LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Can high fever be part of die-off?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can high fever be part of die-off?
WendyK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18918

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WendyK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started a higher dose of Malerone last night (adding to the rocephin). Middle of the night I got bad chills, then vomited very hard and discovered that I had a fever of 102.5.

Can this be part of a die-off reaction, a reaction to the meds or (even though it feels fine)should I be super concerned about a picc infection? I also have a raging lower back of the head headache, that makes me feel nauseous when I move too much.

Fever went down to 100.5 with tylenol, but I think its starting to creep back up.

Has anyone experienced something like this? I'll be calling the Dr. as soon as they open, but thought I'd post here in the meantime...

--------------------
Wendy

Posts: 253 | From Near Albany, NY | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please monitor your temperature closely. It is good that the tylenol brought it down (advil would really be a better choice though). Anything above 100 or 100.5 is cause for concern in an adult.

As you know there are several possibilities.

Babesia treatment/die-off or PICC line infection are the 2 most obvious assumptions.

But then there is also the possibility that you have another tickborne infection which has come out of hiding and is not responsive to the antibiotics/antimalarials you are taking.

You did not mention it -- are you taking flagyl or tindamax?

If you have no history of fevers with your illness then that somewhat complicates diagnosis.

Hubby ran a fever of 99 to 100.5 pretty much daily last summer for 5 months -- but had 5 high fever spikes that required ER visits and hospitalizations. He had been sick for over 10 years at the time and in treatment for about 7 years.

He ended up having positive tests for ehrlichia and anaplasma (different strains), RMSF and even typhus. Still not exactly sure which of those he has/had. Also tested posiitve 3 times for serratia marcescens (a supposed PICC line infection). But the bacteria was never found in the line and it was replaced 2 different times.

Have you ever been treated with doxycyline?

Hubby's fevers went away for about 7 months but have recently come back. And he has not had a PICC line for the last 7 months.

The meds that worked last summer on his fever (doxycycline and levaquin added to his aggressive babesia protocol) are not working this time so he is very very frustrated.

Please let us know how you are doing.

Bea Seibert

P.S. The nausea and vomiting are normal body reactions to a high fever unfortunately. And they do not always respond well to nausea meds if the fever is due to an infection.

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WendyK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18918

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WendyK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been monitoring very closely - it has stayed at my usual 100.5 all day now, without meds. (I took tylenol because I think the advil I took at 12:30am is what threw me over the edge last night)

Dr. thinks stomach virus that is going around, and it does seem to be following that pattern so far. I have not been able to fathom anything but ginger ale so far though, so I haven't taken my meds or supplements yet today either. Dr. said I can ease back into the Malerone, and we'll see if that's actually the cause then.

Chest and picc area feel fine, whew. They had enough trouble finding a vein that would work for it, that I really don't want them to have to pull it, since I'm not sure I'd be able to get another, and the Rocephin seems to be making the biggest impact so far.

I was on tindamax for a while in Feb/March with my oral cocktail, but I had plateau'd on those and switched over to the Rocephin in April. Just recently added the Malerone. Up until the Rocephin, I had not experienced fevers with any of this, then I started getting the low-grade one daily.

I was treated with the typical doxy back in 2008, and another round last October, before I started seeing my llmd.

So that's where I sit - waiting to be able to actually eat something, and then take my meds and see what happens... I'm thinking another nap right now since a friend has taken the kids to their TKD lessons for a while. Thank goodness.

--------------------
Wendy

Posts: 253 | From Near Albany, NY | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WendyK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18918

This is very interesting. I guess we'll see when I am able to take the next dose (I'm going to start with only half though!).

Just now able to finally try some rice - I don't think I can handle the malerone yet, regardless of whether its the cause of the fever or not. I will probably try it in the morning. I'm keeping up with the Rocephin though - at least I don't have to swallow that!

--------------------
Wendy

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement