LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Herx vs flare

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Herx vs flare
soccermama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soccermama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted input from the members. I already searched the topic but was hoping to get more info.

It is my understanding that a herx is a result of rapid die-off so that the body is not able to

dispose of the debris. A herx typically happens at the start of meds or a change of meds.

But, can you herx when you have a flare because there is more bacteria present?

Do flares normally happen every 4 weeks or is that time frame different for everyone?

Posts: 538 | From kentucky | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hadlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hadlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You will find that we all seem to have a different meaning on these words.

Some people use flares to mean a herx, some use flares to mean something else.

It also has to do with what your dr. calls it.

I used to always call the die off feeling a herx. I now call it a flare. To me, it sounds a bit better when talking about it with my friends that do not understand. Flare seems to be understood better than 'herx'.

So to me, I take it as the wording is the same thing. My dr. calls it flare instead of herx also.

Herxing usually is a cycle thing, every 4 days, 4 weeks, etc.

I look at flare as a 'new' name for a herx.

There are others that do not look at them as the same. They should be posting soon with their opinion on it too.

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Fry Bug..... Whatever it is, may a treatment be discovered to make us all whole again!

Posts: 941 | From AZ-MT | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pony
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pony     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is one of the things that has always bothered me about lyme treatment.

It seems like nowadays everything is a herx, and that whenever you aren't feeling well you are herxing.

I too feel that people use the term herx when they mean flair. It's a loosely used term, for a very important, specific event. I've always interpreted it as: herx=die off, flare=increased symptoms NOT related to die off...

But as you see, people interpret these things very differently!

Good luck!

Posts: 169 | From The Poconos | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trubeee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trubeee         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi soccermama, my LLMD uses flares/herxes interchangeably. I'm not so sure though. I have my typical monthly 'flare' whether I'm on meds or not (not treated Lyme sufficiently probably) then when I'm on meds I have terrible herxes... but I tell family that I'm 'flaring' that way they get it...
Posts: 195 | From - | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soccermama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soccermama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What causes a flare? It was my understanding that the bacteria multiplies every 28 days which causes

an increase in symptoms. If that is the case, then being on antibiotics would kill them off.

The result would be die-off and thus herxing.

Is that plausible?

Posts: 538 | From kentucky | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kern33
Member # 36267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kern33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is hard to distinguish when you are on ABX whether you are experiencing a flare or die-off. For me, personally, the flares have changed their nature pretty much, thus I regard them as die-off reactions, since they really feel different compared to flares I experienced prior to treatment. Hope this helps [Smile]
Posts: 78 | From Germany | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gigimac
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gigimac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have thought of flares as an increase in symptoms due to the monthly cycle of the bacteria or progression of the disease, while I thought a herx is an increase in symptoms due to die off of bacteria.

I get a once a month flare of symptoms and it gets way worse if I'm not on abx.

Posts: 1534 | From Greensboro NC | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement