LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Help with 12 y/o son

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help with 12 y/o son
Hoops123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18333

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoops123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My oldest son and I have tested positive for lyme and have been treated by an LLMD. My younger son, age 12, has been diagnosed with inattentive ADHD and some anxiety. He has been tested twice for lyme (elisa and western blot) by labcorp, with absolutely nothing. His behavior makes me think there is something going on in his brain that is not right. He has many of the symptoms of neuro lyme.

If he was your son, would you pursue the lyme aspect of this with either consultation with an LLMD or MDL/Igenex testing?

Seems like this disease is very common amongst family members due to their similar activities and exposure. Plus, IMHO, I do believe that lyme can be passed from Mother to child.

Posts: 749 | From State full of ticks | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milagro
Member # 37023

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milagro         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If he were my son, I would absolutely get him tested through Igenex. You might be able to get your GP to sign the order.

That way, if you end up seeing an LLMD you'd be walking in with a positive test result and not have to wait to start treatment.

Posts: 88 | From NE | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In this case, I would want the new lyme culture test done on my son.

I think this is the best test we now have. So, that is why I would want that test done.

I would also take him to a good lyme doctor for his opinion. I would not be surprised if that doc decided to try him on a course of antibiotics to see what would happen.

His reaction could be dramatic and would be all the proof you would need.

"Consideration should be given to tick exposure, rashes (even atypical ones), evolution of typical symptoms in a previously asymptomatic individual, and results of tests for tick-borne pathogens. Another very important factor is response to treatment- presence or absence of Jarisch Herxheimer-like reactions, the classic four-week cycle of waxing and waning of symptoms, and improvement with therapy." (page 7 of Burrascano Guidelines)

See especially that last sentence. With this disease, sometimes you have to treat it to find out if you have it!

Based on the little you have said, I think it is well worth the money to find out if his anxiety and ADHD would actually go away with lyme treatment.

I once suffered with anxiety, and I would not wish that on anyone.

So, think over how long you believe you have had lyme (did you have it when pregnant with him?), how long you have noticed these symptoms in him (was he "normal" up until a certain date, or was he sickly from birth), and how many other lyme type symptoms he has.

Has he added more lyme symptoms as time goes by? things like that.

After all, you are in a state full of ticks, so you know he has had the opportunity to be infected, perhaps more than one way.

And, Burrascano says the ELISA is useless. Also, Labcorp lyme test is pretty bad. So, don't put any false feeling of security in these tests.

At Burrascano's lectures, he always recommends Igenex, and, of course now, the new lyme culture test he was in part responsible for getting created.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoops123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18333

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoops123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone else?
Posts: 749 | From State full of ticks | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ktkdommer
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 29020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ktkdommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My advice is to get the testing done soon and treatment if needed. Puberty and Lyme disease are a horrible combination for our teens. Everything feel apart for my son between ages 12 and 15. Puberty can be a trigger. If he has Lyme and not that sick, with puberty he may show more and more symptoms and feel terrible.

Best wishes,

--------------------
Things are never dull. After 3 fighting Lyme, 2 are in remission. Youngest is still sick, age 22. He has new diagnosed Chiari Malformation and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.

Posts: 1366 | From Perrysburg, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
t9im
Member # 25489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for t9im   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Hoops123:

I agree with TF on trying the culture test from advanced labs. But even if this is negative it does not mean you don't have it.

I would also do the Igenex WB. Remamber even one positive lyme band indicates exposure and 41 indicates a spirochete (just not specific to lyme).

Of course I'm sure funds come into play as the above will cost you a quick $1,000.

--------------------
Tim

Posts: 1111 | From Glastonbury, CT | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is not unusual for children to have cognitive and psychological symptoms when infected by tick borne diseases, Hoops123. Off the top of my head, troubles can include the following:

Cognitive -- speed processing, executive functioning, auditory processing, character recognition, character reversals, word retrieval, visual processing, short-term memory -- any of these can be be caused by tick-borne disease. Neuropsychological testing can point these out.

Psychological -- anxiety, depression, irritability, new-onset tantrums, lethargy, obsessive-compulsivity, oppositional defiant disorder can all be caused by tick-borne infection.

In addition, the child may be experiencing some pain, headache, or other symptoms but, with the brain fog and long-term pain, a child may not remember what it feels like to be without pain.

Cognitive-psychological Lyme is late-stage neurological Lyme, and may not show up on standard blood tests because the immune system has been suppressed by the disease. You might try the new culture test, or you might simply try a treatment trial to see if he experiences improvement (after a Herxheimer, closely monitored because psych symptoms may occur or increase).

So yes, I would pursue the idea that it might be tick-borne, but I would take him to the LLMD in my area (and symptoms can be quite geographically specific, so it helps to take him to the LLMD closest to you, if possible). And yes, been there, done that, successful outcome with my child years later.

Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hoops,

Not negating getting a Lyme dx, but knowing what i know now about parasites, I would first try some antiparasitic herbs and check the symptom list at Humaworm. They also have childrens doses. Anxiety and ADHD are high on the list.

FTI, parasites need to be treated for more than thirty days, unlike what Humaworm suggests.

I would research everything about parasites and do a search on here. Lyme has a Major parasitic component to it, and using antiparasitic herbs and salt/c is what got me well after yrs of abx did not.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoops123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18333

Thank you all ! Great tips and advice. I will follow up with my LLMD.
lyme987
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme987     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found out my son had lyme while I was rifing.
Those who are not sick will not react to the frequencies

I've been dealing with this dreaded disease for 5 years now. did all antibiotics-IV, IM shots, orals-4 years straight

Rifing now and much better. I had my son tested so many times and he was always negative

Took him to my nautropath and he has everything I have. Treating him now with rife and antimicrobials

Posts: 298 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look into OmegaBrite fish oil for the attention deficit and anxiety.

http://omegabrite.com/why/effects.html

The very high ratio of EPA helps to reduce inflammation and increase the integrity of the cell membranes.
This means the brain cells will get more bloodflow, more oxygen and nutrients.
The brain will work better!

Also, supplemental magnesium may help the anxiety.
And eat foods high in magnesium:
Almonds, almond butter
Dark chocolate
Beans, kidney beans, baked beans, bean soup, bean burritoes.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Garden
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Garden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might also check into MTHFR issues, leaky gut syndrome, gluten intolerance/celiac disease.

There are kids who have been healed of anxiety and ADHD with the GAPS diet, vitamin supplementation and/or gluten avoidance.

--------------------
Garden

"Fibromylagia" for 8+ years
Pos IgeneX WB per both Igenex and CDC
Pos Neuroscience MyLymeImmuneID
Started tx for Lyme in March 2011

Posts: 245 | From East Coast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoops123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18333

Update

Running a bunch of medical tests. So far, only MDL lyme results back and only band 41 on IGG.

Debating about effectiveness of neurotransmitter test or just put that $$ to medical care.

Went to presentation last night where a few of the ILADS board members spoke. Felt like they were talking to me personally as all of the behaviors are my undiagnosed son. Basically, they said that the testing is useless anyway since it only shows exposure.

Wondering if I should take him to the Ilads trained psych for evaluation of TBD but they don't treat and will send you out to an LLMD like Dr H in NY or Dr C in PA.

This disease is absolutely the worse.......

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement