LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Daughter with Lyme? Thoughts?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Daughter with Lyme? Thoughts?
TSTinaP
Member # 22927

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TSTinaP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't been out here in a while, as my own Lyme has been under control and I've adapted to a somewhat better quality of life since my first initial battle.

However, my 13-yo daughter has been very out-of-sorts this spring and I'm wondering if her symptoms could be Lyme. She has had abdominal pain for over 6 weeks so far, sensitive in the appendix area as well as small intestine area. Dr ran blood work - all normal - but is leaning towards CT scan next and checking out appendix as well as looking for Crohns. I'm not sure I want to go that route, either.

She had one 'cold' after another for the past two months. Seems to be recovering, but only feels good for a few days, then is sick again. Knees hurt most of the time (though she's grown taller quickly and has PT exercises to tighten up her tendons), and has had aching hips. Just uncertain how much is growing pains, and how much might be tick related.

Temp has been up and down through all these last 6-8 weeks - normal up to about 102. Achy and miserable, trouble concentrating. Her symptoms have some similarity to my initial ones, but the abdominal pain is her biggest complaint, and that is very new to me. Could this be Lyme or another tick related disease? Thoughts please??

Am waiting today to hear back from the Dr to see if she will authorize a Lyme blood draw for Igenex. Our clinic administration doesn't like them or believe they are any different/better than their own lab, but she o'kayed it for me in the past (was my expense anyway!), so I'm hoping she will again.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Also, any suggested questions for me to ask either daughter or doctor would be helpful, too! Oh yeah...we live in rural Wisconsin in a hotbed of ticks.

Thank you! You are an amazing resource and I have referred MANY friends and acquaintences here when they have been diagnosed!

Posts: 13 | From Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lorima
Member # 11925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lorima     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like Lyme to me, too.

Definitely get Igenex IgM and IgG western blots. Too bad your clinic doesn't understand.

But hooray for your doctor, for okaying it, and hooray for you, for understanding that it's worth paying for!

I'm sure you know, the sooner treatment starts, the better, if it's Lyme.

Best wishes for fast diagnosis and full recovery.

Posts: 74 | From MA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickofsick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29258

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickofsick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 13 yr old daughter has Lyme [Frown] Also clinical diagnosis for bartonella, and positive tests for Q Fever, and FL1953

Her constant symptom has been abdominal pain and nausea, for 1 1/2 years straight! I think that is more common in kids.

So, yes, that coupled with other symptoms, sounds like Lyme. You are familiar with testing and also the unreliability of it, but I would get her tested.

Posts: 312 | From Utah | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymedin2010
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's also my 6yr old daughters symptom. She would often say, "my tummy hurts."

She also experiences headaches and foot pain. Best ABX so far has been liquid Zithro. She did not complain about anything while on it for a week.

Posts: 2087 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TSTinaP
Member # 22927

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TSTinaP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you! The closest I'd found in the symptom lists for children said it could manifest as acute appendicitis. Hers is like an appendicitis that won't really develop and go anywhere - it waxes and wanes in its intensity - just like every other Lyme symptom does!

Just spoke with the Dr and it sounds like she will sign the Igenex form to authorize the blood work. She can't send something to them directly through the clinic system, but if I am chosing them and providing the kit, she sees no reason she can't sign and authorize it. YAY!

Posts: 13 | From Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
t9im
Member # 25489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for t9im   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi TSTina:

I don't want to jump to the Lyme conclusion but I sent the e mail below to a friend who's daugher had been ill with stomach issues for 3 years. We here know the WB is not definative, even from Igenex. The daugher Lauren is now on a LLMD wait list. as she now thinks she has lyme as this girls symptoms match hers.

I came across this girl�s videos where she ended up having the Lyme borreliosis bacteria. It started out as stomach issues (LB has been known to impact the intestinal nerves).

It is in 6 parts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RZOas4j4So&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGEdpzJVq7E&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6htt2bByNkY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IgwOTZmzig&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DmuKoY7wK0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P70q7SgRXk&feature=related

--------------------
Tim

Posts: 1111 | From Glastonbury, CT | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TSTinaP
Member # 22927

Thank you for the additional info. I'll watch them at home this weekend.

I'm hoping Dr will prescribe a round of abx after the blood draw as soon as we receive the kit from Igenex. I know WB's not foolproof, but better than the Elisa they do locally.

She will also be sitting with me when I Rife next time. I went through about 8 months of various abx, and Dr would not prescribe any more. Fortunately my Rife machine arrived about time my last abx ran out. It has been very successful for me to gain back a pretty high quality of life for the past couple years.

t9im
Member # 25489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for t9im   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tina:

I hope your daughter is well soon. Her symptoms don't sound like the ones our daughter started with but we all know it manifests itself in many different ways.

--------------------
Tim

Posts: 1111 | From Glastonbury, CT | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Abdominal pains were also my very first symptom and lasted for years. This constant mild burning, day in and day out.

Besides my daughter, my niece had stomach aces for months. It was one of the first symptoms.

I've heard from quite a few people that this is an early indicator. At times accompanied by nausea, however I did not get that until it spread badly.

Posts: 2087 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manybites
Member # 33750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for manybites         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doughter had the same thing ( when i came out of the hospital) .She was treated only 6 months for bartonella before the episode and now she feels like your daughter.

Lyme in her knee is activated with bartonella ( tendons ) and gut pain the FL1953 bug as well.

She needs to be treated .Her family doctor did gave her only 2 weks of azithromycin.I told her was lyme and bart with FL1953 .But she did not listened.
It is been over 1 year and 1/2 now she is sicker with muscle twithcing in her foot and tingling ( lyme and bart ) in her feet and can not concentrate.

Please put her in treatment.He body aches have increased tremendously since than.She still manages to go to school and work.

Posts: 1379 | From disable | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement