LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » MS or Lyme?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MS or Lyme?
signs9
Member # 37116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for signs9     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been so confused with my husband's symptoms. He doesn't have any pain (I know...lucky him) but he can't see straight, has severe double vision, loses his balance easily, has tinnitus, no appetite (has lost 25 lbs in the last three months)along with crushing fatigue. He says he feels very sick all of the time.

He just sits or sleeps all day and when he can tries to research this illness. So I'm wondering is it MS or Lyme? The reason I question this is because he has no pain...no joint pain, headaches, muscles aches, etc. which is typical for Lyme.

I also want to mention however that he was diagnosed with Lyme 7 years ago with a very stiff and swollen knee. He couldn't walk and worked from home for a month. He took doxy for several weeks then seemed fine.

He never had any other symptoms until this past Thanksgiving. It stated with the double vision and got progressively bad over the winter. He's been on several oral antibiotics over the last few months without much relief.

My husband also foolishly has spent countless hours in the woods with very little protection...for years!! He would take our dog for long walks each weekend off trail in the local state park.

We also have a wooded area near our home where he would take the dog for long walks week day mornings before work. So it would seem impossible for him to have avoided getting Lyme!

His blood tests have come back positive for Lyme (could this be from the earlier Lyme?) His MRI shows multiple lesions on his brain. However his spinal was negative and as a result we were told that the insurance co won't pay for IV antibiotics.

I wonder what the cost of IV antibiotics are out of pocket? This scares me....

I wish we could just wake of from this horrible nightmare!

Posts: 34 | From Bucks County, Pa | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdp710
Member # 34017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jdp710     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget to look into mold as well.
Posts: 52 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Signs, it definitely sounds like Lyme to me. If he has past DX of Lyme and was walking the dog in the woods daily, he is high risk!

Symptoms can present very differently from one person to the next. Before my dx, I did not have the debilitating fatigue that so many talk about yet I lost hearing and had migrating joint pain, brain fog and buzzing sensations prior to my diagnosis. I have the fatigue now!

It is unclear if you have contacted a LLMD, but if not, I would get him to one ASAP.

Even oral ABX will help your husband - as testified by many on this site. It is also possible that your insurance co. will authorize IV ABX if over time, the orals are not helping him. Each case is different, so don't give up.

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Others may want to chime in on this, but I believe that a brain spect scan can show abnormalities typical of neuro-Lyme, as opposed to MS.
Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signs9
Member # 37116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for signs9     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hadn't thought of mold......something else to consider.

I do believe he's high risk for Lyme!! He was on Doxycycline, Amoxicillin and at least one other oral which I can't recall the name of the last few months. Each time he would take something new it would help for a day or so but that was it. I do feel that if it is in fact Lyme he should be on IV antibiotics.

He's seen a LLMD. I'm not sure how good he is but everything seems to move at an excruciatingly slow pace. (He's currently on vacation)as well as several other non LLMD docs. I'm looking for more LLMDs.

I wish I could get him to an LLMD ASAP however appointments are so far out. We did make an appointment with someone in NJ (a Dr. RR) but he won't get to see him until 5/30....hoping for a cancellation.

Have been wondering what to expect financially for the IV antibiotics? What do they tend to cost a month?

Posts: 34 | From Bucks County, Pa | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erikjh1972
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erikjh1972     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
he had lyme 7 years ago??? on doxy for a couple weeks??? sounds like the lyme "came back" no doubt.

--------------------
3 months Doxy
8 months of Tetra
7 months of Biaxin/Plaq.
4 months Doxy/Biaxin/Plaq.
5 months Biaxin/Plaq.
Back on Doxy/Biax/Plaq
On the road to recovery.
Trying to make people Lyme Aware.......

Posts: 289 | From R.I. | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signs9
Member # 37116

I didn't realize that brain lesions look different for Lyme as opposed to MS. Our non-LLMD doc never mentioned this but only he has multiple lesions scattered over his brain.
signs9
Member # 37116

"he had lyme 7 years ago??? on doxy for a couple weeks??? sounds like the lyme "came back" no doubt."

This is what I keep thinking and I wouldn't be surprised if he has a new infection as well!

Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme and company, i.e. babesia. Unfortunately, your husband needs to change his ways (walking where ticks live) or he is just going to get worse. He needs to get to an LLMD, and get on orals.

Others on this website have gotten well just on orals, even people who have had lyme 10 years. It sounds like he just kept re infecting himself (increasing bacterial/parasite load), which makes it worse.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aperture
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aperture         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a misconception that all Lyme patients have pain. Lyme affects different people in different ways.

Read "Cure Unknown". In it, she describes one boy's main symptom as a seemingly unending need to sleep.

--------------------
aperture

Posts: 551 | From Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pain was not one of hubby's symptoms for at least the first 8 or 9 years he was sick. His main symptoms were nausea/vomiting/dry heaves and Parkinsonian tremor/myoclonus/dystonia and seizure-like episodes.

I would also advise a brain SPECT scan -- really needs to be done at Columbia Presbyterian University in New York.

Hubby has the lesions on his brain -- a very comon symptom for neuro lyme. The lesions generally look the same with MS and lyme.

The brain SPECT scan might be enough to get insurance to pay for at least 28 days of IV antibiotics. The SPECT scan shows blood flow to the brain which is reduced if you have brain inflammation.

Based on your description of symptoms I think there is also a high probability of babesia as well as lyme.

You might be able to get into a neuro opthalmologist quicker than an LLMD -- there are a few that are lyme literate. Post in seeking for a name.

Good luck and do not give up.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't have pain the 10 years I went undiagnosed with lyme disease and 2 coinfections.

My main symptoms were extreme muscle weakness (couldn't stand for more than a minute, hold a phone to my head for more than 30 seconds, hold my mouth open to have my teeth cleaned, etc.), horrendous fatigue, couldn't sleep, and then a false menopause.

I also felt sick all the time and lost weight.

So, pain is not a prerequisite. There are hundreds of lyme symptoms and some include pain and some don't.

Here is a quote for you:

"Undertreated infections will inevitably resurface, usually as chronic Lyme, with its tremendous problems of morbidity and difficulty with diagnosis and treatment and high cost in every sense of the word." (page 3)

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You write:

* "His blood tests have come back positive for Lyme (could this be from the earlier Lyme?)"

Earlier lyme was never properly treated. It is STILL lyme. Perhaps other tick-borne infections, too.

* "His MRI shows multiple lesions on his brain."

Yes, can happen with lyme.

* "However his spinal was negative"

Spinal taps (lumbar punctures) are NEVER a good test for lyme, although many IDSA doctors require one to confirm testing. It is wrong 99% of the time - for lyme.

* "and as a result we were told that the insurance co won't pay for IV antibiotics."

I am so sorry about this. They likely might have only paid for one month's treatment, anyway.

It's a terrible situation, I know. I hope there is somehow he can find a proper doctor.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Google: Borreliosis, vision

and

Bartonella, vision

Several good links here that do not show up at PubMed.

-------------------------

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Borreliosis%2C%20vision

PubMed Search of medical literature:

Borreliosis, vision - 32 abstracts

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Bartonella%2C%20vision

Bartonella, vision - 30

-------------

Many with lyme also have bartonella. If tested for that and positive, he may be able to get insurance coverage from that aspect.

=============================

With his tests, symptoms, past diagnosis, it's very clear lyme is, indeed, involved here.

MS is often really lyme - or other chronic stealth infection such as Cpn.

Discussion here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/3/29705?#000001

Topic: MS and Lyme

==========================

He does not need another lyme test, however, he should be assessed for other tick-borne infections.
-------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=015508;p=0

Diagnosing Lyme Disease (and/or whatever else it might be)

===========================

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=013239;p=0

(What ILADS is) . . . WHY you need an ILADS-educated, Lyme Literate Doctor
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Signs9:

Your husband's story sounds EXACTLY like mine. I had double vision, dizziness, tinnitus, lost 25 pounds, etc, etc. I'm a male, 6' in my 30's. I NEVER had pain of joint issues of any kind. Period.

It is LYME not MS. MS doesn't do this. RUN to an LLMD as soon as you can.

I also had two small spots on my brain MRI and a highly abnormal brain SPECT. My non-LL Neuro at the time wanted to do a Spinal Tap and I refused since I know they are often negative for lyme. (and then they can be used against you.)

I've only treated with orals (and now IM Bicillin) but I want you to know that I'm 90% back to my old self. The major symptoms are gone.

Find an LLMD if you want to get your husband well.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Came BACK? It never left.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signs9
Member # 37116

Thank for all of your helpful replies!! We've been doing a lot of reading over the last several days and have been trying to get an appointment with a good LLMD.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement