LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » White Blood Cell Count

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: White Blood Cell Count
cordor
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cordor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got a call that my white blood cell count is "3". Anyone else have one that low, or is that pretty "normal" for someone with Lyme?

--------------------
Corinne

Posts: 529 | From Raleigh, NC | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickmate
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickmate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine is the same. Was okay before lyme. Think its part of the problem.
Posts: 214 | From Home | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gmb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, pretty common. Both White and Red were in the low range a few months back.

WBC has been fluctuating in and out of range for a while, and Red is usually pretty good. Lowest WBC was 2.8. Both are now just into the normal range.

Don't worry... just watch Liver ALT/AST.

good luck.

gmb

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my white blood cell count went low, my lyme doc put me on Transfer Factor.

In 2 weeks we tested again, and my count was normal. so, the transfer factor enabled me to continue on antibiotics.

My doc said that sometimes once you are on antibiotics for a while, the body senses the antibiotics and decides it doesn't need to make white blood cells anymore since the antibiotics are there. So, that is why the white cell count goes low.

My white count went low a few times after the initial time and so finally my doc had me just stay on Transfer Factor until I completed my treatment.

The TF that I took was made from bovine (cow's) colostrum. I believe the brand was called 4Life or something like that.

This was over 7 years ago, so now there are many different kinds of TF.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickmate
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickmate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any other ways to raise wbc than transfer factor?
Posts: 214 | From Home | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffyFan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BuffyFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
did you feel any better/notice a difference when taking transfer factor?
Posts: 287 | From somewhere | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I didn't feel sick with a low white count, and I didn't feel better with Transfer Factor.

White blood cells fight infection. So, if your white count goes low, you are unable to fight off infections. So, you could get sick if you are around someone who is sick. You could catch every illness that comes along. But, I never noticed it because my doc kept up with all my blood tests.

The doctor cannot just ignore the low white count. It puts the patient in danger.

If the count stays low, the patient has to stop antibiotics. Then, the count will come back up.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cordor
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cordor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not on antibiotics and have not been for a couple of years now.

--------------------
Corinne

Posts: 529 | From Raleigh, NC | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymedin2010
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it's Bartonella, said to invade the WBC's and disable the immune sys.
Posts: 2087 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickmate
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31502

i think low wbc is a key factor for the more severe cases of chronic lyme. but on the other hand i guess a high wbc wont help much when your immune system doesnt even recognize the lyme bacteria.
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is important to monitor blood counts. Major changes in WBC and RBC need to be evaluated.

Frequently a low WBC might indicate another tickborne infection that is not being treated -- ehrlichia, anaplasma and I think most of the other rickettsial diseases can cause low WBC.

And yes bartonella or BLO can cause both low WBC and low RBC.

All of these infections require different meds that may not be used for just lyme.

A low RBC often indicates babesia or possibly anemia from other causes such as low iron, B12 or folic acid.

Totally depends on the doc as to how low the WBC goes as to whether they will stop antibiotics temporarily.

In my personal opinion adaptogenic herbs such as ginseng will not raise a low WBC unless the infection causing it is also being treated. Hubby has tried LDN and many other things, but if his WBC goes low the only thing that seems to help is either levaquin or factive -- but the problem right now is determining if bart is back or if this is just a chronic anaplasma infection.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeMECFSMCS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMECFSMCS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shark liver oil is good for raising WBC count. It has helped me, and my WBC count does keep going low. I learned this from a book on natural remedies for HIV/AIDS, as apparently low WBC count is common in AIDS (maybe from meds? I'm not sure).
Posts: 929 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffyFan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BuffyFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TF where do you order your transfer factor from? How large are the pills? thanks!

my wbc is 2.8 haven't been on antibiotics for a few weeks before testing. :'(

Posts: 287 | From somewhere | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rbm
Member # 33660

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rbm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all- thank you so much for discussing

Low WBC count etc. mine have been low before treatment, and all during (1 year so far). I am thrilled to get some ideas abd share with my doc. I have Lyme, Bart, maybe still babesia. But I can't seem to get WBC count back up to increase abx to attack infections.

I am def going to look into transfer factor.

Best wishes to everyone.

Posts: 31 | From New jersey | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rbm
Member # 33660

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rbm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Low WBC count etc. mine have been low before treatment, and all during (1 year so far). I am thrilled to get some ideas abd share with my doc. I have Lyme, Bart, maybe still babesia. But I can't seem to get WBC count back up to increase abx to attack infections.

Best wishes to everyone.

Posts: 31 | From New jersey | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rbm
Member # 33660

Best wishes to everyone.

TF
Member # 14183

BuffyFan,

this was over 7 years ago. That's how long since I completed my lyme treatment. Yea!!!!

I believe I bought the 4Life Transfer Factor from the Vitamin Shoppe. My doc told me they sold it and they did.

I don't remember the pills being big or anything. Just don't recall.

BuffyFan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34679

oh thanks! I will check into it!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement