LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Treating Children Naturally

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Treating Children Naturally
willo7
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24263

Icon 1 posted      Profile for willo7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I have been thinking about treating my younger 2 children naturally.

All 3 of my children have Lyme. My oldest had most symptoms and is on abx.

My other 2 have very minimal symptoms if any at all. Are pretty much normal children.

We only tested them because I realised I had Lyme while pregnant.

I am very concerned with my children becoming immune to abx.

What is everyones thoughts on treating naturally?? Should I or no?

And is there anyone on here that has done this with their children that would help me through this?

I dont have a clue where to begin.

Thank you!

Posts: 137 | From Illinois | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopingandpraying
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 9256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopingandpraying     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think your children should be under the care of a good Lyme-literate doctor (LLMD) who treats integratively, if you can find one. Are they under the care of one now? Also, what are their ages?

My teenage son has been on antibiotics for six years, but his Lyme doctor has added/subtracted/tweaked different ones and their dosages. He has also been taking various natural supplements to keep his body strong and healthy.

My son is slowly getting better, thank God.

Posts: 8981 | From Illinois | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Untreated or under-treated lyme is far worse than the risk of developing antibiotic resistance. Besides, with lyme, it's not so much about that when the COMBINATION of drugs are used and ROTATED.

Also, when adding other elements, such as herbs, that changes the whole deal even more so, for the better.

What's really more concerning to me beyond possible resistance (which is not really the same with lyme as with other infections) . . .

is that tick-borne infections AND pharmaceutical treatment can be very hard on the liver and kidneys.

Some herbs and minerals can be hard on the liver or kidney, too, or in certain doses. But many can help by tremendous measure (such as Milk Thistle).

Again, herbal and other nutritional supplements can offset those risks. That's why LIVER SUPPORT is so important, even before even starting that first antibiotic, IMO.

First and foremost: whomever guides your care must be brilliantly educated regarding how the spirochetes (and other infections) work, in every stage, phase and form.

Treating "naturally" can be a shot in the dark and a huge failure unless directly correlated to the science of the spirochete, et.al.

Yes, an ILADS-educated LLMD who is holistically minded sounds like an excellent choice.

When looking at other options based in natural medince, I think it's essential to have the guidance of a certified doctor who has achieved four years of post-graduate medical education specifically in herbal medicine -- and who is ILADS-educated and thoroughly lyme literate.

Also, remember that lyme may well require antibiotics but - if used along with certain herbs or other nutrients - that can make all the difference.

Even many naturopathic doctors (ND) insist upon using antibiotics as a key part of the protocol. It varies by state but, in some states, NDs can also prescribe antibiotics.

Some states do not license NDs, though. Some require they partner with a MD. More detail here:

--------------------------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=013239;p=0

(What ILADS is) . . . WHY you need an ILADS-educated, Lyme Literate Doctor

===============================

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/2/13964

How to find an ILADS-educated LL:

N.D. (Naturopathic Doctor);

L.Ac. (Acupuncturist);

D.Ay. (Doctor of Ayurvedic Medicine);

D.O.M. (Doctor of Oriental Medicine);

Integrative / Holistic M.D., etc.

Links to many articles and books by holistic-minded LL doctors of various degrees who all have this basic approach in common:

Understanding of the importance of addressing the infection(s) fully head-on with specific measures;

Knowing that support supplements are important, but NEVER enough alone. And knowing which supplements have direct impact, which are only support and which are both.

You can compare and contrast many approaches.

BASIC HERBAL EDUCATIONAL links, and

BODY WORK links with safety tailored to lyme patients,

RIFE links (you might consider this but be sure to get professional guidance)

BIONIC 880 (& PE-1) links, and

LOW HEAT INFRARED SAUNA detail.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by willo7:
So I have been thinking about treating my younger 2 children naturally.
Should I or no?

And is there anyone on here that has done this with their children that would help me through this?
I dont have a clue where to begin.

Why do you want to treat your children yourself if you have no knowledge of what to do.

If they have few symptoms, you could provide nutritional support to strengthen their immune systems.
This may keep them as healthy as possible for a long time.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
My eyes often glaze over key points so I'm glad Carol pointed out that if two of your children are symptom-free (or nearly), good health habits and the best nutrients might be the ticket.

The point about self-treating or trying to doctor our own family member is well taken. When treatment is needed, it is best to consult highly skilled experts.

As for nutritional support for your kids - your and your other son's current LLMD might offer key suggestions - &/ or a LL ND (or similar).

Cooking classes for kids can really help - if the focus is totally on real foods, not packaged. It gets them excited about good food in general.

Avoiding any suspect foods might be considered if they have symptoms around those.

Hobbies that engage them at various levels also will help immune function.

Established good sleep hygiene is of utmost importance..

Good luck to your whole family on this Health Quest.
---------------------------

The first step to health, avoid additives. Why:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=029690;p=0

Excitotoxins; MSG; Aspartame; & "Natural" Flavors
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Tonight: CBS "60 Minutes" will have a segment on the toxicity of sugar.
-

jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlp38     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can totally understand why you would want to treat them yourself, especially if they're not really sick. I feel the same way about my kids. They're not sick and I've never had them tested. But I've traced my tick bite to before they were born so it's possible they have it. I've thought about just slowly treating. Maybe test for heavy metals first and treat that. Then test for parasites and treat that. And just take it slowly, treating what needs to be and not treating what doesn't. I'd have a doctor to muscle test to help out, but I don't think I would put them on high dose antibiotics if they're not even sick.
Posts: 707 | From Colorado | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
willo7
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24263

Icon 1 posted      Profile for willo7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you everyone. To answer questions, Yes, my

children to have a Lyme Literate Doctor. We had

the testing done during last visit and go next

week to start treatment. Why would I want to

treat them naturally if I know nothing about it?

Well the answer to that is none of us knew

anything about any of this before we were forced

to learn. If I felt that it was a good option, I

will educate myself. My worry, is that some

people's immune system can completely suppress

the lyme and never really have a problem with

it. What if that is the way my chilredn are? Am

I gonna make this worst for them then and flare

it up? My children's ages are 3 and 6. My 6 yr

old has occasionally said that the light hurts

his eyes a little, but thats the only thing and

he maybe says that once every 6 months. My

youngest has had some blinking with his eyes

while watching tv. That is his only symptom and

he hasnt done that in awhile. I know to some

people this may sound ridiculouse that I am

considering no abx, but I feel you dont really

know until you are put in the situation. This is

a very very hard decision for me, and I judt

dont really know what to do. Yes, nomatter what

my decision, I will do this along with our Dr.

If I wouldnt have found out I had Lyme, and knew

I was pregnant while I had it, I would have

never known anything is wrong with my children.

They are for the most part completely healthy.

Actually, they are healthier than alot of

children their age. I thank you for all your

answers to my question. I am just really torn

right now!

Posts: 137 | From Illinois | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would request the saliva test kit from Beyond Balance and see what they test positive for. I would then use their formulas to treat. They seem to be much gentler than abx and others like Byron White, and Cowden. Your LLND(LLMD) can also work with Diane at Beyond Balance to navigate your treatment protocol.

Considering they have very few symptoms, you may just want to take a wait and see approach..

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by willo7:

My worry, is that some people's immune system can completely suppress the lyme and never really have a problem with it.

That would be a very good outcome, and not a problem.

The Lyme bacteria are in the body's cells, you cannot get rid of all of them.
It's up to the immune system to keep them in check.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement