LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Nausea really bad with increased doxy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nausea really bad with increased doxy
dbpei
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I learned a couple of days ago that I had not been taking enough doxy. I mis-read the instructions and was taking half of what I should (taking 200 mg/day instead of 400) I am also taking 600 mg per day of rifampin.

I was doing okay on the smaller dose, but I am feeling so sick and nauseous since increasing the dose. I am also an emotional mess. I am going to call my LL NP tomorrow but I wanted to know if this is just normal herxing or if you think it might mean the doxy is too much for me.

I want to eat something to make my stomach feel better but feel sick again soon after. Any advice would be appreciated.

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rifampin will mess with your emotions-i became suicidal

i cut dose way back and worked up-had support near by and got up to regular dose in 2 weeks. i am so glad i stuck with the rifampin cuz i got a lot better. i think many others will say the same

i have never had gi problems with doxy but many do

there is a new doxy that is much easier on the stomach. i think it is very expensive and all docs wont order it.

maybe others will have more info for you

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you eating something substantial and non-dairy before taking Doxy? It is important to eat enough to prevent nausea. Some people find it helpful to take Doxy in the middle of the meal.

Also make sure you drink a full glass of water when you take it.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sammi:
Are you eating something substantial and non-dairy before taking Doxy? It is important to eat enough to prevent nausea. Some people find it helpful to take Doxy in the middle of the meal.

Also make sure you drink a full glass of water when you take it.

Ditto... and do not lie down for an hour afterward.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been taking doxy since Oct 2011. I find that when I take 400MG as opposed to 300MG I too feel more nausea. The longer you are on Doxy the more nausea you will experience, if you do have these symptoms.

Only way to avoid or minimize this is to take it with food, which also reduces its effectiveness.

As was mentioned make sure not to lay down or even recline for the first hour.

Posts: 2087 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found out the hard way last week -

I took my doxy and went right to bed...

misery......

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beth22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ginger tea and alka seltzer gold saved me. plus eating half my meal, then taking the doxy, then eat the other half of the meal.
Posts: 236 | From Zionsville IN | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you everyone. I've been having the doxy right 'after' my meals and will go back to 'in the middle of'. I have to remember to drink a lot of water with it too.

The nausea seems to be ongoing all day and night. My chest is heavy and I feel like I want to vomit - like it would give me some relief. But I haven't yet. (sorry for so much detail...)

Last night I took alka seltzer gold and I had some ginger tea and chamomile tea throughout the day yesterday. It is the first time the alka seltzer did not provide much relief. I think I am herxing bad.

I will call my LLNP this a.m. I wonder if the doxy dose is too much for me.

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

I called my LLNP this a.m. to report that my nausea was horrible and I said I was not going to take my ABX today. I have not heard back. Still nauseous but more tolerable without the ABX.

Can I do much harm by stopping ABX for a day or two? I have been on ABX since October without missing a day.

WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have missed a dose here or there when my stomach wasn't feeling up to it, and things didn't seem to fall apart. With Doxy, when you restart why don't you work up more slowly to the new dose.

If that doesn't do it, you could ask about switching to Doryx, which is basically Doxy but it's easier on the stomach. I was on it for a while and it was better but then my pharmacy couldn't get it anymore so not sure it you'd have the same problem. When I ran into that, my LLMD switched me to minocyclene. It seems like there is always another way to do things.

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just went through this with doxy. I was very nauseated and even vomited a few times. It finally went away after I had taken it for a month.

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Donnatol for nausea (it is simply Belladonna that you can buy in a health food store). I have not been able to take any antibiotics on an empty stomach and agree with the suggestion of taking it in the middle of a meal. In my case it is often a protein shake that settles my stomach.

When things get too bad I do skip a day or two. And I love my herbal teas. Try Celestial Seasonings "Tension Tamer"(has ginger, chamomile et al in it) or "Sleepytime Vanilla".

We always keep gingerale in the fridge, too.

Hang in there, kiddo!

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Thanks for your suggestions and advice - and support! I will have to look into everything you suggest. Will also run all by my LLNP when I finally get to talk to her.

It is frustrating waiting to hear back but I know we all go through it. LLMD's (and my NP) are so busy treating so many sick people. It must be a very draining job...

Funny, since stopping the ABX, I am sleeping better but my head feels so strange and my knees and shins are bothering me after not acting up since I first started the ABX in the fall. I guess the ABX must have been doing more than I realize.

If I had enough nerve, I would try my grapefruit seed extract to bust a few cysts - but my nausea has been so bad... I don't know how you all do it. Thanks again for your support.

randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
doxy tore my stomach up something fierce even tho i was doing everything i could. eventually switched to biaxin and except for the metallic taste did much better.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

How long were you on both, randibear? Are you seeing any progress or light at the end of the tunnel?
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
GINGER CAPSULES can help relieve nausea and dizziness. But it needs to be kept up at a therapeutic dose that only the capsules seem to provide. Although the tea can help a bit.

Take Ginger Capsules a couple hours away from Rx. It has some antioxidant properties and it may speed Rx through too fast if taken at the same time.

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/important-herbs/ginger-rootrhizome-zingiber-officinalis.html

GINGER

-------------------------
There are some homeopathic sublingual pellets, too, that can ease discomfort instantly (great for flying).

http://abchomeopathy.com/r.php/Tab

Tabacum

abchomeopathy.com/r.php/Cocc

Cocculus

============================

http://www.vitacost.com/ancient-harvest-quinoa-flakes?csrc=GPF-089125412004&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=089125412004

QUINOA FLAKES are great to have on hand. Just add boiling water to a deep bowl or mug. Cover. Wait a minute and you have an emergency meal, of sorts for a tender tummy.

Surprisingly good ratio of protein & fat, too, so this is not going to adversely affect blood glucose.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Also:

DGL (search site below under Licorice),

Slippery Elm, Marshmallow Root powder

Details:

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a couple more ways to relieve Nausea.

- Drink clear or ice-cold drinks.
- Eat light, bland foods (such as saltine crackers or plain bread).
- Avoid fried, greasy, or sweet foods.
- Eat slowly and eat smaller, more frequent meals.
- Do not mix hot and cold foods.
- Drink beverages slowly.
- Avoid activity after eating.
- Avoid brushing your teeth after eating.
- Choose foods from all the food groups as you can tolerate them to get adequate nutrition.

I always buy (Ginger Candy) at CVS.

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement