LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » New 'safe' blood test from Boulder Diagnostics

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New 'safe' blood test from Boulder Diagnostics
Guido
Member # 22822

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Guido   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone heard about the new immunoassay that Boulder Diagnostics announced in January?

http://boulderdiagnostics.com/wp/spirofind-product/

They claim that 'the SpiroFind test can differentiate between active and past infection'.

Ho hum, whatdayaknow? [Wink]

Does anyone have any details about that?

Greetings from Germany,
Guido

--------------------
"There's something rotten in the state of Denmark; though this be madness, yet there's method in't." - Hamlet (almost [Wink] )

Posts: 99 | From Koblenz, Germany | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guido,

Looks like this test may only be available in Europe currently.

I suggest posting on LymeNetEurope forum -- they may have more info.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guido
Member # 22822

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Guido   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seibertneurolyme:
.... Looks like this test may only be available in Europe currently. ....

Well, the info that Boulder gives is the same for the USA as well as for Europe: "SpiroFind will soon be available."

But my point is not so much the availability, but more just further scientific information. Judging from the net, the project ist pretty much 'top secret' at the time.

However, I thought that US LLMDs might have heard about it .... ?

Anyway, I am sceptical, because the test naturally is only an indirect method. It reminds very much of the LTT. So he who doesn't want to believe it, won't believe it, I'm afraid.

Anyway, the idea is just perfect: someone discovers that a reliable diagnostic test for Lyme could make an awful lot of money. And so, all the religiuos warfare is brought to an end. But that, of course, requires that the test is really reliable.

Best regards,
Guido

--------------------
"There's something rotten in the state of Denmark; though this be madness, yet there's method in't." - Hamlet (almost [Wink] )

Posts: 99 | From Koblenz, Germany | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guido
Member # 22822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Guido   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anything new in the grapevine?

Of course, it might also be a conspiracy: if Steere is behind it, we are all going to be tested 'perfectly healthy'. But fortunately, this is only ONE possibility! [Wink]

--------------------

Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When they can come up with what it looks like at 3:08 then they can say they have something worth your money.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yOno_2m_8LY

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guido
Member # 22822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Guido   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now what does that mean? I can't really seem to get the picture .... (?)

--------------------

poppy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like it might have something to do with what is described in this free article:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21998742

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guido
Member # 22822

It seems that the test is now already available in Germany. I will post here when I know more!

Best regards,
Guido

--------------------

Guido
Member # 22822

By the way: it seems very intersting that Boulder introduces the test in Europe first. They deliberately opened their first subsidiary on European ground for 'SpiroFind'. Isn't that remarkable?

Are there people woh don't like the test in the USA? Huh? Interesting, I think ....

Best regards,
Guido

--------------------

Guido
Member # 22822

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Guido   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So it IS available by now here in Germany for 180,- Euro (US-$220.- TODAY, tomorrow, it will only be 210! [Wink] ).

However, they did not yet publish any clinical trials, nor did they give any further information about what cell reaction the test shows. Here is a text from the Radboud Universitiy (Nijmegen, Netherlands) who developed the test in cooperation with Boulder and the CDC:
http://www.ru.nl/@841726/nijmeegse/

I don't know if ANYONE here can read this, for us Germans it is not so difficult .... [Wink] Anyway, they say, it is a test if certain "defense cell" fought on Bb lately (similar to the LTT).

But they did not reveal yet WHICH defense cells are in focus. [Roll Eyes]

Best regards,
Guido

--------------------

poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if the CDC is involved with this test, I will be suspicious. What gave you that idea? All of the authors of the article are Dutch.

And it would be very surprising if this deviated from their gospel of two step process. The 2011 PLOS article is saying this applies to the early inflammatory response. So, is this going to work for chronic lyme? They claim that it does. If the sickest people do not produce antibodies, that means the immune system is not functioning right. If that is the case, will anything work which is measuring immune system response?

This study indicates a dominant role for TLR1/TLR2 heterodimers in the induction of the early inflammatory response by Borrelia spirochetes in humans.

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guido
Member # 22822

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Guido   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by poppy:
Well, if the CDC is involved with this test, I will be suspicious. What gave you that idea? All of the authors of the article are Dutch. ....

I read that in an article in German, I can't remember where. Anyway, the CDC is also mentioned in the dutch article above, though I cannot translate the exact meaning.

However, it is too early to speculate about the test. Your link above suggests that a reaction of the innate immune system is tested, and this has nothing to do with antibodies. Anyway, there has to be SOME immune reaction, because otherwise you would not be sick.

But as I said above: "Of course, it might also be a conspiracy: if Steere is behind it, we are all going to be tested 'perfectly healthy'. But fortunately, this is only ONE possibility! [Wink] "

Best reargds,
Guido

--------------------

poppy
Member # 5355

Well, I guess we don't really know what the CDC has to do with this new test, if anything.

Innate or antibody, it is still the immune system, and we know there is a problem when an infection can become chronic.

Guido
Member # 22822

We still don't know plain nothing about the test, so I guess, time will tell. Anyway, it remains odd that they still don't have published any more info.

I guess I have to get into a clinical trial! [Wink]

Best regards,
Guido

--------------------

Guido
Member # 22822

In a new information for doctors that they are posting via e-mail (sorry: it's only in German) they say that the test is aiming at cytokines. Now that REALLY sounds interesting, because antibodies or not: cytokines are supposed to cause the inflammation and thereby the symptoms.

Best regards,
Guido

P.S.: If all works out fine, I can do the test for free in a few days within a clinical trial. Pretty swell, ain't it? [Wink]

--------------------

Guido
Member # 22822

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Guido   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
.... I guess I have to get into a clinical trial! ....
.... and I did: yesterday, my bloody blood was picked up by TNT for Boulder Europe to perform a SpiroFind. Everything's for free, now ain't that cool? I will get the result next week. Of course, I will keep you informed!

But I will eat my hat, and hell will freeze over if this is not positive! [Wink] I think I am relative severely sick and since 5 years, I have antibodies galore in at least 5 different laboratories.

And how do you call the test for Lymphocyte activation against Bb in English? I could not find this on the net. (We call it LTT for "Lymphocyte Transformation Test"; this is what I was referring to above.) Anyway, that is also very positive in me everytime, naturally.

Best regards,
Guido

--------------------

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck with this. Let us know how it goes. Bb is just part of the picture, though.
Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guido
Member # 22822

Against all odds, my result is "negative". I was so sure .... But then again, they first sent my result to another doctor (sending my doctor no result at all). So it can't be eliminated completely that they didn't exchange something else.

Some people are positive, though. And at least, I know now a bit more about how the test works. They make up a cell culture (after isolating the monocytes from the blood). Then they give "Bb stuff" into the cell culture, testing at four different concentrations how the monocytes react.

The main focus is on how much Interleukin-1 beta is released by the monocytes. Interferon-Gamma and TLR-2 are also measured. So the cytokines itself are not specific at all for Bb.

My impression for now is that the test is pretty specific but may not be very sensitive. It seems like the PCR or cerebrospinal fluid testing: it's "great" if it's positive, but no one can tell what's going on if it's negative.

Best regards,
Guido

--------------------

poppy
Member # 5355

OK, when do you eat your hat, as you promised?
Guido
Member # 22822

I don't even own a hat, that was my backdoor, now I can tell you! [Wink]

And I still believe they interchanged the results (or even the blood itself). They sent my result to the wrong doctor, as I said, so they must have interchanged something else! [Wink] But I guess I will never know ....

--------------------

poppy
Member # 5355

We just need to stop thinking any test will catch all cases. Once you know how a test works, it explains what kind of accuracy it might achieve.

Sorry you didn't get your positive. Maybe they did mix it up with someone else's.

Guido
Member # 22822

quote:
We just need to stop thinking any test will catch all cases. ....

Yes, that's right! We will just have to see if enough peolpe are catched. Still, they don't seem to have published ANYTHING. Beside the confusion about my result, they are making an odd sort of clinical trial. They didn't ask me ANYTHING (nor did they wanted to see me, of course), as was with all participants I heard of. Then they said, one should not take ABx, but that was a little too late.

Yes, thanks: in fact I was really disappointed first. But then again: If I HAD a positive result, no one would believe it anyway. At least, my trusted GP still believes me, and that is most important!

Best regards,
Guido

--------------------

Guido
Member # 22822

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Guido   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
We just need to stop thinking any test will catch all cases. ....

One should put it differently: no blood test is 100 % safe and reliable. It will either be not sensitive enough or too sensitive. So their marketing is complete horse-sh*t.

--------------------

Guido
Member # 22822

quote:
Originally posted by Guido:
One should put it differently: ....

I shut put it yet completely different: in this case, they can adjust the sensitivity completely ad lib by defining the thresholds, because anyone's monocytes will produce cytokines when exposed to "bacteria stuff".

For example, the threshold for Interleukin is 2.800 pg/ml (at MOI 2.0). And no one with a normal immune system has plain "0".

And that just seems the difficulty to me: how will they adjust the threshold if you are unable to tell reliably who is sick and who is not?

Best regards,
Guido

--------------------

Guido
Member # 22822

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Guido   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
.... but here comes the "bullett": when you are tested really positive, they suggest an AB therapy of no less than 3 months, suggesting up to 6 g ceftriaxone (!) or 300 mg Minocyclin (!) per day.

So that means their test already revealed that AB therapy isn't always as easy as the IDSA thinks. Isn't that something?!? I am really confident now that the test will change something.

Best regards,
Guido

--------------------

Guido
Member # 22822

From now on, the test is commercially available in Germany.

-> "SpiroFind Lyme Disease Diagnostic Test is Now Available in Europe":

http://boulderdiagnostics.com/wp/our-spirofind-lyme-disease-diagnostic-test-is-now-available-in-europe/

http://www.denverpost.com/coloradocorporatestatements/ci_21963429/boulder-diagnostics-announces-european-market-launch-its-spirofind

They say: "The effectiveness of the SpiroFind test was confirmed in a clinical study at the Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, which is submitted for peer-reviewed publication and for presentation at the ECCMID conference in Berlin, Germany in April, 2013."

We will see ....

Best regards,
Guido

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement