LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Cortisone shot for back pain

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cortisone shot for back pain
lyme1987
Member # 35189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme1987     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read a few posts that say.cortisone shots are not good for people with lyme. I have been having back pain for almost a year now and was planning on getting a shot in my back next week. I am also planning on beginning IV treatment for my lyme within the next day or so. Are cortisone shots really a problem? Wouldn't a shot be localized and not. cause a systemic reaction?
Posts: 97 | From New York | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Systemic FOR SURE. Not localized AT ALL.

Disastrous? Most likely!

If you feel you must, then get on abx BEFORE the shot.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme1987
Member # 35189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme1987     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would you suggest that I be on the antibiotics for at least a specified amount of time before the shot? What could happen? I have chronic Lyme I have had exposure to ticks tho and I am not sure if this is a new infection or the chronic Lyme. It is mostly neurological however. Are the consequences that dire?
Posts: 97 | From New York | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It makes the Lyme go deeper. Makes it harder to recover from. Could make the neuro really bad.

I need a cortisone shot too and am choosing to live in pain. I have two bulging discs.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme1987
Member # 35189

I have a centrally herniated disc at L5 S1 and a bulging disc at L4. I also have severe degenerative disc disease which the drs feel is giving me the most problem with inflammation. This started last march/April and coincidently I began having problems with the Lyme again.

Both the back and the neuro Lyme symptoms have gotten significantly worse. Unfortunately I was having a hard time believing it was the Lyme again and was led down the path by primary md of scans, scopes, heart tests, you name it with the final diagnosis of........you guessed it! Anxiety!

So I finally got smart and went back to my llmd and should be starting IV in a day or so. But the back problem is significantly interfering with simple daily activities.

Should I wait on the shot and see if the IV helps my back at all? Could that be a possibility that the Lyme is contributing to the back issue?

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by lyme1987:

Should I wait on the shot and see if the IV helps my back at all? Could that be a possibility that the Lyme is contributing to the back issue?

-
YES and YES.

I can barely type, my pain is so bad. I hope others chime in to give you their personal experiences.

I have bad discs at L5, S1 and I think C5 and 6.. plus stenosis and spurs in my neck.

Simple activities? I'm almost down to nothing right now. Having a bad few weeks.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can take systemic enzymes to reduce the inflammation and the back pain.

LED light therapy will reduce the inflammation and pain.
Simple and noninvasive.

Hey Lymetoo...ask the guy who's doing low level laser on your feet to treat your back.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme1987
Member # 35189

Where do I find systemic enzymes? Also I must mention that I am allergic to all Advil type pain medications.
lyme1987
Member # 35189

Also, led light therapy? Where do I find these services?
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How systemic enzymes work
http://www.newswithviews.com/Howenstine/james174.htm

http://www.iherb.com/Search?kw=systemic+enzymes

NOVA, LED Light Therapy, American Medical Review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrLSJ9kKKmM

Physical therapy departments would have this, as do some chiropractors and other professionals.
You can buy the LED light therapy units yourself, which is what many people here have done, but they are not as strong as the professional models.
Hah, not as expensive as them either.

Photonic Energetics Model PE-1
http://www.photonicenergetics.com/

SOTA LightWorks
http://www.sota.com/lightworks.html
(Google for a discount coupon.)

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
lyme1987

Q: "Are cortisone shots really a problem?"

Absolutely, even one can ruin the life of someone with lyme.

Q: "Wouldn't a shot be localized and not cause a systemic reaction?"

No.

Do not believe any doctor who says a steroid shot stays where it's injected. It does not.

Steroids are a huge "no" for those with lyme. We are advised to avoid even topical steroid creams - as well as steroid nasal sprays.

Just say "NO" - here's why:
--------------------------------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/100984?#000000

Topic: what do STEROIDS actually do to us (with lyme)?
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read my post on this thread about cortisone shots:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/116498

I give quotes from Burrascano about how steroids (including these shots) can cause permanent damage to people with lyme disease.

If you do it you will likely regret it for the rest of your life.

That cortisone does not just stay where it is injected--just like any other injection. In fact, the more active you are, the faster it disseminates.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Carol has some great ideas. More here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/24039

Topic: Looking for long term pain management
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme1987
Member # 35189

What about prednisone taken orally? Does that cause the same problems?
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. For sure.

ANY steroid in any form is a disaster for someone with lyme disease.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme1987
Member # 35189

Thank you. This really poses a problem for me because I am to start iv treatment today for the lyme.

I have chronic lyme, had the bite in 1987, rash, etc, never diagnosed for four years after that. Have relapses every so often. Each one is always different and I never test positive. I am always thinking there is something else wrong with me and that it is not lyme.

This time around it is primarily anxiety, brain fog, sleeplessness, loss of appetite and weight loss. I have had these symptoms before with relapses but usually accompanied with joint pain, headaches, neck pain, etc.

In any event, I have this back problem that is severely interfering with my everyday life but I have also been getting alot of neuro symptoms of lyme since last September. First time was right after a 500 mg dose of cipro for a uti. Took a while for things to calm down - Then I had a round of biaxin for a sinus infection. Same thing happened. Again with a short round of clindamycin. Each time i get these horrific symptoms that last at least one week to a month after antiobiotics. Is this lyme? I still test negative but my llmd is willing to treat me.

I have this terrible back issue that might be helped with a cortisone shot. I should avoid this totally and try the suggestions made by Carol in PA?

Help, I am so confused. I don't know whether to get the iv treatment or not. Maybe its hormones or I'm just stressed out? Maybe I have another autoimmune issue? I have Hashimotos Thyroiditis. how can you be sure whether its lyme or not?

TF
Member # 14183

You get lots of neuro symptoms each time you take an antibiotic for some other medical condition. This has happened with cipro, then biaxin, and then clindaycin.

Is this lyme?

YES, YES, YES !!!!!

You are having a herxheimer reaction to the antibiotics. That PROVES that it is lyme.

Cipro, biaxin, and clindamycin all kill lyme. Read it in Burrascano.

"Several days after the onset of appropriate antibiotic therapy, symptoms often flare due to lysis of the spirochetes with release of increased amount of antigenic material and possibly bacterial toxins. This is referred to as a Jarisch Herxheimer-like reaction. Because it takes 48 to 72 hours of therapy to initiate bacterial killing, the Herxheimer reaction is therefore delayed. This is unlike syphilis, in which these reactions can occur within hours." (page 17)

"DIAGNOSTIC HINTS

Lyme Borreliosis (LB) is diagnosed clinically, as no currently available test, no matter the source or type, is definitive in ruling in or ruling out infection with these pathogens, or whether these infections are responsible for the patient's symptoms. The entire clinical picture must be taken into account, including a search for concurrent conditions and alternate diagnoses, and other reasons for some of the presenting complaints. Often, much of the diagnostic process in late, disseminated Lyme involves ruling out other illnesses and defining the extent of damage that might require separate evaluation and treatment.

Consideration should be given to tick exposure, rashes (even atypical ones), evolution of typical symptoms in a previously asymptomatic individual, and results of tests for tick-borne pathogens. Another very important factor is response to treatment- presence or absence of Jarisch Herxheimer-like reactions, the classic four-week cycle of waxing and waning of symptoms, and improvement with therapy. (page 7)

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

See the last sentence of the second quote especially. In the year 2012, one of the important ways we diagnose someone with chronic lyme disease is by giving them a course of antibiotics and seeing how they respond.

You respond by getting a herxheimer reaction--meaning getting a huge flare of your lyme symptoms.

So, by all means, get the IV lyme treatment. That will tell the tale. I don't think you will have any doubt in your mind anymore about whether or not you have lyme once you are treated with IV meds.

See this quote also:

"For unknown reasons, the worst occurs at the fourth week of treatment. Observation suggest that the more severe this reaction, the higher the germ load, and the more ill the patient. In those with long-standing highly symptomatic disease who are on I.V. therapy, the week-four flare can be very severe, similar to a serum sickness reaction, and be associated with transient leucopenia and/or elevations in liver enzymes. If this happens, decrease the dose temporarily, or interrupt treatment for several days, then resume with a lower dose. If you are able to continue or resume therapy, then patients continue to improve. Those whose treatment is stopped and not restarted at this point usually will need retreatment in the future due to ongoing or recurrent symptoms because the infection was not eradicated.

Patients on I.V. therapy who have a strong reaction at the fourth week will need to continue parenteral antibiotics for several months, for when this monthly reaction finally lessens in severity, then oral or IM medications can be substituted. Indeed, it is just this observation that guides the clinician in determining the endpoint of I.V. treatment. In general, I.V. therapy is given until there is a clear positive response, and then treatment is changed to IM or po until free of signs of active infection for 4 to 8 weeks. Some patients, however, will not respond to IM or po treatment and I.V. therapy will have to be used throughout." (page 17)

So, keep track of all of your responses to the IV therapy. Also, be especially careful to note what happens after 28 days or so of IV. That is the 4 week reaction or flare of lyme symptoms that Burrascano is talking about above.

I have suffered back pain and had to have the epidural injections of steroids. So, I know how bad back pain can be. (Diagnosed with degenerative disc disease, herniated disc, bulging disc, and "dead disc" meaning flat and shows up as black on x-ray and MRI.)

My hope is that the IV therapy is going to take a lot of this pain away for you. Many, many symptoms are going to go away. You are going to be surprised by this, my friend.

Lyme causes inflammation, so treating the lyme is like taking an anti-inflammatory. That may be all you need to get rid of your back pain.

Once you are rid of lyme, if you still have back pain, then you can feel confident that it is not caused by lyme.

Still, I advise you not to take any steroids for this problem until you have been rid of lyme for at least a year. Otherwise, the steroids could cause a lyme relapse.

I was rid of lyme longer than that when I got my 2 steroid injections in my spine. I was rid of lyme at least 2 years by then. I did very, very well and never had to have anymore.

Instead, if I lift too much weight or bend too much and get back pain, I take an anti-inflammatory that has been prescribed for me (Mobic). But, that happens rarely--maybe once in a year or less.

Also, Burrascano says not to allow the use of electrical stimulation machines for your back pain. These are not good either for those with lyme. So, be sure to tell any physical therapist and doctor that you will not allow electrical stim machines to be used on you.

"The physical therapy should involve massage, heat, ultrasound and simple range of motion exercises to relieve discomfort and promote better sleep and flexibility. Ice (vasoconstriction) and electrical stimulation (muscle spasm and trauma) should not be used!" (page 31)

lyme1987
Member # 35189

TF - Thank you so much for your reply. I have been feeling so conflicted as to whether to take the iv or not and whether it would be worth it or not. Quite honestly i was beginning to doubt myself and that maybe something else was wrong with me or that I am going crazy.

But would those symptoms come on that fast taking antibiotics for only 1-3 days?

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Gotta warn you, I pounce fast and hard anytime I see or hear anyone with a chronic illness voice the question:

"going crazy?"

Please, drop all such notions, all such language from your brain.

I'm sorry for all you deal with and the hundreds of thousands of others in our world who are chronically ill with inadequate medical and support care.

Just because crappy doctor after crappy doctor tell us we are "crazy" does NOT make it so.

Lyme is very complex and it's never really just lyme, either.

So, please be kind and honest with yourself and know that this is real. All this usually involves a range of emotions, I assure you. And it's okay to feel all that. It's normal, under the circumstances.

But please keep dignity at all times. We have to hold onto our dignity, even with our own self-talk, and self-thoughts.

Good luck.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Q: "But would those symptoms come on that fast taking antibiotics for only 1-3 days?"

Absolutely. Within 20 minutes of our taking an antibiotic, spirochetes react with their own dastardly defensive measures.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Q: Might there be other things going on?

Maybe. Maybe not. Lyme is exquisitely intricate and can cause a vast array & cascade of problems.

Still, a good LLMD is important to sort this out.

-------------------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=015508;p=0

Diagnosing Lyme Disease (&/or whatever else is going on)

Other tick-borne infections and other chronic stealth infections - as well as certain conditions - that can hold us back are discussed here.

==================

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=013239;p=0

(What ILADS is) . . . WHY you need an ILADS-educated, Lyme Literate Doctor - starting with assessment / evaluation.
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Carol in PA:

Hey Lymetoo...ask the guy who's doing low level laser on your feet to treat your back.

-
I may do that.. traction isn't helping much.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lyme1987
Member # 35189

Thanks again, you definitely make me feel better about it. I know there is something organically wrong with me, but no doctor really listened or believed me. I do know my body and something is terribly wrong. I also know that many of these symptoms are reminiscent of my previous bouts with lyme although different in some ways, not all the symptoms, and some new ones. That is why it became confusing to me because it is shape-shifting, so to speak.
TF
Member # 14183

"Because it takes 48 to 72 hours of therapy to initiate bacterial killing, the Herxheimer reaction is therefore delayed."

This quote is saying that the herx generally takes 48 to 72 hours after you start an antibiotic. So, that is 2-3 days.

However, some have reported having a herx within a few hours of taking an antibiotic. So, more rapid herxes are not unheard of.

So, a 3 day course of antibiotics is enough to bring on a herx. Even a one day course will do it for some people. So, certainly a 6 day or 10 day course is capable of causing a herx in people.

The herx is going to start on day 2 or by day 3, so that isn't a long wait for the reaction to the antibiotic.

You said: "Each time i get these horrific symptoms that last at least one week to a month after antiobiotics."

If the herx lasts a month, that is a long-lasting herx and makes me think that you will need serious help detoxifying to help shorten the herxes and make them milder, especially while you are on IV.

To help with this, will your doc give you IV glutathione weekly or daily glutathione suppositories?

I hope your doc is up on all the latest detox methods so that you don't suffer unnecessarily while on the IV due to toxins building up in your body.

I must say that I have a high opinion of your doctor since she/he is wanting to put you on IV. That is bold and that is likely what is going to get rid of this disease for you once and for all.

You are fortunate to have this doctor.

Keep us posted.

TF
Member # 14183

As lyme disease progresses, you can expect new symptoms. The disease is attacking new bodily systems, taking new territory, etc.

You have to hit this thing hard because if allowed to progress indefinitely, the symptoms can get so bad (brain symptoms, for example) that you might not be able to advocate for yourself in the future.

lyme1987
Member # 35189

Keebler, Lymetoo and TF- thank you do much for your responses. I have let this go for about 10 months and was starting to experience some new symptoms lately that I never had before - worse than usual memory problems, ear and head pressure -feels like my ears are clogged but they are not, ear ringing and my head is going to burst.

Do you think I have a chance here or did Iet it go too long?

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Plenty of chance to recover!! As long as you don't get that shot!! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lyme1987
Member # 35189

Lymetoo, I am so glad that you and the others gave me this information. When I went for my first IV treatment this afternoon, I asked my llmd about the cortisone shots and he also said that it is best to avoid it with Lyme.

I really hope I can recover. I let myself be talked into doing so many other tests because the internist I was going to - and incidently is also an infectious disease md - told me I could not have Lyme and that chronic Lyme does not exist.

I should have known better having suffered with this before and having heard the same thing before from other drs. Now I am paying the price.

lyme1987
Member # 35189

And I am really worried about herxing and what will happen with that.
nonna05
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO NO NO steroids [tsk]

There are other things for pain...maybe not all gone ,but help...So many here know of supps/herbs/

I have to take vicodin,, lots of L1 S5 problems ,plus the LYME pain,Fibro pain, sick pain etc...

But I take so much less than ordered ....

Boswella ,best grade,,, also if not on any opiod of any kind a compound pharmacy can make LDN.

Works for some, Ozone, Lidocane etc

NEVER STEROID...gas on fire,,,,, [shake]

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Why aren't you on IV at home, giving yourself infusions twice per day?

That is the typical IV treatment for lyme--not going to a doctor's office.

Oh, oh, ....

What medication did the doctor give you and how much of it?

Have you been set up to have a picc inserted in your arm so that you can do the iv at home daily or 4 days in a row per week?

That is what should be happening.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
lyme1987,

You asked about ringing in the ears. Here you go:
-------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS
-

lyme1987
Member # 35189

TF, the llmd is doing the IV rocephin in his office once every day. He is starting me off with.one gram, half the dose for a few days because of allergies I have to penicillin and even ceftin which is in the same family as rocephin. The insurance co will only pay to have it done this way or with a home health care aide.

Keebler thank you for the tinnitus info!

lyme1987
Member # 35189

Also, I am going to have to ask the dr about detox methods. I was only told to drink a lot of water and stay away from fat and sugar.
Cold Feet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold Feet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebs, well said:

"...Lyme is very complex and it's never really just lyme, either..."

Indeed.

--------------------
My biofilm film: www.whyamistillsick.com
2004 Mycoplasma Pneumonia
2006 Positive after 2 years of hell
2006-08 Marshall Protocol. Killed many bug species
2009 - Beating candida, doing better
Lahey Clinic in Mass: what a racquet!

Posts: 830 | From Mass. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme1987
Member # 35189

Hey everyone. Think I have a problem here. Had second IV yesterday of rocephin. Got a few hives last night but got up this morning and I have a rash on my forehead, cheeks and the flares of my nostrils are really red and feel burnt. This is an allergy right? I just hope its not drug induced lupus. My mother had lupus late in life and I already have hashimotos thyroiditis.
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Get some pictures, for your files.
Your doc will want to see them.

You could try a dose of Benedryl and see if that reduces the hives and the rash.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Be sure your LIVER SUPPORT is well balanced. (Milk Thistle, N-Acetyl-Cysteine, etc.)

The skin is an organ of detoxification and if the liver & kidneys are overwhelmed, the skin can show signs of "toxic heat" or stress.

Drinking enough water?

Good amount of FISH OIL? That helps skin.
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Carol in PA:
Get some pictures, for your files.
Your doc will want to see them.

You could try a dose of Benedryl and see if that reduces the hives and the rash.

-
Can you call your DR?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lyme1987
Member # 35189

Went to the drs today. Took me off rocephin. Said I cannot take any antibiotics for a week. Now what? I am allergic to penicillin, now rocephin and ceftin, doxycline never helps me. I just want to cry. I need to get better. What can be done?
lyme1987
Member # 35189

Keebler, if the skin shows signs of toxic heat and that is what I have, it's not necessarily an allergic reaction?
TF
Member # 14183

Well, it sounds like you CAN take the tetracyclines. Here is what Burrascano says:

"There are four types of antibiotics in general use for Bb treatment. The TETRACYCLINES, including doxycycline and minocycline, are bacteriostatic unless given in high doses. If high blood levels are not attained, treatment failures in early and late disease are common. However, these high doses can be difficult to tolerate.

For example, doxycycline can be very effective but only if adequate blood levels are achieved either by high oral doses (300 to 600 mg daily) or by parenteral administration. Kill kinetics indicate that a large spike in blood and tissue levels is more effective than sustained levels, which is why with doxycycline, oral doses of 200 mg bid is more effective than 100 mg qid. Likewise, this is why IV doses of 400 mg once a day is more effective than any oral regimen." (page 14)

Doxy won't help unless it is taken in high doses, as it says above. So, you can try that. You can take it by IV.

Then, there are also the erythromycins:

"ERYTHROMYCIN has been shown to be almost ineffective as monotherapy. The azalide azithromycin is somewhat more effective but only minimally so when given orally. As an IV drug, much better results are seen.

Clarithromycin is more effective as an oral agent than azithromycin, but can be difficult to tolerate due to its tendency to promote yeast overgrowth, bad aftertaste, and poor GI tolerance at the high doses needed. These problems are much less severe with the ketolide telithromycin, which is generally well tolerated.

Erythromycins (and the advanced generation derivatives mentioned above) have impressively low MBCs and they do concentrate in tissues and penetrate cells, so they theoretically should be ideal agents. So why is it that erythromycin ineffective, and why have initial clinical results with azithromycin (and to a lesser degree, clarithromycin) have been disappointing? It has been suggested that when Bb is within a cell, it is held within a vacuole and bathed in fluid of low pH, and this acidity may inactivate azithromycin and clarithromycin.

Therefore, they are administered concurrently with hydroxychloroquine or amantadine, which raise vacuolar pH, rendering these antibiotics more effective. It is not known whether this same technique will make erythromycin a more effective antibiotic in LB. Another alternative is to administer azithromycin parenterally. Results are excellent, but expect to see abrupt Jarisch-Herxheimer reactions.

Telithromycin, on the other hand, is stable in the intracellular acid environment, which may be why this is currently by far the most effective drug of this class, and may replace the others in the majority of patients with LB. Likewise, there is no need to co-administer amantadine or hydroxychloroquine. This antibiotic has other advantages- it has been engineered to prevent drug resistance, has almost no negative impact on E. coli in the intestinal tract (hopefully minimizing the risk for diarrhea), and it can be taken with or without food." (pages 14-15)

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

So, don't despair! You can also try IV zith and also telithromycin as stated above.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Q: "not necessarily an allergic reaction? "

Not necessarily - but I just posed the possibility. I'm not a medical person. You might consult the mfg. web pages that would detail allergy symptoms to that specific drugs - though that may not be totally clear.

You say:

"Went to the drs today. Took me off rocephin. Said I cannot take any antibiotics for a week. Now what?" (end quote).

As TF posted, there are other choice.

The week off will likely help sort this all out.

Still: LIVER SUPPORT is so very important. Other Herx management support, too.

This can still get better, really.
-

lyme1987
Member # 35189

TF thank you for letting me know there are other choices. Although doxycycline never helped me in the past, that may have been because it was in doses of 100 mg twice per day. I was always able to tolerate Zithromax and have used it over the years to combat relapses.

The llmd has been reluctant to put me back on that tho because I had an episode while on 500 mg a day where I passed out one night and then went into A Fib. My heart tests were All normal and none of the drs ever really figured out what happened. At the time tho I was getting hypothyroid. That was the only abnormal thing that came up. That and a positive Ana

The Ana is now negative. In any event the llmd wanTs to see me this week to discuss all options.

Keebler yes, it is pretty certain to b an allergic reaction. And yes the week will hopefully straighten some things out but I hate to not treat for yet another week. It's been almost a year since I started having symptoms, had the episode that sent me to the hospital and then on a roller coaster ever since for one test or another that never explained anything

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
You are not "not treating" this week. This week your treatment is to sort this out. Your body requires some time off after the shock of allergic reaction.

Nourish and prepare your body for the next phase. This, too, is treatment. It will help you sort out some of your support supplements, too.
-

lyme1987
Member # 35189

Keebler do u have any suggestions on supplements right now? The liver support ones? Anything else?
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Excellent foods with LOTS of greens for each meal, water, rest, just the right amount of gentle movement -- & a strict bedtime are very important even without any supplements.

I don't know how or if LLMD instructed you on supplements but his /her direction supersedes mine (I have no medical or formal herbal training whatsoever).

However, in general:

Magnesium and fish oil always vital. Always.

Stinging Nettle can help overcome an allergic reaction by calming a cytokine storm.

Gotu Kola can help the skin to clear toxic reaction.

For both of those, I prefer ECLECTIC INSTITUTE brand.

Milk Thistle is key but if your liver is overloaded even that might be too much stress. Not everyone can tolerate Milk Thistle.

Dandelion Tea might be the more gentle choice. Be sure a tea it does not contain "natural flavors"

Here's just one article:

www.leaflady.org/health_benefits_of_dandelions.htm
-

lyme1987
Member # 35189

Keebler, I never knew about dandelions being so medicinal. Thank you for this information.

I just wish I hadn't waited so long for treatment and let myself be told by other drs that it wasn't Lyme. I am afraid that it really has a hold on me now. The fatigue is back in addition to everything else and it is crushing.

Also, I have found that in the past ten months I have not been able to eat any sugar at all or the Lyme really hits me hard within hours. Is it true that the bacteria love the sugar?

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Why would anyone WANT to eat any sugar, anyway?

Being unable to eat sugar is a gift. Your body has gained wisdom.

Yes, bacteria love sugar but they can feed on anything we eat, too. We can't starve them but we can not let them runamuk in the candy store.

With lyme also comes major dysfunction in the adrenal system and that can have us craving sugar but also being unable to tolerate the elevation and crash from that.

Lyme also makes us more susceptible to developing diabetes so we need to be aware of that.

Refined sugar is toxic, IMO. VERY toxic and not good for anyone.

There are others ways to enjoy sweetness, even with on a candida-aware diet.

After a few days being off sugar it gets easier. After 21 days, MUCH easier and you will taste the sweetness in vegetables.

A tart apple, baked, with a touch of STEVIA (from plants, never any artificial sweetener) . . . might be tolerated if following a full balanced meal. Dark Berries, too. In moderation.

I find PECANS a perfect dessert and love their sweetness.

Green Tea - with a tiny bit of stevia is a nice treat, too.

"Fudge" Cocoa powder mixed with Hazelnut Butter - and a dash of stevia.

Stir well in a large measuring cup and transfer to a separate clean glass jar. Spoon out a bit of this "fudge" as you wish (but probably stick to just 2 spoons a day).

Other nut butters could be used but avoid peanuts due to mold issues.

After opening and stirring, keep all nut butters and concoctions in the fridge.

If the nut butter is too dense, you can add other nut OILS to help.

Chocolate "Milk" -- any good blender should be able to make nut milk from soft nuts like WALNUTS and PECANS. Add cocoa powder (&/or carob root powder), stevia.

Sadly, while the packaged almond milks are nice, so many contain "natural flavors" and that can mean MSG or excitotoxin characteristics of addiction.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Good sleep and adrenal support are key to letting go of sugar's grasp:
---------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP & ADRENAL SUPPORT
-

lyme1987
Member # 35189

And yes I overdid myself today and I am afraid I will pay dearly for that. Tried to do too much. My legs feel so tired and the muscles hurt. My brain is all foggy and my vision is blurry. Really did way too much today. Keebler I know you are right about the resting part. It is so important and I just pushed too hard. The fatigue came down at me all at once like it always does when I overdo it. And believe me it's not like I really did all that much. But too much for me to be on the run all day.
lyme1987
Member # 35189

I have been doing without sugar for months now and try to avoid it the best I can. Stevia is good you say? Your other suggestions sound yummy.
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
PACE yourself, PLAN it out in advance. Check in with your body and listen.

Rather than see rest as a prison sentence for having done too much, try to visualize being in a nice place, doing what you love. See rest as a gift to your body. It's a requirement.

I would rather not even have to sleep, I'd rather be experiencing life. I have to watch myself with that tendency.

I know that I will never get to really experience life if I do not give my body the "down time" during which it actually works very hard for me.

This is when the liver does its magic.

----------------------------------------------

Be sure your diet has none of this and getting off sugar will also be easier:
-------

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=029690;p=0

Excitotoxins; MSG; Aspartame; & "Natural" Flavors
-

lyme1987
Member # 35189

You are right. I used to call it 'budgeting my energy' when I was hit bad with the Lyme last time. Yes I need to listen to my body. Usually pushing the limits only sets me back.

I just hope the dr finds a treatment that will work for me. I don't know why I keep developing new allergies.

lyme1987
Member # 35189

This rash on my face is concerning me though. It appears to be getting worse.
lyme1987
Member # 35189

I have had a rash on my face on both cheeks further back by the ears since last May when I got home from the hospital the dermatologist said it was rosacea but I don't know. Looking at this new rash on the rest of my face now, it looks very similar to what was already there on my cheeks. Only this is much angrier looking and itches and stings. But I'm wondering if this is an allergic reaction or did the rocephin bring something else out?
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Did the rash on your face improve when you took a dose of Benedryl?
lost11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lost11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was tempted to try this for my hip pain. After reading the shots were not good for people with Lyme, I passed on the idea. Stretching and holding a position for a good few minutes has helped with the pain. Good luck.
Posts: 267 | From South | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme1987
Member # 35189

Carol in PA - I did not use the benadryl because I thought that one would only use it if the allergic reaction became worse initially. Would it help now even though the rash started Friday night?
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

You won't know unless you try it.

And then you'll be able to tell your doctor if it helped.

lyme1987
Member # 35189

Thanks Carol.

Well we will see what the dr says about treatment for the Lyme now that rocephin is out of the picture. Thank you all you have been a tremendous help and comfort to me

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement