LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Help with TMJ/TMD

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help with TMJ/TMD
desertwind
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am having a horrific time with my TMJ and feel like I am running out of options.

I think my TMD is a combo of lyme and company PLUS a bad bite "balance" a dentist did about 6 months ago that landed me in TMJ hell.

I never had jaw pain till that bite adjustment.

Anyway, I have been to 3 different dentists and even saw a Neuromuscular dentist and had a orthotic made. HAd numerous adjustments to it but it still does not help. Soooo very expensive and all it does is make my jaw more sore.

Also had a night gaurd made which did not help either.. Like why is nothing helping?

Maybe it has nothing to do with the bite adjustment and is all about TBI's?

I am at my wits end and do not know what to do at this point since standard treatment is not helping. The pain is very intense..

I bought an at home TENS unit and that helps a little but the pain always comes back.

Any advice for other TMD sufferers?

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps it's just muscle spazms from Magnesium Deficiency?

I suffered from horrific head face and neck pain. It eventually travelled down my neck and across my upper arm, giving me 'frozen shoulder'.

I had 2 dentists tell me it was TMJ, one tried the TENS, which made it worse, since they tensed my face, and the pain was coming from the giant muscle knots all over the back of my skull (and shoulders).

Muscle spazms tend to send out 'referred pain' - pain in other places than where the knot is. So, a spazm on the back of your skull may shoot pain through your jaw, or ear, or over the top of your skull to behind your eye. Any of this sound familiar?

I ended up having trigger point injections of lidocaine shot into them - took a few series, and as many as 6 or so shots each time. The pain relief was immediate as the lidocaine numbs you, and the need helps break up the spasm. The initial relief was only temporary (about a week), so I did a few series and then it was all GONE! However, I also had to address my severe magnesium deficiency which was the cause. I did a few rounds of IV Magnesium, supplemented by weekly intra muscular injections of mag.

Here's a helpful trigger point video on youtube. Hope it helps!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krDIMRyATLw

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. Yes, I do happen to have alot of issues with the back of my skull.

Two years ago I had base of skull surgery - a Craniotomy - part of my skull was removed and it is a complete and utter disaster back there.

The muscles now adhere to the dura and everything is oh so tight. I am sure the ketes are having a party back there. Shoulder and traps are so tight as well.

I am going to try some tigger point treatment tomorrow - not the injections but the pressure points.

Also, I ran out of my Magnisium a few weeks ago. That could be making things worse.

Thanks again..

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TS96
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TS96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you researched prolotherapy?

I have severe tmj/tmd and the prolo injections really helped my pain.

3 years of lyme treatment didn't touch my TMJ. For some, lyme treatment helps, others not.

Also look into hylauronic acid sp? These also help lubricate the TMJ so that it doesn't grind and degenerate so fast. I got my HA from www.vrp.com the lozenges are the easiest to absorb.

--------------------
Bart Henslea 1976
Fibro/CFS/arthritis 2004
Lyme diagnosed 2007
3 1/2 years treatment with oral combos, Cowden, IV roc. BW herbs. Off all abx in 12/10. Feeling good.

Posts: 647 | From NY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My TMJ dentist diagnosed me with lyme after he couldnt help me. After being treated with mino for a few months the pain really receded.

However it comes back when off mino.

I found that magnesium (1250mg a day) helped a lot when off mino.

Are you gluten free? My mom says her TMJ flares when she eats gluten.

Posts: 832 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you been tested for mycoplasma infection?

Back of neck problems could be Babesia?

Parasites and or food intolerences.

I heard TMJ could be caused by mycoplasma infection.

Posts: 697 | From CA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bruxism and magnesium,
By C. Ploceniak
(Translated from the French)

http://www.is.wayne.edu/mnissani/bruxnet/ploctran.htm

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a splint made for it originally that took away the pain.

I had a physical therapist work on the tight muscles inside the mouth.

My chiropractor currently uses an arthrostim hand-held device and is able to put my jaw back in place with it. He sits behind me and has me do four positions with my jaw: closed, open, jut forward, pull backward.

The device looks like a handgun - it can be set at any strength, so for the jaw, on the lightest strength. It rat-a-tats at 12x/sec and is used to move bone, in this case, the TMJ joint bones.

The technique is called KST, for Koren Stimulating Technique. I think you can contact them and ask if there's anyone in your area who has been trained to use one.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried everything for my TMJ. Had mouth guards made, structural massage therapy, pain killers, chiropractic adjustments. You name it. I did it.

The chiro adjustment would help temporarily but the pain always came back.

You know what finally worked for me? Acupuncture. I couldn't believe it. It has helped my low back pain, my achilles tendonitis pain and my neck and TMJ pain. Apparently, they all lie along the same meridian or something like that.

I would get terrible pain in the occipital region of my head. It was constant and never really went away. Until now! [Smile]

One session and the relief was instant...not completely done everywhere but oh so very noticeable. I have done two sessions so far and am going for my third on Monday. I'm hooked.

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsgotlyme
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Philly78, that is wonderful news. My daughter is suffering so bad with TMJ issues right now.

It is so terrible to watch her suffer and not know how to help. I think we may try the accupuncture.

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kidsgotlyme:

My daughter is suffering so bad with TMJ issues right now.

Have you had a chance to look at the article I posted?

Supplementing with magnesium is a simple way to treat, and very effective.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlf2012
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlf2012     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My TMJ improved once I got off of paxil. I didn't make the connection until a year later when I tried prozac and the clenching,grinding and pain returned. I'm now weaning of prozac too. It wasn't helping with my depression anyway. In fact, it may have been making it worse.
I also have a splint that helped in the past. If the splint makes you have more pain then it needs adjusted. If it's adjusted correctly there is no pain for me. It really helped me. Now since I haven't worn it in awhile I need to have it adjusted again. It's just so weird how my jaw/teeth have physically changed. Is this a lyme symptom? It's almost as if my jaw has been deformed. My teeth no longer touch other than on my back molars.

Posts: 463 | From Sandusky, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

I am treating for Babs but hard to tell if back head is from that or Chiari Malformation and PFD/suboccipital cranniotomy I had a couple of years ago. Have a bovine patch in the back of my head/dura as well.

I found some topical Magnisium Oil that seems to help my jaw relax. I massage it in a few times a day.

The dental orthotic I had made has been adjusted sooo many times and no matter what it makes my jaw worse. It just does not work for me.

However, a few days ago I had a new night gaurd made and after only wearing it a few nights my jaw is feeling better. This bite gaurd is not changing my jaw position and makes me jaw feel much more relaxed. A basic dentist made night gaurd seems to be working better then the 5K dental orthotic I had.

Massage on my traps and neck has been helping a ton and I was taught how to do massage inside my mouth.

I am sure lyme complicates all of this, but it seems that Magnisium - oral and topical, massage, relaxation and night guard is helping take the edge off.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement