LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone ever had worse eye problems while on abx?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone ever had worse eye problems while on abx?
Maya12
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 36392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maya12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am just wondering if anyone has ever experienced a flare in eye symptoms while starting abx, or could this be part of a herx?

It is strange cause my left eye feels pressured and blurry but right eye seems fine. Have some head pressure too and the left side of my face feels a bit droopy and numb. I was only on planquenil for a week and only took one dose of flagyl 5 days ago.

I have had this issue before but it seemed to get worse after the flagyl, but how could only one dose hurt my eye?

Has anyone else experienced eye symptoms flaring while on abx. Am on doxy and clarithromycin for 2 weeks now.

Could this be part of a herx or the abx killing Lyme in my eye and face area?
Also have a headache

Is this at all normal?

Posts: 1632 | From Canada | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maya12
Member # 36392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maya12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone help me?
Posts: 1632 | From Canada | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Yes.

Liver stress can cause all kinds of eye problems. Is your liver support on board?

Getting enough FAT in your diet?

LOTS of FIBER in your diet for good daily bowel movement? Enough WATER? Resting your eyes when needed? Blinking enough?

CORDYCEPS, a medicinal mushroom, can be helpful to the eyes. You can search that at this same site:

=================

From The One Earth Herbal Sourcebook (Tillotson, et.al.)

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/important-herbs/dandelion-root-leaf-taraxacum-officinalis.html

DANDELION ROOT & LEAF (Taraxacum officinalis)

Excerpt:

. . . TCM doctors value dandelion highly, using it to reduce fire in the liver, especially when accompanied by red, swollen eyes. . . .

-----------------------

If you have access to a LL ND (naturopathic doctor), they would know best how to proceed.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Is your magnesium type and dose enough? That can help reduce headaches.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maya12
Member # 36392

Thanks Keebler , so this is likely because I need to detox more and not a side effect of the week of planquenil or one dose of flagyl? I am taking NAC, milk thistle, alpha lipoic acid, lemon water and charcoal with physsilium .

Is there anything else I can do to detox?

Maya12
Member # 36392

My llmd has me on no magnesium for the first three months of treatment
Maya12
Member # 36392

Anyone else have this?
tickssuck
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickssuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Maya,

Well, I don't have suggestions really, but just to say I definitely have eye symptoms; you're not alone. Both eyes, very blurry (sudden onset that hasn't lifted), red & "filmy" (esp when I wake up), watery (maybe dry eyes?), and my visual perception is just "off."

I know this is not caused by any abx, as I'm not on any. I'm really on little to nothing right now as I decide what doc to see next.

Of course, I don't know for sure, but mine definitely FEELS like a brain/neuro issue for me.

Hope things improve for you, sorry you're experiencing this. TS

Posts: 566 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maya12
Member # 36392

Hey ts thanks for the help, I do wonder if this is more of a neuro and herx thing as i also have chills and headache and facial flushing, some nausea and mood is off .

Have you ever had these eye symptoms before while on abx and did they get better.

I have had many eye issues with lyme

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Eye issues - of all kinds - can go along with lyme and along with treatment.

"Dry Eyes" are very common with lyme.

Q: ". . . need to detox more?"

More is not always better.

Something might be missing. Or there may be too much of something else - not just with Rx or supplements but with food, etc.

Or habits - being on the computer for too long is very hard on the eyes, partly (just partly) due to the fact that we tend to not blink as much.

I'm no expert but the NDs I've seen in the past were big on balance - enough but not too much as "more" can be too much, too.

I can't give this any more thought as just too tired. Surely others will be along.

Sea Buckthorn Oil was the best thing for my eyes. I took large doses to help my mouth and my eyes also got better. Otherwise, be sure you have enough fat in your diet. It's very necessary to help prevent dry eyes.

For your FISH OIL, you may want to check out OmegaBrite. Many say that is the best.
-

tickssuck
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickssuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Maya,

Well, I didn't feel like I provided you much help, other than "you're not alone." Keebler, as always, has some good info.

I did have minor eye complaints while on abx, with little to no change, not better, but not worse.

Since discontinuing abx, they've definitely taken a turn for the worse. For me, the catalyst seemed to be infared sauna several months ago. I bought one, used it for 5 days straight. Then ALL of my nuero symptoms flared - absolutely horrible. Over time, everything slowly recovered, except my eye symptoms; they took a big hit during that flare and have not recovered.

Just my experience. TS

Posts: 566 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Maya,

backing up, I assume your LLMD knows about this. Not everything is lyme so you may want to see an eye doctor - and one referred by your LLMD, if possible.

If you can find a LL ND (naturopathic doctor), that would be best for the support choices.

RESTING the EYES is also very important.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
This holistic eye doctor's site and his book are are excellent:

http://eyeadvisory.com/

Book & website: The Eye Care Revolution - by Robert Abel, Jr. M.D. (Ophthalmologist)

----------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/115258?

ASTAXANTHIN - an antioxidant that has great promise for the eyes
-

Maya12
Member # 36392

hi guys i did tell my llmd about this a few weeks ago and it seemed to clear up a bit

she told me it was just part of a herx

i also feel more out of it today and find when herxing my eyres can be off

i will see though about going to the eye doc about this just to make sure

it may also be that my eyes are more light sensative right now

also it does come and go with my headaches and head pressure

i also feel exhausted today
and having constant chills

Maya12
Member # 36392

really though what else could be causing it ? i really hope it isnt the planquenil i have been off it over a week now

could the flagyl have done damage with just one dose?

otherwise i am only on clarithromycin and doxy and didnt think those could cause a problem with eyes

what else could i be low in to cause this ?

i just dont know what to think and now i am freaking out that my eyesight is permenantly messed

Maya12
Member # 36392

I just had a nap too and my eyes seem to be feeling a bit better. I think it is more of a headache than anything else affection my eyes

I do also spend a lot of te on a computer

Maya12
Member # 36392

just wondering too can having a fever be caused by die off? my temp is currently 100.2 but have never had fevers before?
Maya12
Member # 36392

whats wierd too is that i just noticed that i actually have a bulls eye type rash on my shoulder and several red lines on my arm and upper chest.

is this the doxy and clarithromycin hitting the lyme and bart anmd causing these rashes to flare?

is this a good thing?

and doesnt a fever mean that the immune system is fighting back?

no wonder my head has been aching and my vision is a bit off , i always feel out of it with a fever

Maya12
Member # 36392

whats wierd too is that i just noticed that i actually have a bulls eye type rash on my shoulder and several red lines on my arm and upper chest.

is this the doxy and clarithromycin hitting the lyme and bart anmd causing these rashes to flare?

is this a good thing?

no wonder my head has been aching and my vision is a bit off , i always feel out of it with a fever

Maya12
Member # 36392

is this a good thing?

Maya12
Member # 36392

whoops accidentally posted that 3 times
Maya12
Member # 36392

do the rashes mean that bart and lyme are being challenged and coming out ?
Maya12
Member # 36392

i just uppe3d my doxy from 200 to 300mg today and this all started happening
manybites
Member # 33750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for manybites         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fl1953 bug causes eye pain behind the eye.

[ 11-04-2012, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: manybites ]

Posts: 1379 | From disable | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maya12
Member # 36392

hey manybites what enzymes should i take?
Maya12
Member # 36392

thats exactly what i have is the eye pain behind the eyes which makes them hard to focus i am on biaxin and took planquenil for a week but stopped it but obviously with its half life, still have it in my system, could the planq and biaxin be hitting and flaring the fl1953?

is the doxy and biaxin combo hitting both the lyme and bart causing the two diff rashes i have?

i am also on the doxy
will be starting flagyl in about a week but what do i do about the ivermectin, my llmd hasnt prescribed this

wil flagyl and biaxin alone kill fl1953?

i am not ready to go back o the planq yet cause it made me really depressed

Maya12
Member # 36392

very interesting that within the hour of raising my doxy from 200 to 300 mgs which i am assuming is now a bacteriocidal dose that the fever popped and the rashes came out

correct me if i am wrong but i guess this is a good thing

Maya12
Member # 36392

can either ivermectin or flagyl hot the fl1953 or do they have to be combined to hit it?

i think my llmd did mention about the flagyl hitting the frey bug

but why would the eye pressure be flaring now since i havent taken flagyl since last sunday and only one dose?

thanks for the help manybites

would this one dose have hit them and caused them to become more active

jlf2012
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlf2012     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My vision has gotten more blurry since starting enhansa and doxy...I've noticed a big difference. I think it's part of the herx.
Posts: 463 | From Sandusky, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maya12
Member # 36392

really jlf that is interesting , do you have any eye pressure or pain or headaches?
Maya12
Member # 36392

can anyone else tell me what treats fl1953? can flagly treat this?
jlf2012
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlf2012     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I've had headaches too Maya.
Posts: 463 | From Sandusky, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maya12
Member # 36392

Anyone also get ringing in the ears more from a herx ?
desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could not tolerate the Plaq. I got alot of flushing and ringing ears. Mine was not a herx but a sensitivity to something in the med.

Did you have a baseline visual field exam before starting Plaq? Or maybe it is visual acuity exam..either way my LLMD would not let me start Plaq. until I was cleared by my eye doctor and had a basline of my vision.

While on Plaq. this visual exam needs to be done every 6 months to ensure no damage to the eye.

Just my 2cents...

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maya12
Member # 36392

Hey desert , no unfortunately I didnt have an eye exam before starting , but could the planq really hurt my eyes after only one week on it and now off for a week? If it is the planq there is nothing I can do anyways as I have already stopped it.

Can planq continue to damage the eyes even after stopping it?

Maya12
Member # 36392

Anyone
Maya12
Member # 36392

Please help this seems to be getting worse withy eye , what do I do if it is the planq if I already stopped it ? Also can flagyl cause eye problems?
desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be on the safe side why not call your LLMD or see your eye doctor. You only got one set of eyes.

Could be a herx but better safe then sorry...

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maya12
Member # 36392

So is this what this is a herx from flagyl and biaxin killing the fl1935 bug behind my eyes? I only took one dose of flagyl and my eyes have been bad since, took flagyl on sunday now taking just doxy and biaxin

But could the one dose of flagyl have activated the fl1953? And caused symptoms this far out from taking the flagyl on sunday?

Yes have had twitches too

This could be a herx from the flagyl and doxy?

Maya12
Member # 36392

Thank you many bites for all your help and wise words yes I have had eye pain and twitches in the eye, actually all the sx you list I have had and have more now. I do think this is likely the fl bug

Yes I also feel as if my eyes are spasming and are crossed, that is exactly how it feels.

I assume even the one dose of flagyl stirred up the fl bug and even though I stopped planq it is still in my body .

I think you are right that this is a herx

Thank you so much for all your help , good to know too that your eyes are now better

randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maya hon, look up herx symptoms. Herxes can cause a
Ton of stuff even making Lyme symptoms much worse. Fever, rashes, chills, vomiting, all kinds of stuff

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maya12
Member # 36392

Hey many bites did you have blurred vision with fl1935 too? Or just vision that seemed to be getting worse?

And yes I also have floaters

Maya12
Member # 36392

Anyone know if dozy or clarithromycin can affect the. Eyes?
Maya12
Member # 36392

Also many bites I am not on planq now can the doxy , biaxin and flagyl combo still kill fry bug or do I also need the planq?
Maya12
Member # 36392

Many bites you there? To answer this above question ? You seem to know much and I wonder If at some point I should add the planq back in if I infant need it to kill fry bug

Also my eyes are still a bit off but much better than yesterday

rera2528
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rera2528     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would echo desertwind above - if you are concerned about your eyes, you should talk to your LLMD and an eye doc. We see the same LLMD, and she was pretty clear with me about getting the eye exams every 6 months.

Maybe I am too cautious, but my vision is bad enough already, and I don't take chances when I question something with my eyes.

My experience on plaquenil has been fine - no eye problems with it. I have developed very dry eyes, as others have, as part of this lyme journey.

Posts: 447 | From Vermont | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maya12
Member # 36392

Hey rera I have actually stopped the planq for now as she advised me to and my eyes do feel better today so I think it was just part of a herx but I do appreciate your help and concern

I remember her telling be to have eye exams with planq but now that I am off it do I still need eye exams?

Also rera how do yOu feel about our llmd and her treatment? So far I think she is quite good and like that she follows baruscanno. She has also been a speaker at ilads confrences.

Are you getting better with her and how long have you been seeing her?

Maya12
Member # 36392

Hey many bites you mentioned interphase plus is that the enzymes you are taking? If so where do you get these?

And you were right it was a herx

I don't have any chlorella yet but will bentonite clay help?

Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it

Maya12
Member # 36392

Hey many bites sorry to bug you again but you know so much , when you say enzymes do you mean just regular digestive enzymes?

Or do you mean the planquenil? And I am definatly going to look into getting some chlorella

Thanks for all the help

Maya12
Member # 36392

Ok ok thanks many bites , since I am not on planq right now I hope the doxy , biaxin and flagyl are enough to hit fry bug but it sounds like it is.

I am definatly going to look into look into interphase plus

Thanks for the help

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maya.. maybe you'd enjoy getting hooked up with the Lyme Chat on Lyme Friends.

I might be able to find the link if you want it.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maya12
Member # 36392

Is lymechat on this webcite? I didn't even realize there was a Lyme chat
Maya12
Member # 36392

Do many other members on here also use Lyme chat on Lyme friends?
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Couldn't find the actual link, but you should be able to find it when you get to Lyme Friends. Many here belong to both.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/3/30178?#000000

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maya12
Member # 36392

Oh cool thanks for the link lymetoo

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement