LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Soccer moms BEWARE

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Soccer moms BEWARE
Lymedin2010
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My niece was just bitten AGAIN. �She was treated by Dr.J and had completed her treatment recently. �This from a family who is Lyme literate and with others in the family who are in remission now.

The kids are not allowed to go on the grass in their own yard or any grass for that matter. �Her father sprayed her with tick spray for their weekly soccer game. �Despite this there was a deer tick attached right above her wrist. �Imagine if it went in her hair.�

I have also heard from recruits In the army who are getting bit in the training camps despite tick spray.

The month after I got sick I forbade my kids from going on the grass and removed them from soccer. �I didn't think it was worth the risk and I am still content with that decision.

Posts: 2087 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh, that's too bad. I hope she's ok.

So, if you don't let your kids on the grass, where do they play? I thought grass cut short was supposed to be pretty safe? That's the one place in nature I DO let my kids play now. They are of course forbidden from jumping in leaves, crawling around in bushes, tromping around in gardens, etc. And we haven't gone near any woods!

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I know no grass stinks. �We live in a circle and we have a big driveway, so plenty of cement to play around. �

My sister had a tick crawling on her within 20min of me telling her she was crazy for going in the grass and she had Lyme before (remission now). �Needless to say after that day she put in place the no grass rule too. �Exception was soccer where they would be sprayed.

When I first got sick I battled my daughter and wife with the no grass rule. �We live in NY and my daughter had gotten bit twice before and is still undergoing treatment.

One day we were in CT visiting family and at that time I was still in fighting mode for the no grass rule. �After telling my 6 yr old daughter no grass, no grass, no grass the whole day, I got a little mad after she asked me, "how come everyone gets to go on the grass?"

I said to her if you want a tick on you go ahead with anger. �She ran once across the house lawn, then back on the cement edging and back on the grass toward me. �As she was walking toward me I saw a black speck on her dress and asked her to come closer.

Son of a @[email protected] friggin tick in no less than 10-12 seconds and in another state. �I screamed out for my wife and said ahaaaa, see what I mean. �Since that day it's been no grass and I removed my kids from soccer.

My sister-in-law, that we were visiting there in CT, also witnessed this event and I warned them. �Two months later she gets bit at church.

All these events took place in short or relatively short (1 weeks grass cut) grass. �This is no joke and a real epidemic, people just don't listen.

Posts: 2087 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lauralyme
Member # 15021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauralyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow this is absolutely incredible!

--------------------
Fall down seven times, get up eight
~Japanese proverb

Posts: 1146 | From west coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Yup, but it gets worst.

What I have witnessed and heard of locally, just within one year, is incredible. Those are not even a quarter of my stories. From family members, to friends and local community members.

It's even harder to comprehend that this had been around me all the time. All I had to do was look and ask, instead I was very ignorant. With what I know now it truly feels I am living in the twilight zone.

I will do a complete write up at one point. I think it is important for people to know the true nature of what we are dealing with.

Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is very frightening, but as a mom to 3 active kids I cannot nor would I keep them from leading active lives. I feel we need to be vigilant about tick checks etc, treating and ptotecting our yard as well as ourselves, but children do need to be able to be children. All 3 of my kids are involved in sports and I could never tell them they could not participate do to the possibility of ticks. What happens when your kids go to friend's houses etc. ?
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am lucky to live in a state where there are no deer ticks. All we have to worry about is the wood ticks which are huge and pretty hard to miss. I have only been bitten by one tick in my whole life and it gave me Lyme Disease.

If I lived in your state, I would move.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those accounts are truly frightening. Maybe it depends on the location? So in a hyperendemic area like Connecticut or parts of NY, going in the grass is just too risky. I would like to think it's ok here in Virginia where we are "just" endemic. I'll keep monitoring it.
Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

No grass anywhere for my family!

My sister WAS "vigilant." �She was the first to get Lyme and was hit badly for 3-4 months and is in remission now. �She checked her kids when they came in from playing in the grass. �One after the other, three of her kids got bit within 2-3 years. �

Her eldest daughter never got bit in this new house, but had gotten bit in a totally different location, in a Staten Island park and in various other locations. �Her only symptom is a skin condition and constant soar throats and ear infections.

Her youngest one was bit 3 times in the past and now the 4th with this soccer incident. �Her symptoms have been, before Dr J treatment, tummy aches, headaches, constant tiredness, darkness around the eyes, and ear infections.

They even check the dog that they bought and find occasional ticks, despite this they found a tick crawling in their house. �They don't allow this dog in the grass either, unless he brushes up against the edge while dog walking or walks through it unintentionally. �It's not as if the dog is rolling in it.

I've heard of reports of a girl on vacation in the Domincan Republic. �A local dog rests it's head on her leg and she notices a tick on her shortly after. �Weeks later she develops symptoms.

A cat owner pets her cat on her lap and then notices a flea shortly after. �She develops symptoms as a result.

Another individual reports removing a barely embedded tick, where he can just flick it off. �He develops symptoms too.

A lab technician is working with ticks and picks one up with a pair of tweezers only to drop it on a halogen lamp. �As a result the tick completely explodes, because halogen lamps are extremely hot. �He gets a particle in his eye and wipes his eye. �He develops symptoms of Lyme.

My point is that vigilant might be too late already. �We need to start thinking in terms of preventative. �How many times have we heard from others who KNOW about Lyme, were treated and are coming back for help after another bite?

tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My family has been devastated by my illness yet I wouldn't dream of not letting my daughter be a kid. She is in soccer and loving it.

It is bad for the immune system and for mental health to withold outdoor activity. I check her constantly for ticks. I am about 5 years since diagnosis and suffered for a long time before that as well and am still quite sick.

I have just recently gotten to this mindset about having to let go a little and try to live a somewhat normal life. Am I scared? Yes! As a matter of fact I've been rebitten a couple of times but we cannot live in a bubble!

How do your kids feel about being pulled out of soccer? My family resents me enough already for what my illness has done to our family. I cannot enforce a no grass rule. We do frequent tick checks and stay out of tall grass and brush.

I am also in search of a good natural tick repellant. I have one but it smells horrific. My LLMD sells one. I may try that.

Last weekend we went for a hike in VT to an amazing waterfall. I haven't walked that far in years and I was shocked that I was able to pull it off. I was aprehensive to do it but it is now an amazing memory and a wonderful day that I shared with my family that I will treasure forever. No ticks by the way.

In February we went to the Cape for 1 overnight. We also had a great time and I wouldn't trade it for anything, despite coming home to find an attached tick on my leg. I did treat for it.

Although, I might be singing a different tune if I was suffering more as a result of that bite than I already do. That being said, you can't wait till the end of the day to do a tick check like I did after being outdoors. It is necessary to check several times a day.

Sorry for rambling. I'm not judging anyone who chooses to keep their kids out of the grass. I was there at one point too but psychologically it is not healthy for the kiddos. I don't want to teach my daughter to be scared of grass. I have taught her to be scared of brush but I have to draw the line somewhere.

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

You are not rambling and are correct in your own way. �I know, it is a shame, but we are living in a different time now. �In SIX houses that are RIGHT NEXT DOOR to me, there are 16 people who got bit and some multiple times.

In November I just heard of a baby in her carrier that had a tick on her face and who lives around the block. �God only knows about the rest of the development.

Every single cat and dog from this place has had multiple ticks. �In essence we are part of the problem, and it is not going to get any better. �Only worst.....an epidemic of true proportions!

We lead very happy lives and also have outdoor activities. �We still go to the pool on decks and cement. �To the lake with piers, cement, and fishing on boats. �I could never give up fishing. �Bowling, tennis, indoor volleyball, gymnastics, and karate are all a part of their lives.
To the local park with cement walkways around the lake and we are still vigilant.

I hear you about not thinking you are able to do something. �We just got back in April from Florida and visited every theme park. �Magical Kingdom, Wild Kingdom, Epcot, Seaworld, mini-golf, Aquatica, Universal, the pools. �Very memorable and fulfilling. �Shocked that I was able to do it and I needed plenty of pit stops and breaks.

In essence you don't have to eliminate activity. �"it is not healthy for the kiddos" is giving them a chance to get bit and living the HELL that is Lyme disease. �At the end of the day there is no right or wrong, only opinion.

jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can certainly understand the hesitation of letting the kids play in the grass. It's getting pretty bad where I live. We spray the yard and use tick tubes.

Next up is a tick trap. We are going to set them up all over the yard to catch as many as we can. That should be interesting.

We use DEET when we go hiking in the local mountains. I recently ordered some bug spray from Dr.Mercola and hope that the natural ingredients are just as effective.

Always good to increase Vitamin B intake with prolonged outside exposure, i.e. camping trips. B100 once a day, starting 5 days in advance.

Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another thing...I never go out during mosquito feeding time. Just not worth it.
Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annelet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annelet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you describe the Tick Trap, please, Jackie.........and what do you do with the ticks you catch?
Posts: 250 | From canada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

I got hit bad last year with Mosquitos during the "bad" hours and may even avoid that time too now, considering I am feeling worst.

In just a small fraction of a drop of my blood, not even close to the whole drop I find so many things floating around. �The Mosquitos here can be very aggressive and here I am with others outside swatting these viscous biters that just are relentless in their attack.

If a mosquito bites me and then the next person, they have a good chance of catching what I have. �Maybe not the full cocktail, but enough to ultimately get them sick. �I can easily see why whole families are coming down with this.

I too am interested in the tick traps, any information? �I dreamt up of a tick catcher myself. �It involves using my sons radio controlled car, attaching 2x 1 liter bottles to it. �Fill bottles with 99-100deg water to mimic heat radiation from an animal and cover with felt. �Provide some loose felt to sweep the grass. �Calling it the DOGGY TICKLER 2000.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement