LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » child abuse

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: child abuse
hopefull
Member # 29198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopefull     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just curious.

How many of you with Lyme come from some kind of

abuse growing up? My Dr. says this has a play in

your recovery. Any opinions?

--------------------
diagnosed with fibromyalgia 1992
Lyme disease Jan 2011
give it all to the LORD everyday [Smile]

Posts: 38 | From southwest michigan | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No not me.

I don't think this is specific to lyme. Any kind of prolonged stress can hinder treatment of health problems.

Latest issue of Scientific American has an article entitled "How stress cripples your brain." Not sure it covers all aspects of stress, but maybe worth looking at?

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Emotional health is important, but the main thing is tackling the BACTERIA.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
True, any stress can affect us on may levels and, yes, impede healing even when one has all the other tools (which few ever do).

But abuse cannot CAUSE infections.

And, in the case of abuse, therapy (while vital) is no substitute for the lack of ALL available treatment options against infections nor enough "support" for all organs and systems.

There are many doctors who, in past years (and even still), BLAMED abuse issues for the sheer existence of chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia and, yes, even the symptoms of lyme.

Oh, like most children, I received some bullying and maybe an odd minor experience or two but nothing traumatic - though I kept trying to bring back ingredients that really were not there.

Was my childhood perfect? Not at all. Still, I felt forced to someone create abuse where there had been none.

At one time, following one doctor's suggestion, I even consulted an exorcist. Seriously. Although I had long before left "the church", I had no other explanation at that time. I felt relieved when the priest even told me that he felt I had a medical matter and that science just could not yet identify it.

He was half right. It was medical but science and doctors (somewhere) did have the information but my doctors just choose to keep it in the dark, to stop looking. Lyme was just not allowed in my state.

I never experienced ANY actual abuse until facing the doctors who accused me of just not wanting to accept the fact that I must have been abused as that would be the only reason for such symptoms now. Or - that I was just lazy and needed to face that and grow up.

Has that medical abuse stopped me from getting better? Oh, it's not helped but mostly due to lack of treatment options out of ignorance.

So, just don't "go there" with thinking that it's the CAUSE of an infection but - if there are unresolved personal issues of any type - working with a therapist can certainly help in many ways and is very important.

Along with therapy, ADRENAL support is absolutely essential to help the body heal from stressors of all types. ANY kind of stress can just clobber the adrenal system.

FWIW, as one time, I did blame myself for causing all my symptoms as there were no tests, no doctors that seems to know . . . I learned stress management skills such as meditation and hypnosis.

I even became certified in hypnosis and went on to present stress management workshops. But, I would nearly collapse in the restroom, etc. because as proficient as I had become in positive visualization and good self-talk . . .

infections were still the culprits. I could not "think myself well" no matter how very hard I tried.

And I was not quite "yippy skippy" annoyingly positive (I hope) but, still, just about as positive as possible.

Still, all those skills helped me tremendously to deal with the rigors of lyme & co.

Even here, now, you will see me try to turn around negative speech patterns as I do believe how we talk to ourselves - right down to the words we use - can affect us and our outcomes to varying degrees.

Counseling during a failing marriage & divorce helped me in many ways, too. I learned how to think more logically and how to face my fears and feelings. I learned that I can appreciate joy and beauty in the world, even on the side lines.

Counseling cannot heal infections but it can help heal many issues and help us find our power to turn and face the sun.

Caution, though. I think anyone with lyme should see only an ILADS-educated Lyme Literate therapist.

Even after lyme & 2 other TBD were diagnosed, when a seizure hit during a counseling session (with a non LL therapist), he asked me after all the deep vocalization & thrashing about like a stuck pig:

"I think you have something you need to talk about" going on to imply the past was doing this to me.

Oy, Vey ! Yes, I need to say that I needed medical treatment but it was just not an option. So I was there to figure out how to help myself the best I could - and he was no help at all.

There are ILADS-educated LL certified counselors, therapists, psychologists. Ask first at local lyme support groups. They are few in number, yes, but they do exist.
-

[ 03-27-2012, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopefull
Member # 29198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopefull     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with you keebler

--------------------
Lyme disease Jan 2011

Posts: 38 | From southwest michigan | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler is right. I was not implying that stress in itself prevented healing. But a person has only so many things they can cope with at once. In that way, stress can be a factor.

And a lot of us received the most abuse in our lives in trying to get the correct diagnosis.

Two doctors actually screamed me out of their offices, they were so frightened of being asked to treat me. Two neurologists suggested my neuro symptoms weren't much to be concerned about. One demanded to know who was treating me. After that, I have tried not to ever see any non-literate doctors, and to avoid discussing lyme with any other doctors.

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Poppy,

I know you were not implying that but didn't quite know how to preface my statement and then forgot to do so.

I just wanted to warn others who may not be so familiar with all the issues around lyme in the typical world of typical doctors.

Clearly, medical abuse peppered onto lyme patients is a huge destructive force - and I do think that can cause scars of the psyche, too. I want to help others avoid that as much as possible.

In no way do I intend to diminish the multiple ramifications that can last years for those who experienced abuse during childhood, nor the importance of counseling with the right therapist (who should be LL so able distinguish causes & effects).
-

[ 03-27-2012, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't read everyone's responses but chronic stress can set the stage for chronic illness for sure.
Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm really confused at to why the doctor would even bring this up???? I'm assuming perhaps you asked if a history of abuse plays a role?? If that is the case then I can understand his reply.
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm really confused at to why the doctor would even bring this up???? I'm assuming perhaps you asked if a history of abuse plays a role?? If that is the case then I can understand his reply.
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was a popular "reason" for Fibromyalgia... I guess when they can't figure out a "scientific" reason for an illness - they try to say it's somehow psychosomatic. They have done this for centuries with various illnesses...

There's a very deep mind & body connection - so, it's not outside the realm of healing but I think there are actual bio-chemical reasons why people are ill outside of family abuse.

When I first got ill, I though it might be psychosomatic. I saw a psychotherapist. It was really worthwhile but I still had Fibromyalgia...

I was talking to a friend who is a massage therapist. She says she treats doctors who come in & get in a rage about treating patients with Fibro (Lyme, what have you). They don't know why people are so sick so they try to "blame the victim". They just can't believe that they don't know - that their "system" doesn't know how to cure these people.

For some reason, I guess they feel that they always have to know everything & be in control... If you ask me, I think we live in an abusive, dysfunctional world. Everyone on the planet is subject to abuse.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopefull
Member # 29198

I do come from a background of abuse.

I don't think he was implying that the abuse causes my illness.

What he was saying is that a background of abuse plays a role in recovery.

Saying that emotional health plays a role in your healing. I do agree with this.

For me I have dealt with my past and feel very well emotionally.

Abuse effects people very deeply and if the pain from it hasn't been dealt with you can cover in with other aliments.

Also, I have been involved in abuse recovery programs, leading as well as participating, and Fibro is on the list as a symptom,Which probably kept me from being properly diagnosed with Lyme.

In conclusion, there are SOME who focus on the pain of body so NOT having to deal with the pain of past. Thus, keeping them from healing as they should.

--------------------
Lyme disease Jan 2011

randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
me too. all four kids effected including me. sad...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If that's is the case with abuse... Why haven't people had Fibro or Lyme for centuries? I do actually remember a time when there wasn't Lyme or Fibro - in my lifetime. I don't think it was that people didn't know or called it something else.

I do agree it plays a role in illness but there's been alot of "abuse" throughout history in many ways. Why is it now being an attribute of Lyme & Fibro? Just for example - look at how the slaves lived in this country... Why didn't they all have Fibro?

No disrespect to anyone - I do think there are other chemical or pathogenic factors involved in this illness or illnesses. I don't think all Fibro or CFS is actually Lyme Disease, either. Just my opinion.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started to write a reply but became so angry at his/her stupidity and misinformation.

If my doctor said that to me he/she would be the person abused.

Maybe another time .

Posts: 789 | From CT, | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the doctor was saying childhood abuse caused the disease. I believe it weakens us and makes it harder to heal. It is like have a methyl cycle mutation. You just don't process and work things through like normal people.

I had an abusive childhood. My adrenal glands were on overdrive all the time. I was in fight or flight mode, trying to survive. As a result I have adrenal fatigue and this affects my immune system.

Any kind of stress makes it harder to recover. When you are abused as a child, the fear never completely leaves you. On the other hand, I am a survivor. I am strong and I know it. I never give up.

I need to bypass this wound with things that are calming; meditation, painting, my animals, good friends, humor, nature. . . .

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopefull
Member # 29198

Exactly Nefferdun! You get it!

I have overcome by facing the pain of the abuse and giving it to Jesus. And jesus has given me people to walk me through it.

I feel like I'm very strong and my DR. was happy with my above response.

--------------------
Lyme disease Jan 2011

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. I had to use EFT (tapping) to help overcome the trauma left-behind. It was very much locked up with my illness and as I got better the trauma resurfaced and I had to deal with the emotions that I had packed away previously.

I wouldn't say that having been abused could cause Lyme by any means, but if you have emotional trauma that is locked away, it seems to get tied up with the illness.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement