LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » is water a good detox??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: is water a good detox??
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
eight glasses a day...i'm floating and staying right next to the bathroom.

so is it a good detox or is it just flushing toxins out so to speak?

i know about epsom salts baths but how much water do you need to drink really??

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emla999/Lyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emla999/Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If by staying right next to the bathroom you mean that you are having to pee alot then in my opinion that could possibly indicate that you are drinking way too much water. It has taken me several years to realize that drinking alot of pure water or eating foods that are high in water content were actually making me sicker.

And in my opinion, the detox like symptoms that you are experiencing from drinking eight glasses of water per day may not be detox symptoms at all but rather your symptoms may be due to mild water intoxication. In some circumstances drinking alot of water can produce numerous side effects.

Mild Water Intoxication

http://180degreehealth.com/2012/02/mild-water-intoxication

http://180degreehealth.com/2012/02/how-much-water-should-you-drink

Drinking too many fluids or eating high water content foods can cause your cellular sugars and salt levels to plummet. And thus you may feel like crap. Not eating adequate amounts of sugars/carbohydrates and salts in the morning can also cause your cellular sugar and salt levels to be lower. And thus you may also feel like crap.

For many years I have suffered with profound chronic fatigue, brain fog, headaches, neuropathy, joint pains, vision problems, tremors, tingling, muscle twitching and other health problems and since I tested postive for Lyme Disease via Igenex I was blaming those problems on Lyme Disease. Although, I have also treated for parasites, heavy metals, toxic mold and etc.. But for the most part, treating for chronic Lyme Disease and treating for all of the other things that I mentioned didn't help me to feel all that much better. But recently, nearly all of my symptoms have lessened tremendously with a simple change in my eating and drinking habits (Matt Stone's recommendations). I drink much less water/fluids now and eat more salt, carbs and sugar now and even "junk food" and I feel profoundly better!!!! My symptoms have improved dratmatically. It's simply amazing. If someone would have told me to try this at this time last year then I would have told them that they were crazy. But now, I wish that I had known about this stuff 10-15 years ago. By the way, a refractometer and a conductivity meter were extrememly helpful to me in getting my body chemistry back to normal, largely by determining when and what to eat and when and what to drink.

These simple changes have been miraculous for me.

Posts: 1223 | From U.S.A | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was treating lyme, my doc told me to eat 4 lemons per day and drink plenty of water. He said the lemons were a natural cleanser of the body and that the water would flush out the body.

I did these 2 things, and my herxes on his treatment were mild compared to what others describe. So, I believe that eating the proper diet (anti-yeast diet which is automatically gluten free) and doing these 2 things is important.

My doc told one patient that he could expect 30% of his symptoms to go away just from eating the proper diet.

I had a bottle of water with lemons squeezed into it right next to me all day long. It was my only drink (other than kefir taken daily). I sipped this water all day long. I did not measure it or drink entire glasses at one time.

They say you should urinate every 2 hours when awake. If you urinate less, they say you are dehydrated.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ralphi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33834

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ralphi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It helps me--when I drink my 2-3 liters a day I feel better.

I have read that you can divide your body weight (pounds) in half, and that is the amount of ounces of water you need.

Keep in mind, though, that a lot of foods have water in them.

I like using herbal teas and natural flavorings (lemon slices, strawberries, etc) to keep it interesting :-)

Don't drink a gallon at once or anything, or you'll mess up your electrolyte balance.

Posts: 330 | From TN | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fresh squeezed lemon juice in a glass of filtered water.
Posts: 873 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
t9im
Member # 25489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for t9im   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi randibear:

With our daugher we were (it has cut back now that she is back in school) giving her a ton of lemon water for liver flushing as some of the meds can be toxic to the liver.

Always out of a bottle so the lemon water wasn't directly on the teeth.

--------------------
Tim

Posts: 1111 | From Glastonbury, CT | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lemon water is one of the only things that I can definitely tell is helping. If I do not drink lots of water my bladder feels like I have a uti. As long as I start the day with lemon water And drink throughout the day I am fine.

Nice to know somethingis working.

I also do not measure glasses but keep a water bottled filled and with me at all times

--------------------
Tick bite in 2006, bullseye rash, treated with 2 rounds of 2 weeks of doxy. (once in 2006, once in 2009)
Dx with chronic Lyme May 2011.
LLMD April 2012, Treating with omnicef/zith
Lots of supplements!

Posts: 640 | From Connecticut | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickpuppy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickpuppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to Nenah Sylver, yes. BUT the water must be pure/filtered and have the electrolytes/minerals replenished. Filtering takes them out.
Posts: 702 | From North Eastern USA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tiffagoo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tiffagoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I have heard that Lyme thrives in an acidic environment.....is this true? If so, why do we drink lemon water. Lemons are acidic right?
Posts: 151 | From california | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lauralyme
Member # 15021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauralyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lemons change to alkaline once ingested.

I'm not able to drink lemon water anymore as it has really damaged the enamel on my teeth.

--------------------
Fall down seven times, get up eight
~Japanese proverb

Posts: 1146 | From west coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was really sick I was thirsty a lot and drinking a lot. Now I am not perfectly heatlhy but a lot better and am less thirsty. I recommend letting thirst be your guide.
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lemon and lime both irritate my teeth and stomach.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement