LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Can we get Shingles Vaccine??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can we get Shingles Vaccine??
nonna05
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33557

Icon 7 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok for us to get Vaccine??/ This is not something I would want after having to fight this.
Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
It's a very important point that since those with lyme have compromised & dysfunctional immune systems, that vaccines pose a risk, themselves.

I see those ads for the vaccine on TV a lot lately and they are frightening. I also have know two friends to battle this.

The Shingles vaccine is very expensive and most insurance policies do not cover it, so if you do decide, be sure to check on cost and coverage.

Still, as I've had terrible and long lasting damage from other vaccines over the years,

I would never consider any vaccine, other than tetanus - and then - only with very specific preliminary support and aftercare. But now, I'm not around a lot of soil so it's not a major concern.

Best to ask your LLMD about this and what other recommendations they may have such as Olive Leaf Extract, Allicin, or other antiviral herbs, just in case.

Might the antiviral Rx that is prescribed at the onset of shingles be able to be prescribed to you by your GP to have on hand, just in case?

Insurance may not cover it then but not sure if, legally, a doctor can prescribe it for someone who is not in need of it at the time of the script. The problem with the Rx is that it needs to begin nearly immediately.

Even to get to a GP, many with lyme can't just get up and go if they are rather home-bound or have to rely on others to drive them, etc.

This is where having a RIFE MACHINE would be very handy, indeed.

Still, learning all we can about all possible ways to address this, we can construct our own care kit to have within reach.

Some homeopathics might be part of such a plan, too.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rene
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4870

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rene     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely not!!!! Several on here in remission have had their symptoms reoccur after vaccines. I will not take another vaccine for the rest of my life, including tetanus.
Posts: 366 | From Louisville KY. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
glad I asked..to many commercials and two people
I know went through it at stress times,,
Thank you ,again..

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually just had my pertussis vaccine and it had no effect on me. Not everyone will react to the vaccines and it is really up to you.

With that said...I wouldn't get the shingles vaccine. It is contraindicated for those with weakened immune systems and that includes us lymies!

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not for me! I'm taking my chances.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i got shingles a couple of years ago on my back. by the time i realized what it was, it was too late for any vaccine and the doc said i'd just have to "tough it out".

my sister gave me something called "terrasol". it's a collodial silver compound. it cleared my shingles up within a day or so. i kept using it just to make sure.

because the singles was on my spine area i wanted to be safe. so far no problems.

however, husband has a friend whose wife got shingles and it's now systemic. she has real problems with balance, ear issues, etc., so shingles can be very serious.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen those commercials too and it is a real worry. I take LDN and hope that will keep it suppressed. In African studies, LDN was found effective against the virus, AIDS and it is also helpful with hepitits so it should prevent shingles.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tricia386
Member # 29623

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tricia386     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would not get any vaccine unless it was life of death. This is how my whole debacle started. I recieved the vaccine and within weeks I was so sick.

Worse decision of my life.

--------------------
Lyme activated in April 2010 by gardasil vaccine.
DX: Lyme,Babs,Myco,Bart 11/10
Treatment Started: 3/28/11

Posts: 1752 | From Albany, NY | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah i got a flue shot one year and it's been downhill ever since.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AuntyLynn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not trust the pharmaceutical companies with this any more.

If I thought I was at risk for tetanus - maybe - but they are targeting baby boomers with the shingles vaccine, and I just don't buy it!

Ditto the flu vaccine.
I've never had the flu in my life,
So why would I deliberately introduce four or five LIVE STRAINS of it into my bloodstream?

Posts: 1432 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickbitt
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickbitt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems that those who've had troubles with vaccines are attracted to this post.

I, on the other hand, have had three seasonal flu shots and a bird flu shot since I've been treating for a variety of TBI's.

No nasty side effects, and no flu.

AuntyLynn asks "why would I deliberately introduce four or five LIVE STRAINS of it into my bloodstream?"

Uhmm, vaccines do not introduce live strains of anything. They introduce dead pathogens that the immune system can train itself to recognize and respond to.

Posts: 146 | From Maine | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AuntyLynn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tickbitt - You are mistaken in this.

The swine flu addition to the flu cocktail 2 years ago was LIVE, and several OTHER flu strains that are used are LIVE, in the NASAL MIST - which is commonly given to SCHOOL CHILDREN!

This administration of live vaccines has the potential to CAUSE an endemic in the population that has not been vaccinated. Kindly check your facts.

Here is a handy list. In fact, according to this source, the herpes zoster (shingles) vaccine IS LIVE!

http://promotinghealthandpatienteducation.blogspot.com/2010/06/which-vaccines-are-live.html

Posts: 1432 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Another reason why I prefer to avoid vaccines whenever possible, most contain an "adjuvent" (commonly ALUMINUM), which BOOSTS the potency of the vaccine, but which is strongly suspected to cause Alzheimers.

A Scandanavian study of a few years ago showed a direct correlation of "statistically significant" increased incidence of Alzheimers disease in men who had received more than one flu vaccination.

Moreover, although the pharma companies "poo poo" any relationship between childhood vaccines and the incidence of Autism; my State is the "corporate headquarters" of this nation's pharmaceutical manufacturers - as a result, our lawmakers require a schedule of 24 preschool vaccinations. Is it sheer coincidence that we also have the HIGHEST RATE OF AUTISM in the Nation?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement