LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Interfase plus horrible reaction!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Interfase plus horrible reaction!
Spindleshanks
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32556

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Spindleshanks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took one interFase plus this am and 20 mins later my face became very red and hot. Eyes were bloodshot and burning.
I had intense bowel and lower back pain.

Has anyone experienced this? I have been taking it for months now. I have not been that consistent lately because I ran out and have been forgetting about it now that I have it back.

Posts: 253 | From CA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lauralyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauralyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow that is really bizarre, especially since you handled it previously
sorry to hear it

I never noticed anything when I took it

--------------------
Fall down seven times, get up eight
~Japanese proverb

Posts: 1146 | From west coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear that. I feel nothing from it as well.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spindleshanks
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spindleshanks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you. I asked my md and said maybe a herx? I really don't think so, it was totally different and weird.
Posts: 253 | From CA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
First, check the capsules very closely to be sure they are not counterfeit. Sadly, we need to do this now with every bottle of Rx and supplements.

ALLERGY? Could be an egg allergy, though, even if previously not allergic to eggs.

Food allergies can occur at any time.

Important to also consider possible allergy reaction. You may want to be especially careful about eggs right now, just in case.
-------------

https://www.protherainc.com/prod/proddetail.asp?id=K-INT

InterFase

Excerpt:

Caution: Individuals with known egg white allergy should consult their physician before using this product.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Symptoms you describe certainly match with egg white allergy:

"Within 20 minutes:

Face became very red and hot;

Eyes were bloodshot and burning;

Intense bowel and lower back pain." (end condensed quote)
----------------

http://www.livestrong.com/article/264774-allergic-reaction-symptoms-to-egg-whites/

ALLERGIC REACTION SYMPTOMS TO EGG WHITES

- y Nancy Clarke Aug 18, 2011

Excerpts (relating only to those symptoms you described):

[Skin] . . . skin inflammation . . . SHORTLY after eating or after a delay of an hour or more . . . .

[Eyes] . . . Inflammation may also redden the eyes and cause swelling of the eyelids. . . .

[Stomach, intestines]. . . Painful stomach cramps can occur. Symptoms of illness in the lower gastrointestinal tract include intestinal cramping . . .

These problems usually arise within two hours of consuming allergenic foods and dissipate as the allergens pass from the body. . . .

---------------------------

You did not mention any breathing problems, but, IMO, you should NOT consume any eggs - or anything with eggs in them - until consulting a doctor.

Also from that article - and what could happen if this is an allergy and you are exposed to eggs again:
--------------------

Anaphylaxis, the most severe, but rarest allergic reaction to foods, can occur at any time after patients with egg allergies eat egg whites, the National Institutes of Health report.

Anaphylactic allergy symptoms arise suddenly, producing a racing pulse, coughing, wheezing and light-headedness. These can rapidly escalate to shortness of breath, confusion, slurred speech and fainting.

Patients should call 9-1-1 at early signs of anaphylaxis, which can quickly lead to shock, respiratory failure and death.

- Full article at link above.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Hope you did not try that again today. Hope you see these entries.

Wondering if you may have previously mentioned anything about an egg white allergy (although past ability to tolerate any food does not mean an allergy is ever out of the question at a future time).

Looking back over some of your posts, some of the symptoms you post could indicate an allergy that has not been identified, especially since you have been dx with CVID.

Symptoms you posted that could point to egg white allergy:
-------------------------------------------

* topic: Facial nasal eyes burning nothing helps! Thread:

. . . intense sinus facial burning. My eyes are watering my nose is running more like pouring clear liquid. . . . It is so painful

* topic: anaphilactoid herx rxn

Definition from a web source: anaphylactoid reactions are a type of anaphylaxis that does not involve an allergic reaction but is due to direct mast cell degranulation.

[I would question the kind of "herx" reactions. It might be hard to determine the CAUSE of anaphylaxis - and the triggers could be multiple]

* Topic: Should I go to ER?

. . . I am having IBS type of pain and nausea. . . .

* topic: What�s up with my skin?

I have little bumps all over my face it looks like sandpaper. . . . I am also broken out on my neck chest and back. . . .

* Topic: Denied IVIG by Immunologist!

. . . CVID (Common variable immunodeficiency)

[From another site, another poster�s note: [son] is allergic to egg whites and peanuts. I am so thankful .... Allergies are one symptom of CVID and other primary immune diseases (PID).�]

* topic: Denied IVIG by Immunologist! thread

. . . something about that indicating I was unable to make protein based antibodies? . . .
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
It seems important to avoid eggs for now, of course, with exploration into that.

Still, other than the possibility of this being an egg white allergy:

although the reaction within 20 minutes of taking InterFase (and that is contraindicated with egg white allergy) so that seems the most logical question,

might there be some other food, Rx or supplement (or a food additive) that could be involved?

Any garden spraying going on right outside your home, at the same time? Any other kind of chemical exposure right then?

Food poisoning might be considered:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/114859?#000000

Topic: FOOD POISONING ? Links
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
You probably are clear of additives but, just to be sure - sometimes packaged foods change their ingredients from time to time. Details:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=029690;p=0

Excitotoxins; MSG; Aspartame; & "Natural" Flavors
-

Spindleshanks
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spindleshanks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you!

I am going to have electrodermal urine testing done for many allergies and then will do the desensitization drop for the culprits.

I love eggs I hope it is not true but I do understand the importance of recognizing and avoiding allergic foods and supplements.

My md stressed that treating my allergies will restore the balance of my adrenal and immune function. She said that even supplementing for adrenal will not regulate the cortisol levels if you are suffering from allergies.

I did not take it again today:) much better!

Do you think it could have been a yeast explosion!?

Anyone else had this happen?

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
"Do you think it could have been a yeast explosion!?" (end quote)

I do not.

I think it was clearly an allergic reaction to InterFase, whether from egg whites or from other ingredients - or the whole combination.

But you need someone way smarter than I and far more medically equipped to sort this out. Someone who is clearly very much lyme literate, too, as lyme changes everything about a body does - or does not - work. Especially with allergies.

A regular allergist is not much help for those with lyme - although it may be good to have the typical egg white allergy tests done first. For this, I would go to a regular allergist -- just don't stop there for how to proceed.
-

Spindleshanks
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32556

I just don't see why it wouldn't do it one day and do it the next. I know allergies can develop but overnight?

Its doesn't surprise me really I could never imagined what treating this disease was going to bring my way. Wow it is crazy what we have to go through.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
You said, though, that you had just restarted the InterFase, not having been consistent with it, just got it back.

Still, yes, allergies can develop overnight. I found out how with a sulfa allergy that nearly killed me.

Although I had been on sulfa drugs, off a few days and then with the start of a new round - bam. Couldn't breath, hives, convulsions, shock. The ER saved my life. Yes, indeed, one can develop an allergy at any time.

That is why some experts advise to never consume the same food more than once every 3 days. The more frequent our exposure, the greater risk there may be of developing an allergy to it.

Even with our healthful oils, it's best to rotate. Never the same foods every day.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Just for background - about cortisol allergies in lyme. Some of this may be relevant to other allergy reactions, too.
----------

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_7396/is_324/ai_n54480513/

HEAL THE HORMONES TO HEAL FROM LYME DISEASE

- by Connie Strasheim - Townsend Letter - July, 2010

be sure to scroll down past a section of ads that looks like the end of the article. This is a four-page article.

Excerpt:

. . . Cortisol allergies produce all the signs and symptoms of adrenal insufficiency, but often, adrenal function in people who have these allergies is normal.

Many patients with cortisol allergies cannot tolerate cortisol replacement until they are desensitized to these allergies. . . .

=============================

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP & ADRENAL SUPPORT
-

Spindleshanks
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32556

I just don't see why it wouldn't do it one day and do it the next. I know allergies can develop but overnight?

Its doesn't surprise me really I could never imagined what treating this disease was going to bring my way. Wow it is crazy what we have to go through.

Spindleshanks
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32556

I will read the article later sounds very interesting.

Wow sorry you had to go through that. How scary! Good advice to share.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Yes, allergies can develop literally overnight.

Although, sometimes, there may have been earlier clues that went unrecognized. Often, no prior clues.

This is nothing new to the world of medicine. It is not uncommon. Whether Rx or food. More common, I think with a Rx, but it's happened with foods, too.

The thing is that you can't be sure just yet. But, the evidence is so strong that you could face - - in an mere instant - - a life-threatening emergency if you get near egg whites again, until this is figured out.

You cannot take that chance.

Not sure why this just hit me but do not lick envelopes to seal. Anything that touches your lips needs to be carefully screened, even lip gloss (and should be gluten-free).
-

fourwinds
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14114

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fourwinds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, could be eggs I guess?

I'm sure you know there is a difference between InterFase (which is the link Keebler posted) and InferFase Plus (it has EDTA in it)

I was unable to tolerate 1 tablet per day of InterFase Plus -- it literally caused me so much gut/stomach pain.

Could it have something to do with the EDTA?

Addendum: (added detail back in ..)

On February 26, 2009, Dr. Stephen Olmstead, Chief Science Officer for ProThera� and Klaire Labs�, gave a lecture to the Physicians� Roundtable meeting in Greenville, North Carolina on

gastrointestinal biofilm. The presentation was entitled:

Life on the Edge: The Clinical Implications of Gastrointestinal Biofilm
(Klaire Labs is the Manufacturer of InterFase and InterFase Plus)

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Life+on+the+edge:+the+clinical+implications+of+gastrointestinal+...-a0211561662

Also, documents his recommended implementation of InterFase and InterFase Plus products. Key: start on InterFase FIRST, low and slow, then change to InterFase Plus.

"A Protocol for Pathogenic Candida Gut Biofilm

A clinically useful protocol to eliminate gastrointestinal Candida biofilm is evolving.

Patients may experience significant "die-off" symptoms if therapy is initiated using high doses of enzymes or enzymes together with EDTA.

A guiding therapeutic principle is to "Start Low and Go Slow." Therapy should be initiated with 1 capsule twice a day of the antibiofilm enzyme

formulation. The enzymes should be taken on an empty stomach and contemporaneously with one or

more antifungals. The type and number of antifungals must be individualized. Enzyme dosing should be gradually ramped up based on tolerance.

A conservative approach is to increase the dose to 4 capsules twice daily over a month. After 1 month, the enzyme product alone should be

discontinued and antibiofilm therapy initiated with the enzyme plus EDTA formula. Again, dosing should begin low at 1 capsule twice daily and

titrated up to 4 capsules twice daily over 1 month. Antifungals should be continued throughout a 3-month treatment period. Pre- and probiotics

should be administered from the outset. They should be given with food and at a different time of day than the enzymes and antifungals. Again,

initiating therapy with low amounts and gradually increasing the dose will provide the greatest patient tolerance. Prebiotics should be started at a dose of 1 gram once a day and

gradually titrated up to 5 grams twice daily over 1 month. For treatment of Candida and lower-

intestinal dysbiosis, selection of a high-potency, multispecies probiotic with enteric coating or acid stabilization technology ensures

that high numbers of viable microorganisms arrive in the distal small bowel and colon. Probiotics should be initiated in the amount of 25 billion

CFU daily and increased over 3 to 4 weeks to 50 billion CFU twice a day. Patients with marked gut dysbiosis may benefit from higher doses on the

order of 200 to 400 billion CFU daily. This protocol is only a general guideline for eradicating gastrointestinal Candida biofilm,

and the recommendations must be adjusted to meet
individual needs.

[ 06-13-2012, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: fourwinds ]

Posts: 396 | From EAPennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Editing to add: fourwinds - you had posted a lot of detail and it just disappeared. Still, what you posted may be the key (independently or in addition to the egg thing).
---------------

fourwinds,

excellent catch - thanks so very much that.

original post: "took one interFase plus this am and 20 mins later . .. "

I had not seen the word "plus" as part of the supplement name. I had no idea there even was a "plus"

I thought it was just a little glitch of grammar, like, I took this AND this happened.

The EDTA makes a lot of difference.

Still, should see of that also has an egg white allergy with it but I'm just too toasted to go on.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Is THIS the product you took? So that we are all on the same page.

Yes, the EDTA could trigger a reaction but since your symptoms matched exactly to egg white allergy, it's good to be sure.

-------------------------

http://www.pureformulas.com/interfase-plus-120-capsules-by-klaire-labs.html

Interfase Plus 120 Vegetarian Capsules (F) by Klaire Labs

(in the list of ingredients):

Lysozyme (from egg white)

But, there is no "egg white" caution on this link. There is on the same "Plus" product at another site, though. The caution should be on each site that carries this - and on the label.
-

fourwinds
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14114

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fourwinds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@Keebler, Sorry... I thought maybe the information I posted was was overkill, so I took it out... but I've added it back in!
Posts: 396 | From EAPennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spindleshanks
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32556

Yes that's the one. Sorry. I need to get better at my posts. They never say what I am thinking.

Four winds. Thank you for bringing this up. Yes I am aware that it has EDTA. It could have been a mobilization of metals also? I didn't think about that but it can be very painful from what I have read.

So you must not take it anymore? Do you mind telling me what your md thought about your reaction?

Again thank you so much everyone, Keebler especially.

fourwinds
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14114

@spindleshanks...I no longer take it..(but I do take other enzyme combinations.

Two or three years ago, I implemented InterFase Plus into my protocol myself after reading up on biofilms and battling C. Pneumoniae
My doctor (at that time) didn't really input much into my treatment (other than misdiagnose me, but he DID provide me with combination ABX!)

I discovered this article while researching biofilms... all of this was before I knew I had Lyme and co's.

Quite a few on the CPNhelp.org site tried it and there are many comments about others' reactions there... fwiw

Spindleshanks
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32556

So from what you posted, fourwinds, is that it could have been a yeast die off.

Maybe because I have been on so many anti infectives now that these enzymes are hitting me harder because I have more candida to deal with?

I will not disregard the allergy info though, very important and much appreciated.

I have an allergy to the cold, yes you heard me right, the cold. So I carry an epi pen;)

fourwinds
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14114

@spindleshanks... it could very well be hitting yeast.

I'm pretty sure that is what happened with me. I also had a similar experienc when I tried just ONE or TWO pellets of Lauricidin.

Caren NV
Member # 37791

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caren NV   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. I'm a newbie. Doc started me on Interfase after dx'ing me w/egg white allergy. I didn't take it until she said I should- she didn't think that the amount of egg white would bother me. I can see how it could bother someone severely allergic though.

She's got me on desensitization for cortisol. I began that b4 Lyme dx. The bottle says to take 8/day, she has me on 2/day.

Is there a FAQ for newbies here? If so I'm missing it.

--------------------
Probably got Lyme in '96, just dxd w/Western Blot 6-6-12
JacktheDog and Prayers for Pets on Facebook

Posts: 46 | From NV | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caren NV
Member # 37791

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caren NV   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A faq for Lyme beginners- NOT how to use the page is what I meant.

--------------------
Probably got Lyme in '96, just dxd w/Western Blot 6-6-12
JacktheDog and Prayers for Pets on Facebook

Posts: 46 | From NV | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement