LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Why am I always so cold?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why am I always so cold?
tricia386
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 29623

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tricia386     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I am hypothyroid and I am on medicication, both Synthroid and Cytomel I get my levels checked every 6 weeks. My levels are in good range.

However, I am always cold. I mean cold to the core. Sometimes I have chills and need to lay on a heating pad to warm up...

What is this, been in treatment for 13 months with a very good LLMD.

--------------------
Lyme activated in April 2010 by gardasil vaccine.
DX: Lyme,Babs,Myco,Bart 11/10
Treatment Started: 3/28/11

Posts: 1752 | From Albany, NY | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lala
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bartonella?
Posts: 125 | From eu | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
koo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for koo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good question. I am not hypothyroid but this was one of my first symptoms.....in a hot TX summer back in '09. We are all different but in my case I am having issues with the hypothalamus/pituitary. That was established very early on. It is improving somewhat after 14 months of treatment.
Posts: 478 | From Third Coast | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emla999/Lyme
Member # 12606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emla999/Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is your actual body temperature also low (especially in the morning)? And if you don't mind me asking you, how much water/fluids do you drink? And do you eat any carbs? I ask this because for some people drinking alot of water or fuids of any kind can drop their body temperature and thus they will feel cold alot of the time. And also, some people will feel cold alot when they avoid eating carbs, sugar and salt...... eating those foods tend to raise body temperature. And drinking less water/fluids also tends to raise a person's body temperature.

And as a general rule, I never drink any fluids unless I am fairly thirsty. I used to drink alot of fluids even when I was not thirsty because I thought that it was healthy for me to do so and I had to drink alot of fluids just to get all of my pills and supplements down. But I no longer do that.

Also, you might find the link down bellow to be rather interesting .

What gets you hot?

http://180degreehealth.com/2012/03/what-gets-you-hot

*** Please be sure to read the comments down in the comment section because you might be surprised at what some people eat to increase their body temperature and to improve their health.

Posts: 1223 | From U.S.A | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tricia386
Member # 29623

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tricia386     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I do have bartonella. It was addressed before but we really focused on Lyme, MYCO and Babs right now I will be starting treatment again for Bart soon.

I dont eat a lot of carbs. And I drink a ton of water probably one liter a day. My body tempture is all over the place.

I have been tested for Reverse T3 which would indicate Wilsons syndrome but, I dont have it. Ugh my nose and hands and feet are always cold I feel like a dog

--------------------

Posts: 1752 | From Albany, NY | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stickerbow
Member # 37536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stickerbow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have same issue In Am when I wake up I,m freezing and in a cold sweat also use electric blanket.

I can get cold anytime while everyone is hot.

I'm new to all this Probally had lyme many years and last tick bite got my attention.

Posts: 19 | From MD | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the same issue. I don't test hypothyroid but my thyroid function is low.

I recently bought a biomat to help with detox because I thought it would be more convenient than a sauna. I got the mini which is expensive, but the least expensive of the options available.

I have not had the deep cold to the core feeling since I started using it, and my a.m. temperature is much higher than it has been in the past. I have been using it for about 3 weeks or so.

--------------------
Tick bite in 2006, bullseye rash, treated with 2 rounds of 2 weeks of doxy. (once in 2006, once in 2009)
Dx with chronic Lyme May 2011.
LLMD April 2012, Treating with omnicef/zith
Lots of supplements!

Posts: 640 | From Connecticut | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Girl, right? Estrogen inhibits IL-6.

Not nec. a bad thing (lowering/blocking IL-6...preventing its SECRETION)

Cold = less inflammation.

We need inflammation to happen to heal, but it is supposed to shut off.

In lyme, it doesn't.

Ongoing inflammation is very very bad.

See my post about Bb being "photosynthetic" and look for my subsequent post that says "here goes"...scroll way down to 2 OTC supplements I mention or 1 Rx (for kids) that is mentioned and how those supplements relate to IL-6.

IMO...very seriously consider OTC Zyflamed...for a long time.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tricia386
Member # 29623

Hey Marnie-

Yes I am a girl. Young realtively 26. I do take lots for inflamation, Cucurmin, NRF2 and LDN along with a host of other supplements.

are you saying I should consider Zyflammed?

--------------------

lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay! Zyflamend!!! It got me off prescription NSAIDs. I take 2 a day for maintenance now.

New Chapter has recently expanded the product line of Zyflamend, so the original formula is now called Zyflamend - Whole Body. http://www.newchapter.com/zyflamend

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes...Zyflamend may help with the symptoms.

Inflammatory cytokines either INCREASE OR DECREASE inflammation.

***Dysregulation of that balance*** is thought to may cause "autoimmune".

IL1B (interleukin 1 beta) is PROinflammatory.

TNFa (Tumor necrosis factor alpha) is ANTI-inflammatory.

Those are the big players.

IMO...both contribute to the persistence of lyme.

[ 05-16-2012, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: Marnie ]

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emla999/Lyme
Member # 12606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emla999/Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tricia386 you said,

quote:
I don't eat a lot of carbs. And I drink a ton of water probably one liter a day. My body tempture is all over the place.
Well, based upon my on personal experience and in my opinion that may be why you are so cold all of the time. Drinking alot of water throughout the day can cause over hydration or "water intoxication" and your urinary brix (sugar) and urinary salts will usually crash or be on the low side. The specific gravity of your urine will also be low. And when this occurrs you will often feel cold.

You can verify this by using a device called a refractometer to measure your urine. And with a refractometer you can determine whether or not you are drinking too much water or not enough. The refractometer can measure the specific gravity of your urine and the brix (sugar) content of your urine. So, there is no guess work involved. A refractometer will cost you about $20.00 - $30.00 dollars off of ebay and it is extremly easy and quick to use.

Also, if you are peeing crystal clear urine all of the time then you are most likely drinking too much water/fluids. Crystal clear urine will be of a low specific gravity and it will usually be low in salts and sugars. Though, if you are taking certain drugs, vitamins or supplements then the true color of your urine can be difficult to determine. So, the visual method will not be as accurate as measuring your urine with a refractometer.

And eating more carbs, sugar and salt and drinking less fluids throughout the day will often raise your body temperature.

And for more about the negative effect that drinking alot of water/fluids can have on your body please listen to videos down bellow.

The potential side effects of drinking too much water/fluids.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/undergroundwellness/2012/02/22/the-dangers-of-our-water-obsession-with-guest-matt-stone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-rXiUDGHJU

http://180degreehealth.com/2012/02/how-much-water-should-you-drink

Posts: 1223 | From U.S.A | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jarjar
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jarjar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My body temp was always a little lower then normal and yes I have bart issues. I bought an inexpensive IFR portable sauna (200.00) and I notice that when I use it on a regular basis it resets my body temp. and brings it back up to normal. Just my 2 cents and what worked for me.
Posts: 805 | From Utopia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tricia386
Member # 29623

I might have to work in to this, I get my thyroid checked in a few weeks. I will just make sure its not that first.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

--------------------

tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't read everyone else's replies but for me I believe it was thyroid related and I also tend to get chills when I react to certain foods. I have a lot of food allergies.
Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement