LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone ever taken doxycycline and flagyl together

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone ever taken doxycycline and flagyl together
Maya12
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 36392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maya12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My llmd put me on dozy at 400 Mgs per day as well as flagyl 500 Mgs per day 2 weeks on 2 weeks off aswell as a bunch of other meds but I am concerned cause I thought the doxy made the flagyl inneffective. These are both for 3 months. Has anyone ever been on this combo. I am concerned if this was a bad choice . Is this combo normal what do I do
Posts: 1632 | From Canada | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maya12
Member # 36392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maya12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone know about this combo?
Posts: 1632 | From Canada | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maya12
Member # 36392

Can anyone give me any insight on this one
trubeee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trubeee         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I may be mistaken but I thought you generally took Flagyl with a macrolide like Biaxin or Zithromax. Maybe someone could chime in.
Posts: 195 | From - | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fourwinds
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14114

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fourwinds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on 100 mg of Doxy BID, plus azith, and pulsed the TindaMax (1 gram/day, 1 week/month)... this was before I knew I had Lyme and co's and I was treating C. Pneumoniae. I was under-treated for 4.5 years!

I am of the opinion that since you are on 400 mg of Doxy per day, you're not "under-treating", but have no idea why this particular combination....

I am guessing the doxy is going after the spirochete? (or is it the cell-wall deficient?) form and the Flagyl the cyst...

Posts: 396 | From EAPennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooldog71
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pooldog71     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Doxy, Flagyl and Rifampin, as ordered by my

LLMD. I have been on this combo for 2 months and it

has not been very pleasant. Bad headaches

(not migraines), pain in the neck, feet, hands,

and knees...I have no knowledge of any meds conflict

Posts: 164 | From California | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gigimac
Member # 33353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gigimac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My llmd gave me doxy and flagyl and I also know of others who have taken this combo as well.

I think fourwinds is right, the doxy should kill the cell wall deficient form and flagyl will kill cyst form.

I would think this is a normal combo and possibly a good starting point but that is just my opinion.

Posts: 1534 | From Greensboro NC | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gigimac
Member # 33353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gigimac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never heard that doxy makes flagyl ineffective.
Posts: 1534 | From Greensboro NC | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maya12
Member # 36392

I am also on clarithromycin , planquanil and nystatin as a start is the clarithromycin a form of biaxin? Thanks for the help
trubeee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trubeee         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maya12, clarithromycin is the generic form of Biaxin which is the brand name. Wow-that's a lot of meds.. and you're still standing?? [Smile]

I agree w/ others, I doubt there's any problem w/ doxy + flagyl, where did you read/hear that?

Posts: 195 | From - | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maya12
Member # 36392

It is in barassanos guide that it might cause the innefectiveness of flagyl from the doxy but then dr sapi says it is the best combo for biofilms and I haven't started anyone of the meds yet and am really concerned how I will feel on them
Larae30
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larae30     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's typical to be on a med regimin like doxy, zith and flagyl, so it is attacking all forms of the lyme bacteria. I am on all 3 and more.

--------------------
Treating lyme, bart and babs

Posts: 506 | From NE | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlcd1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlcd1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a lot to start all together. If it was me, I wouldn't start everything at once. In case your allergic to something you want to know which one is causing it.

I also took flagyl and doxy together but then stopped the flagyl because it gave me yeast issues. I liked tindamax better.

Posts: 908 | From Albany | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larae30
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larae30     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh yeah, don't start them all at once! I waited to start flagyl for a month or two.

--------------------
Treating lyme, bart and babs

Posts: 506 | From NE | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
In19944
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for In19944     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i did it for 6 months. rough time when i flagyl pulsed but it sure lets you know it's doing something
Posts: 184 | From taking pills | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maya12
Member # 36392

Thanks everyone and what does the flagyl do does it cause a huge herx? Do you eventually start feeling better on it? And I am not starting all at once I will gradually be adding things in over a 15 day time. Hopefully because I am on both sugar and yeast free diet and nystatin that will help with the yeast . Also the llmd said they were going to start hitting the lyme and Bart first and in three months start hitting the babs
Maya12
Member # 36392

Ok so the meds I am starting On include nystatin , planquinel, flagyl, doxy and clarIthromycin , what exactly would my llmd be targeting with these meds? Any ideas?
Maya12
Member # 36392

Ok so the meds I am starting On include nystatin , planquinel, flagyl, doxy and clarIthromycin , what exactly would my llmd be targeting with these meds? Any ideas?
Maya12
Member # 36392

I know some of these are for lyme but are they also for Bart and my llmd mentioned about also targeting biofilms? Any ideas?
Maya12
Member # 36392

Anyone?
Maya12
Member # 36392

Could anyone give me some insight on this
jlf2012
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlf2012     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doc said flagyl and doxy should not be taken together.
Posts: 463 | From Sandusky, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jupiter76
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jupiter76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
acording to a study from Dr. S. doxy and flagyl combo was the most effective in treating lyme (in vitro killing of all forms of lyme) If you have otehr co infections you should think about special antibiotics for each. Doxy form bart didn�t do much fo me, just a little for example.
I think this is a rough combo to start on. At the beginning I could only tolerate one. Clari on its own gave me huge reactions for several weeks. start with one for a few days, then ad in the next for a few days and so on. If you feel bad, stopp adding another one until this gets better.

Posts: 185 | From Germany | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nula
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maya,

Nystatin hits yeast;

clarithromycin hits lyme, mycoplasma, chlamydia (and probably other stuff as well);

flagyl is used to attack the cystic forms of borrelia (i.e. lyme) and so is plaquenil (to an extent);

doxy hits lyme, erlichia, mycoplasma, some forms of rickettsia and (possibly somewhat) bartonella.

Lots of good meds, but I'm thinking none of these truly hit bartonella (as far as I know), but I would hope your doc has a good treatment plan :-)

--------------------
I appreciate all your replies. If it takes me a while to respond, it is either because I'm too sick or because I am unable to log in. From European servers, Lymenet is very frequently inaccessible for days at a time ...

Posts: 235 | From Europe | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ESG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4816

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ESG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is the combo that worked miracles for me, after a year with Dr. H. in Hyde Park NY - this is the one that did it for me.

Doxy plus Tindamax: cannot say enough good things about this combo, it changed my life after trying so many intense combos under the expert care of Dr. H.

Posts: 424 | From Connecticut, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I understand it, doxycycline, or "doxy", especially at lower levels, will encourage the 'ketes to just "convert" to the L-form to aoid being lysed or killed.

And this 2nd form can convert back to the wild spirochette once the doxycycline is no longer around! Many time-lapse videos of this around.

This is the problem with doxycycline at weaker serum levels. To counter this, many LLMDs also prescribe Flagl... as it attacks the 2nd form, so helps truely knock out the infection.
Another "cyst-buster" (as this med is sometimes referred to as) is Tinidazole.

You can add it in, as my LLMD did, once the initial "herxing" dies down, as it can be tough on the stomach for many.

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement