LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Does Igenex test dogs for lyme?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does Igenex test dogs for lyme?
supergirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for supergirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I come into contact with dogs all the time where I live. And, I have a friend who lives in a place where lyme is a risk. Her dog is a very moody guy! If anyone has any resources to share regarding diagnosis and treatment for dogs, please let me know!

--------------------
PHOENIX: mythical bird that rises from the ashes
July '09 got sick very quickly could barely get out of bed - ND diag lymes.. and the journey began
bite: unkown - no rash

Posts: 248 | From private | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mahalo
Member # 37775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mahalo         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
first of all the lyme shots for dogs work great. my vet says they only work 80% but i find it's much better than that, as i live completley surrounded by the woods where the ticks are all over, as are the deer, possum, racoon mice, and bears that carry them but in 10 years my dogs have never got lyme. they have however gotten anaplasma..dogs should be tested for coinfecetions even if they have the lyme shots which all dogs should have in these areas. the treatment is doxy..about 3 mg per lb. for 30-180 days. these meds can be gotten really cheap with no rx from quality-rx.com, 4rx.com, magicpharma.com . there are alot of other sites but only those 3 i can vouch for. everyone PLEASE vaccinate your dogs for lyme if you live in those type areas and upkeep every fall their bloodwork for coinfections.....i just treat my dogs with doxy every fall for 2 months as precaution because once they get the coinfections, the test will always show it anyway.
Posts: 38 | From USA | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My golden has had many bouts of lyme and anaplasmosis (same as erlichiosis in humans) like mahalo mentioned.

My golden does get the shots but she still get infected. We too live in a lyme hot spot. One day last year after a 2 hour hike we found 35 ticks crawling on her. That was from the nature preserve across the street from my house - no wonder we are a family of chronic lyme.

Our "LLDVM" does the 4DX on her to test for lyme and co.'s. It can show levels so we can compare from one tx to the next.

Her standard dose for lyme is Doxy @ 300 mg.s, a day. If she has the co-infection Anaplasmosis we bump it up to 400-500 mg.s a day. She is about 63 lbs.

You can see a dramatic change in her within 48 hours of starting abx.s.

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Breaking this up for easier reading for many here -

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mahalo:
[QB] first of all the lyme shots for dogs work great. my vet says they only work 80% but i find it's much better than that, as i live completley surrounded by the woods where the ticks are all over,

as are the deer, possum, racoon mice, and bears that carry them but in 10 years my dogs have never got lyme. they have however gotten anaplasma..

dogs should be tested for coinfecetions even if they have the lyme shots which all dogs should have in these areas. the treatment is doxy..about 3 mg per lb. for 30-180 days.

these meds can be gotten really cheap with no rx from quality-rx.com, 4rx.com, magicpharma.com . there are alot of other sites but only those 3 i can vouch for.

everyone PLEASE vaccinate your dogs for lyme if you live in those type areas and upkeep every fall their bloodwork for coinfections.....

i just treat my dogs with doxy every fall for 2 months as precaution because once they get the coinfections, the test will always show it anyway.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IGeneX is just for human testing. You can see a vet for pet testing.

Also see www.dogsandticks.com.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
your vet has good tests for Lyme.. they are better than the ones for humans

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baboosh44
Member # 36329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baboosh44         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder why the same technology isn't available for humans ? Is it because the FDA isn't as strict with guidelines on vet medicine.

I don't know that I could cope with that many ticks in my area. I freak out each time I think I see a tick anywhere (just one) "Tick Phobia"

Posts: 36 | From Arkansas | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maryinvt2
Member # 37822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maryinvt2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, if dogs can get lyme...what about cats. Our stray that we took in had ticks on him which the man of the house removed.

"Buddie" is a gentle cat. He is smart and well behaved. I was just wondering is they can get lyme too?

--------------------
If you could get up the courage to begin, you have the courage to succeed. David Visott ~

Posts: 56 | From VT | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mahalo
Member # 37775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mahalo         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for some reason cats don't get lyme. something interesting i learned last year while experimenting with ticks that animal owners may find useful..( i love animals and bugs im not a sadist but wanted for obvious reasons to see what i could learn about repelling ticks)

i took a couple of deer ticks and put them on a paper towel, i put 1 drop of 100% pure eucaleptus oil on both and they seemed to die instantly..

a moment later 1 moved a bit and i put another drop on it and it died...and the first one had died immediatly.

then i took a tick and put it into a drop of clorox..it did not die..so i suspended the tick into a cup of clorox...it still did not die..(i killed it right after that so it wouldnt suffer anymore)

so i took a small spray bottle and filled it with water and eucaleptus oil..enough that it smelled really strong, as i wanted to see if that would kill a tick.

when my white dog came back from playing i went to pull some ticks off and experiment some more and i saw a big one right away but by the time i got back with a tweezer i couldnt see it so i sprayed the combo i made on his neck where i saw the tick before and immediatly the tick came right up to the top. so did all the other ones. and every time i do it it still works..

hope thats useful as it makes a great repellent and if you try it..mix a tbsp oil into a few ounces water and spray your dogs neck and every time you will see the ticks come right out. havent had a chance to test it on myself though to see if it would make a tick come out of human skin. sorry so long but hope dog lovers find it useful but just keep the spray away from obvious places on the animal where it would burn them.

Posts: 38 | From USA | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supergirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for supergirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you so much for all of this important info. I am surrounded by dog lovers and I will pass this on immediately!

One more question: We do not have a lyme vet here. So, I guess we can just ask the vet to Rx the recommended abx, but a reg vet will know how to test for these infections.

thanks sooo much!

I can't imagine seeing 30 something ticks on my dog! Hang in there - we are in the middle of a horrible injustice but we are determined and we have many llmd's who support us! The truth will come out because we will make sure of it and we are recovering...

--------------------
July '09 got sick very quickly could barely get out of bed - ND diag lymes.. and the journey began

Posts: 248 | From private | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Cats do get Lyme, but not as often as dogs because they groom themselves and clean off the ticks. A cat can also become lethargic, lose its appetite, get eye symptoms, etc.
desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know what's interesting....

Dogs do not seem to herx. I will see significant improvement in my dogs lethergy and lameness/stiffness in 24-48 hours after her first dose.

She never seems to get worse before getting better. Maybe dogs have a different "detox pathway" then we do.

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mahalo
Member # 37775

@robin123:you are right; i stand corrected. my vet told me cats couldnt get it..i just called my other vet to ask and he said yes.,which is amazing because my cats as far as i know never had it and i don't think there is any area on the globe more infested than my land the dogs are trained to allow the deer to come right up to the house( i keep several acres of marsh for the deer) thats scary and from now on i'll treat the cats with doxy as well each fall. i just figured the bears and the deer didn't get it either and i always wondered why.

@supergirl..good luck getting the vet to prescribe abx..its as hard as finding a human dr. to give abx..which is why i wrote suggested the 3 online pharmacies to get meds with no rx..the 3 i mentioned are very reliable although there are many more i can only personally vouch for those 3. doxy is incredibly cheap and comes blister packed with exp dates so i always keep a bunch. the dose for dogs is 2-5 mg per lb. 1-6 months.

and alot of people think revolution is good enough ., but it does not kill ticks, just fleas and mites..and frontline kills them but in can take 24-48 hours so its more than enough time for them to get lyme so i hope everyone vaccinates their dogs ..its so sad when i see so many people here have to put their dogs and puppies to sleep because they got lyme and by the time they figure it out its too late to cure them.

terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will this eucaleptus spray work on human skin? I assume it is safe but maybe not.
Posts: 832 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mahalo
Member # 37775

you can put it on your skin straight or diluted. i used to spray it on myself as mosquito repellent but it doesnt work. ticks hate it though.
Robin123
Member # 9197

Some people are misting their dogs' fur with Orange Guard for added protection. I also use it as my tick repellent, on clothing and immediate ground area. Put a little bit in a spray bottle, fill up with water.
terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there a difference between pet-grade doxy and human-grade doxy?

Can we use this stuff if we get a tick bite and can't get treatment? Since these provided websites don't require an rx I am wondering if it is an option.

Posts: 832 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

From what I understanad there is not a difference.

My Vet has allowed me to start my dog on my Doxy after her getting a positive test result - that was when I could not get to the clinic to pick up her meds.

So yes my dog and I have shared Doxy.

Over the past 6 years I have had a much easier time getting abx.s for my dog then for myself. In fact I never had any problems getting Doxy for her. Guess it depends on the vet.

mahalo
Member # 37775

the meds these websites sell are fine ..they are from india..if you look at the origional bottle that your meds come from they often will say mumbai..same stuff but what these sites sell are all blister packed and you can verify the pharmaceutical companies by checking the stock market as most of them are traded companies. i use them often. the doxy the vet sells is basically the same xcpt when my vet gives it to me its in tablets. i use the caps i get online now and keep tons of all kinds of abx from them in the house for people and pets. just take the same precautions as yo would with any med that your dr. gives you and be careful for allergic reactions. if you wrap the caps in a peice of cheese the dogs my dogs take it right away.
supergirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26936

the eucalyptis is fascinating! keep those experiments coming - I love it, too.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement