating you may want to get some x-rays to make sure that you don't have any fractures.

I've had unbearable back pain for over a month. It kept getting worse (to the point where I could hardly eat or drink or breathe). The pain radiated from my back to my ribs and my sternum. My chiropractor ordered x-rays. They revealed 6 vertebral compression fractures. No wonder I've been having so much pain!

I'm not saying you have the same thing going on. Just want you to be aware. Pain is your body's signal that something is not right. Don't ignore it. Try to figure out what is causing the pain.

You asked if toxins can cause pain. My LLMD said that a herx can cause pain but that the herx should subside with time. So if it is not getting better, talk with your LLMD.

Good luck [Smile]

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the rib/ back pain continuous... the same amount throughOUT the day? Maybe a bit better when 1st wakeing up?
DOES the pain go completely away- for a few hours- when you take a medium (adult) dose of a "benzo" (bensodiazepine) like Ativan (lorazepam) or Valium (diazepam)?

If SO, it might just be neuro-Lyme induced pain.
That will improve- & should eventually disappear- with further treatment.
I have also read tha "babs" can cause some similar pains, but I'm not familiar w/ that "co-".
But some blood tests to check on glands in the painful area(s) would be a good idea.

Does your LLMD acknowledge it might just be the Lyme?

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gallbladder? If it is, castor oil packs can be helpful.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickalert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickalert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The pain was on the right and left. The right is getting better the left is more excruciating.

I've already done a few cator oil packs which I think has helped.

The pain on the left side wraps around the ribs.

Going to the Dr. today. I have 4 bulging discs in my neck and am wondering if some thing is going on with my back or maybe I have two issues.

Posts: 911 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kastroo
Member # 22825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kastroo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
spasms from meds iritated intestants is one idea...that is my case
Posts: 67 | From New York | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickalert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7033

My Dr. did X rays which didn't show anything. The Dr. also did trigger point injections which did nothing for my pain.

This is probable lyme/babesia acting up.

Truesun
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truesun   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tickalert,
I think rera2528 is correct in it being chondritis. Only thing that helps is hitting it with right antibiotics and anti inflammatory drugs. I've had it and my son has it now. We have been trying all natural for some time and last night I gave him anitbiotics that I know always worked for him in the past. Sometimes you gotta hit the active spirochettes. They dig into the cartilage and cause some real pain.

Also, I have little round 12,300 gauss magnets I tape on the areas and they have kept it from coming back on me. I leave them on round the clock
Hope for you fast relief.

--------------------
Misdiagnosed for many years. Treated for many things besides the real issue. Lyme diagnosed April 2008. Parasites diagnosed recently. Past to both my sons. Trying to remain hopeful and thankful.

Posts: 144 | From Ohio Valley | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tickalert... I have really bad pain in my ribs and left side when I eat dairy. No dairy, no pain.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickalert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7033

Cheese also Lymetoo? I typically don't eat dairy.
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheese is dairy.

It was so bad, I thought it was from my ribs too. Had my chiro work on it.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been having this rib pain, too. How do you know it's from spirochetes? Is there any particular evidence? I'm not trying to be rude... It's just that we can say everything is "this" or "that" but unless we actually test for it or find some evidence, I wouldn't just assume it.

It could probably be alot of different things that causes it...

---

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costochondritis

Costochondritis

excerpt-

Costochondritis is a benign inflammation of the costal cartilage, which is a length of cartilage which connects each rib, except the eleventh and twelfth, to the sternum.

It causes pain in the chest that can be reproduced by pressing on the affected area between the ribs. This pain can be quite excruciating, especially after rigorous exercise. While it can be extremely painful, it is considered to be a benign condition that generally resolves. Though costochondritis appears to resolve itself, it can be a recurring condition that can appear to have little or no signs of onset.

Treatment options are quite limited and usually only involve rest and analgesics but in a very small number of cases cortisone injections and even surgery are sometimes necessary. It is recommended that costochondritis patients should refrain from physical activity to prevent the onset of an attack.

-

Costochondritis often results from a physical strain or minor injury, but the true causes are not well understood.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rera2528
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rera2528     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Sparkle - I know that my costochondritis started with my Lyme. It wasn't something I had before, and it was the first symptom, but literally a day or two ahead of others.

My LLMD said Lyme and Co, but not exactly sure which. I know that when I am having a herx, or when I have changed up medicines, it definitely acts up more. I never have just rib pain.

I think of it like this. I never had knee joint pain, which is another cartilage-rich spot and is usually a Lyme pain site. Instead, my infected cartilage is in my rib cage. Knees are perfect, ribs, not so much. I also have wrist pain, and it tends to happen when I have rib pain.

I think you are right to be skeptical of blaming everything on Lyme. In my case, I feel that I can draw the correlation, but that may not be the same for all.

Posts: 447 | From Vermont | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started getting the rib pain in the past couple of months. I've been ill a long time, though. It's really not fun.

Seems like a relatively new phenomena from what I read... Sort of weird.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChristineMany
Member # 16818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChristineMany   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of course..always best to have things like heart issues and other things ruled out...

Costo is VERY common...with Lyme and Fibro and such...

But there is another condition too that very rarely gets mentioned...

Costo is typically centered around multiple ribs...and yes there is inflammation in the cartiledge...but not externally...

Teitze's, however, is VERY similar...in terms of pain...but it typically starts with one rib - and from my experience with a nerve...and it will cause inflammation...

I have had both for almost 20 years now...at their worst...one would trigger the other...

My left breast would more then double in size - which of course is Teitze's (What a name for it huh?)

I had to have the nerve that was causing all the problems injected with lidocaine...or something from that family...

Then went through having to give myself Toradol injections...not fun...but it helped...and I got it under control...

Costo can be triggered by various things...including food allergies, trauma, stress...

I haven't had any flares with Tietze's in several years...but every so often...that costo will give me a quick run...which is when I know that I have to slow down...

My oldest also has it...and she has bart...my mother and 2 sisters also have it...they have Lyme and bart and babs...One of my twins is now showing signs of it too...OH Joy...

I never recommend steroid injections...

Heat...cold can often make it worse (for some anyway)...anti-inflamatants...muscle relaxers...

Light and moderate stretching can actually help...you just have to build up to it...Doing the exercises in water can make it much easier too...

Hope this can help

Christine

--------------------
We each have a right to be healthy, and no one has the right to jeopardize that!
Take Charge of your health - and your life you are the only one who will!
I know what I am & I know what I am not
I know what I HAVE & I know what I HAVE not

Posts: 33 | From co | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Thanks. I never heard of it prior to this. I'm 50 but I feel like I'm going on 90...
sparkle7
Member # 10397

FYI -

http://www.cfids-cab.org/cfs-inform/Ic/costomm.htm

What helps?

Supplements

Some people have had luck with the following supplements

Glucosamine/Chondroitin Sulfate (heals cartilage)
Ginger Root (inflammation)
Evening Primrose Oil (inflammation)
Bromelain (inflammation)
Vitamin C (boosts immune system)
Vitamin E (anti-oxidant, inflammation)
Eating fatty fish, such as salmon or sardines for their Omega-3 oils (inflammation)
White Willow Bark (inflammation)
Goldenseal (inflammation, cleansing, good for viral)
Echinacea-(boosts immune system, take for two weeks, two weeks off, etc., will not work as well if taken continuously)
Kava Kava (calming)
Valerian Root (calming, helps sleep)
Grape Seed Extract (antioxidant)

Here is one regimen taken with good results
Glucosamine/Chondroitin Complex (500 mg) 3 x a day
Bromelain (Pineapple enzyme 500 mg) 3 x a day on empty stomach
Vitamin C with Bioflavanoids (1000 mg) 4 x a day
St. John's Wort (300 mg) 3 x a day (good for nerve pain and depression)
A good multivitamin 1 x a day
B Complex 1 x a day
Traumed brand cream applied to area as needed.
Plain coated aspirin (325 mg) four a day
Hot mineral baths (Batherapy Brand) once or twice a day

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Just some info about benzos - since it was mentioned here -

http://breggin.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=44&Itemid=66

I was looking at something else & I just came across it.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement