LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » softdrinks, sugar and lyme??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: softdrinks, sugar and lyme??
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am positive my one sister has lyme. the one with rheumatoid arthritis.

she drinks at least a 2 litre bottle of mountain dew every day.

i've tried to talk her out of this but she says she has given up so much in her life that this is one thing she will never do.

i'm sure that all this sugar is killing her but all she says is so what, what's worse than living with ra??

so my question is this? do you know anybody that still drinks cokes, or softdrinks or something?

i don't.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Send her a copy of The Arthritis Cure. I'm sure it addresses the harmfulness of sugar.

OH... I guess you won't want to be "burned" again by sending something to an ungrateful person.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=the+arthritis+cure&sts=t&x=38&y=13

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymedin2010
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sister was deathly sick for 4 months (after being bit by a tick) and got better by just diet alone . It just happend that she was able to get 1 month of Doxy at the end where she felt better anyway.

She had so many symptoms before including inflamed and painful joints, blurry and white vision, sound sensitivity, nausea and vomiting. After she got better she started school, was so stressed, ate candy bars and junk food. She had gained 25 pnds or so in the process.

The only symptoms she had remained with was twitching in various parts of her body. She did not get any exacerbations or new symptoms with her sugar/carb intake.

I was sick and did not know it for years. I was a sugar and carb junky for years and one point gained a lot of weight. It never affected any of my mild symptoms, except getting even more tired more often.

My daughter and a few of my nieces were bit and have symptoms. They also cannot keep away from sugar and it does not affect their symptoms.

I think it has to do with how ones body handles the sugar and what organisms you are mostly affected by, that can fully take advantage of high sugar loads.

[ 06-25-2012, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: Lymedin2010 ]

Posts: 2087 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes many drink soft drinks.
sick

Posts: 538 | From Iowa | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would also be worried about the bromine in the Mountain Dew. Bromine is used instead of chlorine in hot tubs. It's similar to flouride. It's a poison, and is in Mountain Dew.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emla999/Lyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emla999/Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well for what it's worth, for many years I avoided eating or drinking things that had added sugar in them because I thought that eating sugar was bad for my health and that it was somehow feeding the pathogens within my body and causing those pathogens to proliferate.

But last year I deliberately started to eat more sugar and more carbohydrates in general and at first I felt worse but then I started to feel better.... ALOT better! And many of my health problems have improved while eating alot more sugar and carbs than I used to consume.

Supposedly, for some people, eating more carbohydrates (sugar included) will cause their body temperature to increase and it may also cause an increase in their metabolism and thus your body functions optimally again and then your body is able to fight off pathogens such as bacteria, viruses and fungi more easily.

By the way, I have also reduced my consumption of watery foods and beverages such as water, fruit juice, vegetable juice, tea and etc.. I also now eat a little more salt than I used to. So, this change may also play a role in my improvements.

But for me, consuming more sugar has seemed to have actually improved my health.

Posts: 1223 | From U.S.A | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by randibear:

she drinks at least a 2 litre bottle of mountain dew every day.

Mountain Dew is high in caffeine.
When the adrenal glands are not working well, the caffeine helps, at least for a while.

Another person here said that she drank cola all day long to help her function when she was employed.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supergirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for supergirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sugar and carbs which are also sugar destroy our immune system. it's my understanding that the stimulant effects of sugar may mask what's really going on in the body. sugar is highly addictive.

i've been in the process of getting off sugars for the past 3 years. i have finally done it! I am slowly starting to notice a real shift in progress.

it is interesting that I have craved sugar so much since getting sick with lyme. now, I don't.

--------------------
PHOENIX: mythical bird that rises from the ashes
July '09 got sick very quickly could barely get out of bed - ND diag lymes.. and the journey began
bite: unkown - no rash

Posts: 248 | From private | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement