LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Scary new symptom-Muscle pain

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scary new symptom-Muscle pain
dsrtldy
Member # 37062

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dsrtldy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, everything from my scalp to my toes hurts -my GP did labs and everything was normal. How can I feel so horrible and everything be normal?

[confused]

[ 10-07-2012, 07:44 AM: Message edited by: dsrtldy ]

Posts: 29 | From dreamland.. | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most common cause of this in a lyme patient is magnesium deficiency. You are probably not taking enough mag yet or your mag is poorly absorbed because of the type of mag it is. Many forms of mag are poorly absorbed, especially the cheaper pills you can buy.

The blood test you had will not reveal a magnesium deficiency. You have to have a special, expensive test to show it. Much easier and cheaper just to take lots of magnesium and see if this problem goes away.

Here are some quotes from Burrascano:

"Magnesium deficiency is very often present and quite severe. Hyperreflexia, muscle twitches, myocardial irritability, poor stamina and recurrent tight muscle spasms are clues to this deficiency. Magnesium is predominantly an intracellular ion, so blood level testing is of little value. Oral preparations are acceptable for maintenance, but those with severe deficiencies need additional, parenteral dosing: 1 gram IV or IM at least once a week until neuromuscular irritability has cleared." (p. 6)

"6. MAGNESIUM (required)
Magnesium supplementation is very helpful for the tremors, twitches, cramps, muscle soreness, heart skips and weakness. It may also help in energy level and cognition. The best source is magnesium L-lactate dehydrate (�Mag-tab SR�, sold by Niche Pharmaceuticals: 1-800-677-0355, and available at Wal-Mart). DO NOT rely on �cal-mag�, calcium plus magnesium combination tablets, as they are not well absorbed. Take at
least one tablet twice daily. Higher doses increase the benefit and should be tried, but may cause diarrhea. In some cases, intramuscular or intravenous doses may be necessary." (page 28)

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Many, many people have come on this site over the years complaining of muscle cramps and spasms, and nearly all of them were surprised when they took lots of mag and the symptoms went away in a few days.

So, get the good mag that Burrascano recommends (Mag-tab SR) and take about 4 per day, spaced out over the day or in 2 doses of 2 each. WalMart should have them.

Bet you will be back in about 4 days saying the problem is resolved.

Lyme makes us deficient in magnesium. So, we have to take lots of it as long as we have this illness.

Here is a quote from "The Lyme Disease Solution" page 121:

"The usual serum magnesium level is of little value because the vast majority of magnesium is inside of cells. Better tests would be red blood cell magnesium or ionized magnesium and these are the ones you should request."

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When the soles of your feet hurt, that is a classic symptom of bartonella. Read it in Burrascano, page 24:

"Indicators of BLO [bartonella-like organism] infection include CNS symptoms out of proportion to the other systemic symptoms of chronic Lyme. There seems to be an increased irritability to the CNS, with agitation, anxiety, insomnia, and even seizures, in addition to other unusually strong symptoms of encephalitis, such as cognitive deficits and confusion. Other key symptoms may include gastritis, lower abdominal pain (mesenteric adenitis), sore soles, especially in the AM, tender subcutaneous nodules along the extremities, and red rashes. These rashes may have the appearance of red streaks like stretch marks that do not follow skin planes, spider veins, or red papular eruptions. Lymph nodes may be enlarged and the throat can be sore."

I had a few episodes of this, and it was very difficult to walk.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dsrtldy
Member # 37062

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dsrtldy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I appreciate all your input TF-you are a great source of information and inspiration.. especially when i can barely think straight rightnow. It's soo distressing.

I have a lot of tummy troubles (before I was diagnosed) so ... I wonder which Mag is best absorbed and easy on the tummy?

Hugs,
dsrtldy

Posts: 29 | From dreamland.. | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

You want to get the MagTab SR. Mag is easy on the stomach.

If you take too much, you can get diarhhea, but that isn't going to happen, believe me. Diarhhea is a sign that the bowels are emptying too frequently. So, if you really mean stomach ("tummy") and not intestines, you don't have to worry about stomach trouble with mag.

Maybe if you took 10 at a time, but otherwise it won't happen because this is a sustained release (SR) magnesium, so it will be fine.

mahalo
Member # 37775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mahalo         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YOU HAVE BARTONELLA.
Posts: 38 | From USA | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mahalo
Member # 37775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mahalo         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the spasms are classic bart along with the soles of the feet;....you must get to a lyme dr. you have exact same symptoms i had..the cramping spasms and eyes...the stomach problems..BARTONELLA. BARTONELLA BARTONELLA!!! you sound like your reciting a list of my symptoms 2 years ago.
Posts: 38 | From USA | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mahalo what meds worked for you?
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mahalo
Member # 37775

@ellen..there are so many different strains of bart and there is no 1 recipe for everyone. i have use biaxin xl, rifampin, levaquin, bactrim, zith, and combinations of those with minocycline, or doxy.. its a tough bacteria. you must be persistant with abx. good luck!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement