LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Biaxin and sleep?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Biaxin and sleep?
erikjh1972
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erikjh1972     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been taking Biaxin/plaquinil for almost 2 years. At this point I'm feeling like my old self, only problem is trouble sleeping. I always chalked it up o the Lyme but with all my symptoms pretty much gone I'm wondering if its th Biaxin that is messing with my sleep? When I get decent sleep, the next day I'm normal- good energy, can workout, feel really good.

So I guess my question would be has anyone else experienced this with Biaxin or any other med for that matter?

--------------------
3 months Doxy
8 months of Tetra
7 months of Biaxin/Plaq.
4 months Doxy/Biaxin/Plaq.
5 months Biaxin/Plaq.
Back on Doxy/Biax/Plaq
On the road to recovery.
Trying to make people Lyme Aware.......

Posts: 289 | From R.I. | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymedin2010
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How badly sick were you before starting treatment? What symptoms did you have?

The combo Doxy and Biaxin worked best for me. I had tried IV Rocephin, Ceftin, Mepron, Zithro, and Biaxin combos prior to this, only to continue on the decline. Doxy and Biaxin are the only combos that really worked, far from cured but happy not to be in severe pain. I could feel that everything was still there, only hibernating and mitigated. This combo did wonders for me and I had normal days at times.

Since your from RI, you might be interested in this article. Others on this board and locally here in NY have confirmed, that they have had a tick on them after the first snow fall in the fall of 2011.

http://www.wpri.com/dpp/news/local_news/providence/ri-ticks-dont-mind-cold-weather?ref=nf

Posts: 2087 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was on Biaxin I had troubles sleeping - got me very jazzed up.

I would take the full 1,000 mg.s in the AM or I would not sleep.

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erikjh1972
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erikjh1972     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the input. I agree this combo along with doxy added has worked wonders. It's just I've been havering more trouble staying asleep than usual and wondered if it could be the Biaxin. I read where it could cause sleep disturbances.

--------------------
3 months Doxy
8 months of Tetra
7 months of Biaxin/Plaq.
4 months Doxy/Biaxin/Plaq.
5 months Biaxin/Plaq.
Back on Doxy/Biax/Plaq
On the road to recovery.
Trying to make people Lyme Aware.......

Posts: 289 | From R.I. | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeniferM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JeniferM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing that helped with my sleep was to address adrenal issues. I take AdreCor and Phenylalanine in the morning and TravaCor in the evening. Has definitely helped with my getting to sleep at night, sleeping more soundly, and having more energy during the day. Not sure if that would help anyone else, but it sure helped me. That and getting my thyroid levels right.

--------------------
IgM: [18++,31+++,34++,41++,83-93+] [39 IND]
IgG: [41 IND]
Positive according to IGeneX. Negative according to CDC. Negative for co-infections.
Currently treating for Lyme, Bartonella, Babesia

Posts: 225 | From Minnesota | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, trouble sleeping is a side effect of Biaxin:

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/biaxin-side-effects.html

Biaxin gave me total insomnia. It got worse each day I took it. By day 3, I could not sleep even a wink all night long.

Not only that, but it gave me total anorexia. By day 3, I couldn't bring myself to eat even one spoonful of food all day long.

Once it got that bad, I called my lyme doc and he laughed and said it was the Biaxin and changed me to something else.

It took about 5 days for these side effects to go away, and I had only taken the med 4-5 days.

So, I expect that a week or so after you stop Biaxin, you will sleep like a baby.

Find out if you can switch the Biaxin to something else and see if things change for you. I hope they do!

Sounds like you are doing wonderfully! So glad to hear it!

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement