LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » how many days should person treat if they were bitten a week ago?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how many days should person treat if they were bitten a week ago?
abbyjo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16073

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbyjo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

Can somebody please remind me how long a person

needs to take antibiotics if they were bit a week

ago, also how many Mg's and is doxy a good one to

take? My father found an imbedded tick and had 3

bulls eye's a week ago. The doctor prescribed him

10 days of doxy.I'm 99.9% sure it should be

longer! I have chronic lyme myself but have been

well enough to not see my lyme doc. so Im asking

you for help :)My dad is stubborn and wont see

LLMD. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

--------------------
abbyjo

Posts: 255 | From Southern CA. | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me.. it would be 6 wks of 200mg doxy twice a day. Longer if symptoms persist.

10 days could be a "death sentence"

www.TreatTheBite.com

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You say:

"My father found an imbedded tick and had

*** 3 bulls eye's a week ago. ***

The doctor prescribed him 10 days of doxy. . . . My dad is stubborn and wont see LLMD. . . ." (end quote)

==========

At first, I did not see that he had the bulls eye rash. Now that is clear, he HAS LYME. No doubt about that.

At LEAST seven months. At LEAST SEVEN MONTHS.

(See the "Controversies" article in next thread as to why that authors says SEVEN MONTHS, minimum.)

But to treat with just doxy can cause it to become chronic later. Just Doxy lets the borrelia go into cyst form, to lie in wait.

I'd also take GSE with that -- and something that would cover co-infections.

I know you have chronic lyme, yourself, so many of these article may be familiar to you. Can you share them with him?

Be sure to take photos of all those rashes. Get his face in the photo of one for each rash, something to prove the date - newspaper or magazine - and some object for measure (a clean quarter).

He may need these later.

I know you must be frightened for him so do take care.

He does not EVER need a lyme test (the tick bite & bulls eye rashes are proof). However, he should be assessed for other common tick-borne infections (that doxy can't treat).

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=015508;p=0

Diagnosing Lyme Disease (&/or whatever else is going on)

Other tick-borne infections and other chronic stealth infections - as well as certain conditions - that can hold us back are discussed here.

==================

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=013239;p=0

(What ILADS is) . . . WHY you need an ILADS-educated, Lyme Literate Doctor - starting with assessment / evaluation.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abbyjo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16073

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbyjo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, thank you so much for both of your input. I have been in touch with my LLMD and am going to

get him in. Believe me, I know this is not something to mess around with. I went 2 yrs.

undiagnosed. And to think, I live in an area that has barely any Lyme disease HA! It's so

scary to think my dad spent his whole career as a Forest Ranger building trails, clearing brush

and camping on the ground and never got lyme disease, having many ticks removed. Now 17 years

later he is gardening in a backyard and gets it. Of all of the ticks he has encountered it was one

that looked unfamiliar. It appears to be a American Dog Tick.

--------------------
abbyjo

Posts: 255 | From Southern CA. | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
The bulls eye rashes, though, may be his ticket. With that clarity, I hope he gets the express train to treatment - and health.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AuntyLynn
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 35938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AuntyLynn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you DO get your Dad to see your LLMD, I would ask about Tinidazole, which is apparently better at killing the various forms of Lyme, and was found to be more effective as an early treatment:

May 2011 study
(Tinidazole more effective than Doxycycline)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21753890

Posts: 1432 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AuntyLynn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you need to, you have my permission to tell your Dad about my Mom. She was gardening the first spring in her new beach house. Three days later found a swollen tick embedded in the back of her knee.

I begged her to see her GP, which she did, even though she had no symptom, no rash. He gave her 3 weeks of Doxy. A week later I asked if she was still taking her antibiotics (Mom hates "pills.") Her answer: "Oh no, I feel fine."

A few months later she started having panic attacks. A year or so after that, she started complaining about memory problems. It took four neuros and 12 years to get a positive diagnosis for Neuro Lyme.

She is now living in an Alzheimers Ward.

Posts: 1432 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debilyn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for debilyn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, AuntyLynn, I feel so badly for your Mom.

With Lyme treatment, won't her mind come back?

I sure am counting on that for me.

Posts: 331 | From West Coast | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do people who dont have access to an LLMD when find an embedded tick with a bulls eye rash?

If they are lucky they will get 4 weeks of abx from their GP. Then what? It can take months to get into an LLMD.

Do LLMD's take patients like this immediately?

Posts: 832 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Thanks Debilyn.

Yes, there is plenty of evidence that with the RIGHT TREATMENT she would make SOME improvement. She did get 28 days of IV Rocephin 3 years ago ... so ... "She's CURED" you know!

Unfortunately, the siblings who absolutely commandeered her health care, unlawfully, don't want to hear that she must STILL have active Lyme - and God knows WHAT coinfections. They have a very greedy agenda that never included any concern for Mom's health or her wishes for her life.

I am determined to get her tested. (Hopefully by Advanced Labs... but that takes BIG CASH, which is in very SHORT SUPPLY right now.)

I could use prayers (and a small miracle) in the next three weeks!

Thanks so much for your concern. I just don't want to see anyone else go through what my Mom has suffered - as a result of medical incompetence, and sheer ignorance.

supergirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for supergirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IF it were me, I would immediately go with either IV or IM at least for 30 days. Spirochete - remember, that is the treatment right off the bat for syphillis.

I think it's time we stop taking No for an answer! If a doctor refuses treatment, go to the media - tell what happened - I just feel like it's time to fight.

--------------------
PHOENIX: mythical bird that rises from the ashes
July '09 got sick very quickly could barely get out of bed - ND diag lymes.. and the journey began
bite: unkown - no rash

Posts: 248 | From private | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I got REAL insurance 2 years ago and got to the Real ID doctors..I already had an idea about spirochete's and parasites..
Plus all of the places I had traveled.

They did test/lumbar/scans all kinds of things,, but the 2 I had requested at the beginning were for syphilis and malaria..

It took 2 visits and 3 phone calls to get them to admit that they did not check either one or any in the near family of.. Just tried to discredit a 2 times positive test for Brucellosis..

And the beat goes on..So much for REAL ins..that's mixed up too ,now...

Seems to me we could right about 20,000 books /stories ,if only it wasn't just us reading about us... [dizzy]

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement