LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Tetanus shot and issues from it

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tetanus shot and issues from it
dian
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14335

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a tetanus shot friday, have had lyme for six years, still under treatment, and since then I feel like I have the flu, my body is achy as hell, the site of the injection is somewhat swollen and very red, the size of a large quarter.
Is this normal? Why do I feel sick?
Diana

Posts: 256 | From Boston, mass | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickLYme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SickLYme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get very sick from vaccines. I can't get them anymore.
My doc said that Lyme patients have such a weakened immune system that when they get a vaccine the body gets sick from it....

Posts: 148 | From AZ | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flu like symptoms after vaccines are normal. It can last longer if you have a good strong immune response. So think of it as a good thing, you have the symptoms because your body has responded and you are actively building immunity.

If you are able, take some ibuprofen or tylenol, that will help relieve some of the achy flu like symptoms. Try putting some heat on your arm, that should help with the local pain.

Sometimes we are too sick to get vaccines as SickLyme pointed out.

But sometimes vaccines are necessary to prevent acute infections/new illnesses. So we have to listen to our individual doctors and try to do what's best for us as individuals.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sammy is right, try doing hot compresses on the injection site.

Most people won't have time to do hot compresses for twenty or thirty minutes every two hours, but even five or ten minutes every hour or two will help. Alot!

Many years ago, when I gave tetanus injections, I made sure to use a long needle and inject deep into the muscle in the butt.

My coworker used a short needle and administered it in the arm.
My patients never had problems but hers usually had a red, inflammed injection site.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted about this a little while ago.

I had to get a Tetanus shot a month ago.

I was warned by my LLMD to expect a herx. His take was that the shot would stimulate my immune system and stir things up.

Some LLMD's actually give a tetnaus shot as part of treatment (per my LLMD)...

Anyway, I was sick for about 2 weeks after the shot. I am pretty chronic - sick for close to 10 years.

It felt like a herx from hell but once it subsided I felt better then I had in a while.

My arm was very very sore for about a week. It felt like someone punched me.

Another thing to consider is a reaction to the mercury that is in the shot. That can make you feel pretty ill .

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
burnsjw
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for burnsjw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was sick after a tetanus shot years ago. It lasted a few weeks. I had redness at the site and extremely sore arm shoulder and all body ached like flu.
Posts: 211 | From In my house | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsgotlyme
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From my understanding, when you get a tetanus shot nowadays, it's not just for tetanus. Because adults weren't going and getting their booster shots for MMR, they started adding this into the tetanus shots.

While I don't have a problem getting the tetanus, I for sure would not get an MMR shot. It really makes me mad that they have done this.

I don't even know if it's possible to get "just" a tetanus shot anymore.

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prior to my realizing I had lyme I recieved a tetanus as well as a flu shot several wks after a suspicious tick bite. I was already complaining of muscle pain when I went for my physical, but the connection to the bite was dismissed and the vaccinations were recommended. I became severely ill after with debilitating pains. My LLNP said my immune system may have been severely affected due to the bite and then the vaccinations.
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docluddite
Member # 36032

Icon 1 posted      Profile for docluddite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tetanus boosters contain thimerosol, a organo sulfur molecule complexed with mercury but by weight, 50% mercury. It binds up the detoxification process in the liver, temporarily for some, longer for others, depending on genetic factors on how well one detoxes mercury. avoid them like the plague, ask your doctor to produce the study that shows tetanus shots wear off after 10 years... He/she won't be able to.
Posts: 60 | From Maine | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not all Tetanus (Tdap) boosters have thimerosal. For example, Adacel and Boostrix brands are both approved for adult use and they are mercury free versions just like the children's ones.

Older versions may have had more Thimerosal, this is not routinely used any longer, especially in children's vaccines.

If you need a vaccine and are concerned about the contents, talk with your doctor. They will be able to show you the prescribing info with all the ingredients and or preservatives. This way you can make an educated decision.

The CDC also has a resource listing all the current vaccines:
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/appendices/B/excipient-table-2.pdf

Also, of it is not an emergency you could ask your doctor to run titers to see if you have immunity or need a vaccine booster. This can be really helpful, I learned that I needed many boosters because my body did not hold immunity even though I had been fully vaccinated.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a tetanus shot in College...got a rash and a fever from it. My doctor told me I was allergic and should avoid them in the future. So now I use homeopathic Hypericum as prevention of tetanus/lock jaw if I get a puncture wound.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have also heard of healthy people feeling bad from tetnus shots.

I had to get one a couple of years ago. My arm was very sore which is typical, but I did not have any problems from it.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

True Sammi, my best friend always has the exaggerated response to vaccines, fluey feeling, fevers, and painful injection arm/site. She's a pediatric NP so she knows that it is important to keep up with her shots to help protect her tiny patients.
tricia386
Member # 29623

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tricia386     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although it was not the tentus shot that caused my lyme it was another vaccine.

I got the gardasil vaccine 2 years ago and it activated my Lyme. I also suffered adverse reaction from the vaccine.

I am very anti vaccine unless it is life or death

--------------------
Lyme activated in April 2010 by gardasil vaccine.
DX: Lyme,Babs,Myco,Bart 11/10
Treatment Started: 3/28/11

Posts: 1752 | From Albany, NY | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement