LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Why would Probiotics alone make me Herx ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why would Probiotics alone make me Herx ?
lymetwister
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19590

Icon 5 posted      Profile for lymetwister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted this a while back, but didn't get any answers. This is not the store bought 14 Billion stuff, but it's VSL#3 with something like 450 Billion good bacteria.

The first time I took 1/2 packet, or 225 Billion bacteria and the next day, I had no only a brain herx, but also tons of muscle aches, pains, chills, etc. all c/w a Herx.

I tried 1/4 pckt last night and awoke pretty similar to the way I did last time. My entire CNS has been going nuts just as I was coming out of my last Rife Herx.

My thinking is that I'm having a Candida die off. But what doesn't make sense to me is that I've seen bad Candida in my career and those folks were no where as sick as many of us are. So, even the ones on Nystatin or Diflucan never Herxed the slightest when I treated them in the Hospital setting.

Any Thoughts ?

Posts: 1227 | From District of Columbia | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manybites
Member # 33750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for manybites         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same exact thing 4 years ago and I thought was candida.

I found out I had activated lyme and all coinfections based on ( test and muscle testing ).

Do not be surprised.I was loaded in parasites and lyme and coinfections.WHen I mean loaded I mean spread to my muscles and from head to toe.

You are late stage.I would recomend you to do parasitic cleansings and continue treatment.

It is not JUST CANDIDA Beilive me.I was mistaken and chased CANDIDA originaly .

Have you treated babesia ? Bartonella ?PArasites ?( you probably have activated viruses as well as I did .MyLLND created a formula herbs to reduce them).
Highly dosages of everything can reach the brain .CAndida only does not make you that sick .
I take VSL too and when I took the first Theralac it made me sick as you are.That happened 3 years and 1/2 ago .

Now I can take 10 pills of theralac or others ( beilive me I have tried high dosages) and istead of making me sick ( kill candida) it made my gut and my brain better.I can not afford high dosages.But I have tried several times.The very first few months I was sick of only 1 pill of probiotic.

You have had it for very long and you need to take higher dosages of Antibiotics and HERBS to reach the exstremeties otherwise you will stay the same.

Posts: 1379 | From disable | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pony
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pony     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone,

I know this is a few weeks old, but I thought I would chime in...

I'm having the exact same thing happen to me and I just started VSL 3. I'm doing 2 capsules a day, which equals 225 billion (a far cry from the 30 billion I was taking)...

Anyway, I'm not on antibiotics at the moment and this all started the day after I took the capsules.

I'm not one to say that every symptom I encounter is a herx, but this definitely feels herx like. The increase of fatigue and malaise have been prominent, and they are accompanied by chills and a strong urge to nap!

If anyone is interested I will keep you updated on what I'm experiencing as I continue with this.

At the very least it makes you wonder just how much more effective VSL 3 is as opposed to otc/store bought probiotics?

Hope everyone is having a Happy Easter [Smile]

Mark

Posts: 169 | From The Poconos | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a nutshell - The good bacteria (probiotics) keeps the bad bacteria in balance. When there are less of the good, more bad grows. When you start adding good you will kill some of the bad and you may be feeling sick from that. You could also be killing candida along with the bad bacteria.

I would go slower with the probiotic and consider getting a test for gut bacteria problems.

Words to search for are - dysbiosis and SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth).

I had a diagnostechs test for parasites and a number of things and found out that I had an overgrowth of strep or staph (can't remember which one now) and several other bacteria. They gave me xifaxin for it. It is an abx that is used specifically for the gut bacteria problem that I had.

you may want to look at this site
http://www.siboinfo.com/

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spoke with an owner of a health food store and she said the biggest mistake people make is jumping into taking a strong probiotic. They should start off slowly by either taking a child dose or breaking the capsule open and gradually increasing the amount. I spoke with her about this as I had been using culturelle along with acidophilus with no problem and when I tried a strong probiotic I developed horrible stomach issues. I have kept with my cuturelle and acidophillus, but also consume raw foods such as fermented kimchi, and also drink alot of Kefir.
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pony
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pony     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very informative guys, thanks!
Posts: 169 | From The Poconos | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hubby had a similar issue years ago when he tried VSL#3. Every dose he took caused a seizure-like episode. This continued for months.

Personally I think there were 2 or 3 reasons he reacted so strongly.

First I think if a probiotic causes brain or nervous system symptoms it is probably a strong indicator of either a bart infection and/or a leaky gut.

I also agree that it could indicate other bad G.I. bacteria. Hubby had klebsiella and a couple of other ammonia producing bacteria show up after he did IV Rocephin the first time years ago. For him olive leaf capsules were helpful plus he used a very good brand of yogurt that became very difficult to obtain after Jordan Rubin's books became so popular.

Also at that time 3 months of oral levaquin did kill off the bad G.I. bacteria but really did not do anything for the bartonella or BLO. It was years later that we realized that bart was still an issue (based on the early F lab blood slides)-- at the time of the original treatment by the Dr B that was the standard treatment for bart.

I would probably try a different brand of good bacteria that either has different strains of bacteria or is not as strong.

And whoever mentioned xifaxin -- that is also a good idea. Hubby took that for a month or two after he had his paralyzed ileus and it was helpful to get his G.I. bacteria back in balance.

But I would definitely look into treating bartonella if I had major problems with taking good bacteria.

This is not medical advice, just my opinion based on hubby's experiences.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pony
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32559

That's interesting Bea, thank you...

I too am being treated for Bart so thats definitely something to consider...

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say it's a reaction to the dairy. Maybe you are now sensitive to dairy. I had to stop VSL for that reason.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be careful taking xifaxin if you do not know FOR SURE that you have SIBO. That drug cleared out every single bit of good bacteria I had left.

Now I have nothing.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement