LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How can I tell the difference between Babesia and Menopause?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How can I tell the difference between Babesia and Menopause?
Tracy9
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can I tell the difference between Babesia and Menopause? I hate to sound like an old lady, but I know hot flashes can occur at my age. I am defiinitely struggling with heat intolerance, sweating that just comes on any time of day or night and makes me feel like I want to kill someone, night sweats, feeling hot one minute and cold the next, and sometimes I'm fine. I decided to bite the bullet and start Malarone today, I've been holding onto it for some time because I didn't want to add another med.

In the past, Babesia has presented for me as soaking night sweats, nighttime fevers, and fatigue. Since the symptoms I am having now are not exactly the same, I have held off on treating. I am starting to wake up with soaking sweats though. Can a coinfection have different symptoms when it recurs? The last couple times it has recurred I could tell without fail. Now I'm confused.

I'd actually prefer it to be Babs because Malarone works really well for me, and I'd know I could get rid of these sweats in a couple weeks! Could this all be menopause? I hope not!

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tracy9:
Can a coinfection have different symptoms when it recurs? The last couple times it has recurred I could tell without fail. Now I'm confused.

I'd actually prefer it to be Babs because Malarone works really well for me, and I'd know I could get rid of these sweats in a couple weeks! Could this all be menopause? I hope not! [/QB]

I think symptoms could be a bit different when a co-infeciton returns if it was treated and the load was lessened.

I think it could be very hard to decipher between Babs and menopause symptoms. It is definitely not fair to have to deal with both simultaneously!

Since Malarone seems to help you quickly, I think you will have your answer soon now that you started it.

Good luck!

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beths
Member # 18864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beths     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm having the same issue-no night sweats, just burning up at night.

However my period cycle has changed, so I know something hormonal is going on.

Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have babesia duncani, you do not get the drenching sweats. I too was thrown off guard. But if you take bio identical hormones and still have these symptoms, then you know it is not menopausal.
You could have your hormones levels checked.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nefferdun:

But if you take bio identical hormones and still have these symptoms, then you know it is not menopausal.
You could have your hormones levels checked.

-
That was my thinking.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tracy. I'm on malarone now too. My hot flashes started increasing (pre malarone) along with my returning babs symptoms, so I think it's babs generated.

I seem to notice them more at night. I don't know if that's because I'm sitting still (more apt to notice them?), or if there is actually an increase in them at night.

I can tell you that acupuncture really helps lessen these. I recently went on a trip and was without acupuncture for 2 weeks (usually get it every week). I had WAY more hot flashes than I did with my weekly treatment. Ladies, run, don't walk to try it. Acupuncture is worth it.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could tell the difference between the two because my body temp has always been on the warmer side.

A hot flash comes (to me) from the inside. Like a hot pepper explodes and heat spreads outwards then with "dew" sweat.

Babesia is like a flash flood. the flood gates open - on the outside of my body- there are not enough tissues to keep up with the down pour.

hope this helps - everyone probably experiences it differently.

The babesia drenches cause my hair to be wet, face and is very obvious to anyone around me.

joy o joy.

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My fatigue, brain fog, insomnia and extremely frequent intense hot flashes resolved 2 weeks after starting bioidentical hormones.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, Dekorator, sounds nice. I wish I could do those, but my doc told me absolutely no bio identicals (history of cancer in my family).

He said that everyone wants the hormones (even men). I've found that passion flower tea (tastes yucky) helps calm me down, but for now, I've been tolerating the hot/heat flashes and mild sweats at night. I get the hot flashes in the day too.

I've also asked some senior ladies I know about hot flashes. They all told me that they get better in a year or two. I do think mine are babs related too.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickalert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickalert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have your Gynecologist or an MD who understands hormones check your hormone levels to be sure.

Hormones can fluctuate dramatically and can be a huge cause of hot flashes. I too have babesia and it hasn't caused the hot flashes, perimenopause has.

Posts: 911 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, this is confusing. Well if I go by dogsandcats description it's Babs. The sweats will wake me up in the night because it's pouring down my face and the itchiness of the trickling sweat awakens me. Also the sweats in the day are pouring down my face, especially around my neck sweats, the front of my neck just gets drenched, the back....it's so uncomfortable. They are also really sticky yucky sweats, I can't stand it. I feel on fire. I get really grumpy. It happens during the day too. Sometimes it goes on for hours and then I get a little break. It definitely happens with very little exertion.

I used to always be freezing cold. This started with babs, that's for sure. I started the Malarone last night, but I will look into seeing someone for bioidentical hormones. I just know I really can't afford them.

--------------------

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple years ago, True Blue told me that drinking two or three cups of sage tea per day would help the hot flashes.

http://www.iherb.com/Alvita-Teas-Sage-Leaf-24-Tea-Bags-1-02-oz-29-g/6318

Huh, what do you know, it worked.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
betty1939
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for betty1939     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tracy9 -

I wondered about this very same thing about two months ago. I asked my LLMD about this but he never answered this question, so I felt a strong need to figure out what symptoms were menopause, babesia, and which ones were related to hemobartonella and lyme.

I stopped my babs medication for a little while and noticed that I was not seeing much difference in my symptoms of sweats, so I went to my doctor who treats me with bioidentical hormones and had my levels tested which showed way too much estrogen and testosterone in my system. I had my hormones tweaked and will be starting them this week with less estrogen, testosterone.

I think we have to pay attention to our own bodies and be sure what it is that we are supposed to be treating. I read the book "Is it hot in here or is it just me?" and the list of menopausal symptoms in that book is astounding.

--------------------
Lyme IGG/IGM positive 12/08
Babesia Microti IGM positive 12/08
Hemobartonella positive 1/11
mycoplasma 6/11

Posts: 162 | From Ohio | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there is a simple conclusive testn your gyn can do to show menopause

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fflutterby
Member # 28081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fflutterby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tracy, you should get your hormones tested.

I just tested positive for menopause by my LLMD. I am waiting for a call from a compounding pharmacy and will start bioidentical hormones soon.

Hopefully these will work for me. I will keep you posted.

--------------------
Psalm 46 1 God is our refuge and strength

Posts: 1367 | From North Jersey | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tracy -- your med listed included cytomel. Isn't that a thyroid hormone? Probably a good idea to check thyroid levels as well.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Black Cohosh can work quite well for hot flashes/sweats.

klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Thanks everyone. I think I do need to get my thyroid checked. I am on two thyroid meds but don't think it's been checked in a while. The good news is since I've started Malarone, the sweats are a LOT better. I'm still having some hot flashes which I'm pretty sure are menopausal, but not those sweats anymore. I haven't had a period now in 3 months so maybe they have stopped?

--------------------

desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too have been wonder the same thing.

Problem with checking hormones in the perimenopause stage is that they are constantly changing so blood test at 2pm may not accuratly show what the hormones are doing at 10pm -this is what my gyno told me..

My sweats are more like a rubber band snaping inside my body, followe by a warm flush and some mild sweating. Also sometimes like a power surge followed by the flush /sweat.

I do get some night sweats but more like a warm flush and very mild sweating.

For me, I think it is hormones when I get these flushes/sweats but do not feel sick otherwise.

My periods are still like clockwork but I certainly have some very common perimenopause symptoms. Still..very hard to tell..

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mom always said she never knew when she went through menopause. She had a hysterectomy at 46, but her ovaries were left intact.

My only sweats have been related to Babs. My gyn tested my hormone levels 11 years ago when my health was going down the tubes and all the other docs said it was in my head, or they just rolled their eyes at me.

My results came back showing I was NOT in menopause. Several years later my periods finally began to change. First they became shorter and lighter, then there would be a longer time between them.

I had always been as regular as clockwork. I could predict to the day when I would get my next period. Then I couldn't. I had my last period four months before my granddaughter was born.

I have Babs Duncani, but when I went on cryptolepis after be in off Babs meds for a few months I got sweats/hot flashes and I knew it was working.

My LLMD monitors my thyroid levels regularly, but he also is my PCP and basically does everything except orthopedic stuff and my annual gyn check up for me.

When my gyn retires I'm not sure if I'll look for another, or just switch it all to the same doc. I've been with my gyn for almost 34 years now.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AuntyLynn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tracy9 - Glad to hear your drenching sweats have alleviated with the Malarone. Babesia can present very much like malaria, so I am not surprised to hear that you are feeling better.

Menopausal night sweats can be a b---- too, and will often soak nightclothes and hair, so your question was very legitimate - and not easy to answer.

As for your three-month hiatus, the rule of thumb on menopause is that you have not completed the transition until you have not had a period in one full year.

I know gals who went 6-7 mos. and then... surprise!

Posts: 1432 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, if you are on rifampin keep in mind that will mess with your hormones as well as any other meds you are taking. I am currently on rifampin and take estradio. Since starting the rifampin my estradiol is not working.
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annxyzz
Member # 20404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annxyzz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally speaking , my number one babs symptom was SEVERE chills that would come out of nowhere . Terrible chills that gave me goose bumps and made me want a sweater in any weather . I hated those chills . Mine are better now. I think the sweats I have at night are hormonal - the chills are almost gone. Fatigue ? Somewhat better but still lousy .

--------------------
annxyzz

Posts: 1178 | From East Texas | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bethbe1
Member # 37696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bethbe1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK folks... I'm a newbie here. Was bitten by something on my left hand in Feb. 2009. first itching, then burning, then very ugly. Dermatologist thought it was a precancerous something, but i knew it was a bite. Was out on the ground the night i got it. Dog's around... but didn't see what bit me. 2 wks to the day after the bite, I had a high fever. Flu like Sx, every muscle and joint in my body screamed. Sore throat, dry cough, etc. Went to ID doc who put me on Doxy 100 bid for 2 wks. It did no good. Was tested for everything! Even parasites from Africa, as I was there the year before. But I KNOW it was the bite! After the first bout, the fever, rigors, flu Sx returned about every week. then every 2... now, after 3 years, about every couple of months. I've been Dx'd with Fibromyalgia, IBS, other regular stuff, and last week... chronic mono. Test was +, but I never knew I had mono at all. The typical Sx that ya'll have had. Recently my balance is way off. Tripped and ripped my knee last week. Weird. I don't have hot flashes anymore (58), but I can not handle heat at all. My hair stays soaked in back. Sweat pours from my face and neck. some night sweats, but they've gotten a bit better (sheets aren't soaked now). The fatigue is massive. When the fevers come, I'm out of commission for about a week. I think the worst for me now, or most obvious, is the sweating. Had wondered for a couple of years why my knees started hurting. Had cortizone in L knee to attempt to get rid of pain and inflammation. SED rate can be up or normal. Makes no difference of the Sx. As I've been reading, I'm just sure I have Lyme. Was pretty sure of that 3 years ago. Now it's becoming obvious to me. Looking for a specialist in Lyme as I type. I'm lost as to the use of Melarone. I was negative for Malaria x 3. But, if it helps the sweats, I'm all for the nasty dreams! (Took Melarone while in Africa) yuck. AND I can't think anymore, obviously! Scattered, can't think of easy words. Fogged out. Scared... HELP! This RN is lost!
Posts: 1 | From Jackson, TN | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Bethbel, sorry you had to find us but welcome.

If you could, click on the pencil icon on your post and break up the type. Many here have a hard time reading posts that have no spaces between sentences.

To me, many of your symptoms sound like the co-infection Babesiosis. It is similar to malaria and is treated with a combination anti-malarial and antibiotic. It can cause fevers, rigors, sweating including night sweats, feeling off balance, fatigue, muscle pain, shortness of breath, headaches, heart palpitations.

It is very important to see a knowledgeable doctor and be evaluated for Lyme and all the co-infections.

I suggest posting in "Seeking A Doctor" for your area.

Hang in there okay? Good help is available.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement