LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Best supplements for Anxiety, Stress, ADHD, Depression?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best supplements for Anxiety, Stress, ADHD, Depression?
NJFitnessGuy
Member # 30886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NJFitnessGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pantethine along with magnesium, C and fish oil seems to help my adrenal fatigue, but of the following supplements, what in your experience has worked best for you with either anxiety, stress, ADHD, OCD and/or depression and in which combinations:

5-HTP
Tyrosine
Theanine
Rhodiola Rosea
Taurine
GABA
St. John`s Wort

I am currently taking 5-htp(300mgs/day), Tyrosine(1,500mgs/day) and Rhodiola Rosea(1,000mgs/day) and it seems to be doing a pretty good job, but not really sure which is working better than the other. I feel much more mellow with less mood swings and sleep has been better.

Considering my dog passed away on monday and had to get him cremated on tuesday, i`m surprised i`m not stressed out to the full max. Monday was possibly the worst day of my life. These supplements are definitely helping. I`ve heard a lot of good things about Theanine as well, but have yet to try it.

My LLMD gave me a script for Trazodone, but after I paid for it and got home, I decided to try and exhaust the natural route first like always and i`m happy I did.

Does anyone have any good experiences on any of the above supplements?

Posts: 85 | From Northeast | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
So sorry to hear about your close buddy. Dogs are such very special creatures. I hope the love soothes the loss.

just quick notes here

I got depressed and wired from St. John's Wort

Rhodiola can be a bit too stimulating for some, if the dose is too much or too late in the day.

5-HTP just makes me drowsy, dizzy and depressed.

Still all these have been very good for others, I've heard and read. Just wanted you to be aware, in case.

You wonder, what else now?

HOLY BASIL / TULSI You might consider Holy Basil (Tulsi), especially at night. It's very calming.

MILK OAT SEED, a glycerine tincture (Herb Pharm)

I have done well when I've taken THEANINE. I think you probably will do fine with that.

Often, it is a combination that works better than on single herb. But, if I had to take just one, I would go with

ASHWAGANDA
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You may have already seen this. If not, be sure to get the Wilson book. It's excellent.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP & ADRENAL SUPPORT
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
You probably are clear of additives but, just to be sure:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=029690;p=0

Excitotoxins; MSG; Aspartame; & "Natural" Flavors

----------------------

A gluten-free diet was a major help in lifting depression for me.
-

NJFitnessGuy
Member # 30886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NJFitnessGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler: Thanks for the kind words regarding my dog. Had a house call vet that I used 7 years ago come to the house to make him more comfortable, but it went very bad. The vet was in a rush, uncompassionate and whatever she gave him to sedate him actually did the opposite. It did not go well.

Thanks for your advice on the supplements. There is a book out by Mark Hyman called The UltraMind Solution which is apparently very helpful and has gotten great reviews. I am going to order it.

I heard about Dr. Wilson`s book on Adrenal Fatigue and read excerpts from it. Seems extremely informative.

Yes, my diet is gluten, wheat, corn, soy, dairy, MSG, artificial sweetners, etc. free. I am on the Genotype Swami diet by Peter D`Adamo. Best diet I have ever tried. Its catered to individualized nutrition.

Posts: 85 | From Northeast | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am sorry. i still grieve for my baby even tho she's been gone about 3 years.

i understand the following can help:

acetyl l carnitine
alpha lipoic acid
magnesium malate
methylocobolamine b12
n acetyl l-cysteine
resveratrol

my friend uses nattozyme (i think that's the name) and she says it helps.

trazodone made my feet break out in blisters and a rash.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
"Its catered to individualized nutrition."

Beyond a diet that would be catered to my individual nutrition, I could so go for someone to cater to my WISHES, eh?

[Warm up the pool just a bit, Jeeves, please? Please bring those frozen grapes now.]

I'm very sorry to hear the transition for your friend was difficult when it SHOULD have been more gentle.

As with many aspects of life that SHOULD be kinder, I'm sure the love connection between your hearts make that all okay, in the end and you were a great comfort.

I'm sure that is the word around that big puppy ranch in the sky. You just got a commemoration out there in the ether, I'm sure.

I grew up with a German Shepherd and realize I have no photos of her. So, I took a gorgeous photo of a wolf out of a Sierra Club calendar and framed it in her honor.

I would not be the same person I am today without having had a splendid shepherd companion from age 6 to 17. I'm sure of that. Forty years later and she is still in my heart.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
COCOA relieves depression & helps me focus, too.

I mix about a 1/2 cup of good quality cocoa with a jar of hazelnut butter and stevia (Trader Joe's or Sweetleaf Stevia Clear) for a "Happy Fudge" that I have on hand in the fridge to just spoon out into a tiny cute maple syrup server.

Any nut butter would work but best not peanuts.
-

lyme in Putnam
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry about your dog. It's a tough thing.

--------------------
He took u to it, He'll you through

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annxyzz
Member # 20404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annxyzz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take a very small dose of zoloft PLUS :

Sam E 400 mg
3 capsules concentrated fish oil ( generous amount needed )
1 small tablet of mineral lithiom orotate
( not a drug and is cheap )

The supplements really help .I would have to take more drugs w/o them .

These have been studied and there are scholarly articles about them )

You might want to read books about SAM E and depression - check amazon .

--------------------
annxyzz

Posts: 1178 | From East Texas | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cocowyo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cocowyo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The right dose and ratio of fish oil plus evening primrose oil has been *awesome* for my anxiety.

2:1, EPA:DHA
I take Natural Factors RxOmega-3 Factors, 3 times a day

If you or a close relative has had a problem with alcoholism or addiction, you may need to take evening primrose oil with the fish oil for the fish oil to work properly.

I take Vital Nutrients Evening Primrose Oil
500mg/GLA 45mg

Good luck, whatever course you decide to take!

--------------------
Clinical dx/muscle tests
+ CBS upregulation, parasites, babs
- bart, KPU, yeast, mold

Blood tests
MCTD (autoimmune): +RNP
MTHFR - homozygous C677T
CD57 - 192

Diet - modified paleo

Posts: 125 | From Rocky Mountains, USA | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, what's left to eat seriously?

quote:
Originally posted by NJFitnessGuy:

Yes, my diet is gluten, wheat, corn, soy, dairy, MSG, artificial sweetners, etc. free. I am on the Genotype Swami diet by Peter D`Adamo. Best diet I have ever tried. Its catered to individualized nutrition.

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lauralyme
Member # 15021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauralyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on that diet for four years!
There are tons of things to eat!

SO sorry about your dog.....that's really rough

--------------------
Fall down seven times, get up eight
~Japanese proverb

Posts: 1146 | From west coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry about your pet! I think about all the pets I've had in my life fairly often. They are good friends to us. Sending positive thoughts to you & your dog...

Anyway- kava kava is good for anxiety. Traditionally, the men in Polynesia drink it so I somehow think it may be better for men than women - or at least, especially good for men.

LOL - seekhelp... I went yeast free for a while & I think I actually lost my taste for bread. They are putting such weird stuff in grains these day - GMOs, pesticides, etc. - we're probably better off cutting them out. You can actually do pretty good with meat or protein & fruits & veggies. You have to eat alot to get full, though.

Organic meat & veggies are a small fortune these days.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler,
Do you have a theory on why St Johns Wort made you feel depressed?

There's a product I love and it definitely gets my cortisol down at night and helps me sleep (Adrenal Calm by Apex Energetics). But I suspect the St Johns Wort is making me feel gloomy/depressed.

Here's ingredients:

Pyridoxal 5-Phosphate (Vitamin B6)
Thiamine HCl (Vitamin B1)
Ubiquinone (CoQ10)
Riboflavin (Vitamin B2)
Phosphatidylserine
Lemon Balm
Milk Thistle
St. Johns Wort
Valerian Root
Hazel bud extract
Juniper bud extract

This really works to give me deep sleep and make me feel calm and relaxed. But damnit! why the depressed feeling from it?

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Homeopathy helps me with anxiety:

Aurum Ars. (general anxiety)
Arsenicum Alb. (general anxiety, panic attacks at night)
Lycopodium (anticipatory anxiety)

I've also had success with GABA, though had to stop taking it after a while because it started giving me strange head-rush sensations.

Essential Oils:

Idaho Balsam Fir - relaxing, relaxes muscles & eases muscle tension

Tranguil (blend of Lavender, Cedarwood & Roman Chamomile) - reduces evening cortisol, uplifting, relaxing

Patchouli - relaxing

Some like Peace & Calming (blend of Tangerine, Orange, Ylang Ylang, Patchouli and Blue Tansy), but I don't find it relaxing myself (too stimulating for me).

Vetiver - can be calming (similar to Valarian, but smells a whole lot better... [Big Grin] )

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sam-e seemed to help me, and taking care of my adrenals REALLY helped. I used a homeopathic thing for that.

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lisa,
What do you use for adrenals?

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adrenal Support by Natrabio

here is a link, but you can get it many places. I get mine at local stores

http://www.drugstore.com/natrabio-adrenal-support/qxp148847

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tick battler
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best thing to get rid of those symptoms is to get rid of parasites. Those are classic parasite symptoms.
Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SLML
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42986

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLML     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depression from 5htp or St. John's Wart is indicative of low norephineprhine/epinephrine/dopamine levels.

Taking 5htp and St. Johns Wart work by raising serotonin levels. This is also the precurser to melatonin which makes us sleepy. If one has low norepinephrine levels, taking these supplements lower the norepinephrine and raise serotonin in the body. This can result in depression and sleepiness if there is too little norepinephrine in the body. It is like a balance. When you put one kind in it effects the other. That is why some people have to take both tyrosine and 5htp to keep their body in balance. Some do fine with 5htp because low serotonin is their issue. Some do well with just tyrosine because low norepinephrine is their issue.

I learned all this from a psychiatrist who worked with these amino acids and tested the results on neurotranmitter tests. Lithium - raises both neurotransmitters in the body (both serotonin and norepinephrine). Depression can stem from any of these being too low.

Usually ADHD has to do with low dopamine/norephinephrine and OCD has more to do with low serotonin. A good book on this is the Mood Cure.

Pharmasan Labs does neurotramsitter testing. Integrative Psychiatry offers the testing with a consult on their page. I believe it is about $265 and they recommend supplements based on test results. I have no affiliation with any of these. I just am sharing what helped me and the experience I had with my doctor. I got my tests for free (not anymore though) because at the time my doctor was a research physcian so his patients got free testing.

Also, I should add that taking a large dose or even a dose that is too much for ones particular body can have adverse affects on mood. It can be really tough to find the balance! Of course, taking a large dose can be the perfect thing if that is what your body needs and everyone is so different.

Posts: 123 | From Washington State | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so sorry you lost your dog and his passing was not as peaceful as you hoped. He is in a better place romping through beautiful places. Some people say there is a place they call the Rainbow bridge; the entrance into heaven. When we die, we are met there first by our pets.

Even Billy Graham said he knew God intended to make us happy in heaven and if that meant having his dog there, he would be there. I lost 4 of my pets in bout 6 months plus my mother. That was 2010. Now I have two new dogs and they are the best.

About your anxiety, depression etc. I have had the same thing. About a month ago I felt on the brink. I began treating with Alinia and the anxiety calmed down very quickly. On a scale of 0 to 10 (10 highest) I was 10++. In a week I was down to 4.

I switched to Bactrim and am still doing much better. I am at 2 now. Bartonella was causing it for me but I also had a lot going on in my life that was stressing me to the limit.

Dr. H wrote in his new book he gives patients with adrenal fatigue causing anxiety and insomnia a product called Adrenal Complex that has been very helpful. I bought Integrative Therapeutics. It has bovine adrenal.

I have a CBS mutation so I can go into overdrive if I eat food with too much sulfur. I take 500-1000 mg of GABA twice a day. That is very helpful too. I take folinic acid (or methyl folate) in the evening and that is calming. Methy B12 is essential for the nerves and insomnia.

The NP I saw gave me a product called PheniTropic specifically for anxiety. I was feeling much better when I started it so I can't say how well it works. This product is beta-Phenyl-gamma-aminobutyric acid, a derivative of GABA.

" Phenibut (another name for this) is widely used in Russia to relieve tension, anxiety, and fear, to improve sleep in psychosomatic or neurotic patients; as well as a pre- or post-operative medication. It is also used in the therapy of disorders characterized by asthenia and depression, as well as in post-traumatic stress, stuttering and vestibular disorders."

Good information about it here:
http://www.phenibutforanxiety.com/thescienceofphenibut.php

Another supplement I am getting ready to try is Lithium Oratate. This is not the drug given to people with psychosis although some people using stronger drugs have been able to switch to this supplements, which has no side effects.

This is supposed to be very good for stress, depression, PTSD, ADHD , addiction and insomnia. You start of low and work up. I found a great article about it but can't find where I saved it. I plan to start it after a week being on all this over new stuff.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This isn't the site I had in mind but it explains lithium orotate very well. Funny, I FORGOT one of the reason I was most interested in it, is it's protection agains Alzheimer's.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res003jh/lithium-orotate/id13.html

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement