LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » adrenal exaustion?/ MEDS??other changes at end of thread HELP??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: adrenal exaustion?/ MEDS??other changes at end of thread HELP??
nonna05
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is Cortef OK to take at a very low Dose??

Is it a steroid ,,but at low dose it doesn't suppress imun??

Are there other meds that help work?

DHEA is not doing a thing nor is preg.sp?..

..the adrenal and focus factor.....may be two different things ..Dr S talks about new med ...but it's to get up

Or is it too hard on body to try if it's not ready//

Doc say's it's not parasites and not fungal....

[ 07-31-2012, 03:00 AM: Message edited by: nonna05 ]

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Cortef - yes, at VERY low dose, it is fine for those with lyme, although not all do fine with it. Yet some say it's saved the day.

Detail in link below.

I have questions about your other questions?

What is "preg.sp"

DHEA, are you saying or asking if/that DHEA not doing a thing?

DHEA is VERY important. See what Wilson says about it below.

LINK? If you have a parent company link to exact product & ingredient list "the adrenal and focus factor" we can see the ingredients and better comment.

I'm not sure which doctor says (symptoms of exhaustion) are not CAUSED by - or RELATED to? parasites or fungal. Well, for anyone with lyme and anyone on antibiotics, both are ongoing concerns that do need addressed but, I assume, your doctor means that is not ALL or the ROOT of the problem as he see it?

So, then, you are looking for adrenal support. Wise move, regardless of what all else is going on.

-------------------

Articles and books here go into great detail and some posts can also answer your questions here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP & ADRENAL SUPPORT
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
koo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for koo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent question nonna, I have been wondering this myself.

DHEA did nothing for me as well.

I think after 15 months of treatment my HPA axis is SLOWLY, and I mean slowly, recovering on its own. My concern is that if I do Cortef, my adrenals won't learn to start working on their own properly again, assuming they ever will, ha!

I will be curious to see what the responses are to your question.

Posts: 478 | From Third Coast | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
nonna,

how are you doing with the heat and smoke out there? I'm sure the heat is all over your state but I hope you are out of the path of smoke (and especially wildfire).

---------
Clarifying my response to DHEA, I suppose I was answering more on the lines that DHEA is important. However, the dose range is very narrow and different for men and women.

AND - the supplement, itself, may or may not have much effect on some of us. I find that the herbal adaoptogen supplements work far better for me than any of the individual products that are made in the lab and come as a fine white powder.

My body just seems to work better with the food sources, the nutrient-rich herbs.

Ashwaganda is the best one to begin with, I think.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
koo,

the idea with LOW DOSE Cortef is that it helps the adrenals not have to struggle so, giving them a rest to rejunvenate.

It is a sub-clinical dose and, therefore, will not cause dependency. Wilson explains how this works in his book at that thread.

Still, there are various ways but some say, even with all the other adrenal support in the world and good lyme/TBD treatment that they required LOW DOSE cortef to really see any improvement in this area.

We also have to consider that with exhausted adrenals, it can be nearly impossible to fight infection.

Still, individual reaction varies.

koo, You might try RHODIOLA.

(But not you, nonna - that is likely a bit too stimulating to just start out with - unless part of an overall formula.)
-

nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
making sure cortef won't hurt me like steroid shots did...
dhea ,been taking it for 9 month's ,noticed nothing,, nor with pregnalone,,?sp?

this is to see if something can get past adrenal exhaustion as being a piece of why not moving about.

i'm on so many meds i should feel stronger,, i'm just fatigued to the max, weak...not an ounce of physical motivation,,plenty of mental motivation...

people say get out and walk,your body can't lay there that long...

i'd be doing the jig if i could

i was saying i didn't test positive for parasites or fungas....
been taking ashwaganda for month's
what is hpa axis?

I know this illness kicks b---...just that prior to last big crash,,,if i got on the right med ,i could come around a bit and do a few things..
that is so few and far between and not nearly as functional

a couple of people said mepron took 6 plus month's and shots a few months also

i had set back with the one med change,but you'd think that would have worked itself out by now.

I know missing the grandkids isn't helping,but I don't think it's hurting,,it's motivation to get going

i mentioned to doc that it feels like a hand is just holding me back/down......
sorry about the typing, in bed ,one finger and leaning on left side that hurts

i

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cortef did nothing for me. I have had much better results with real food supplements, including Maca, and Standard process products. But I am not out of the woods yet.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
koo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for koo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nonna, HPA axis is the hypothalamus/pituitary/adrenal axis. I think somewhere around page 4 of Dr. B's guidelines he addresses this specifically.

In fact, even prior to dx a friend suggested I may have Lyme. I said pfft. She sent me links, including Dr. B's, and I almost fell out of my chair. That was me!

My whole HPA axis was out of whack. My body temperature plummeted, I did not have an appropriate adrenal stress response, my human growth hormone was practically non-existant. There were (are) a host of other symptoms related to this.

This eventually led to a brain MRI to look for a pituitary tumor. No tumor but plenty of white matter lesions.

I am hopeful the axis can recover. My body temp is finally starting to come back up. This is the first summer I have been hot and miserable (appropriately) since 2008.

Posts: 478 | From Third Coast | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

I have the low body temp....usual is 65.7-66,4

I totally forgot to ask about humane growth hormone,,Is that a supplement you can purchase..

I'm thinking after I start with
h this other stuff

if needed /as I also set appts.

So cortef is not a steroid problem if low dose

what does anybody know about aderall sp?

faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could not tolerate even a low dose of cortef.

I do take ashwaganda, pregnenolone to help with adrenals. Also, just trying licorice tea and love the taste!

Nonna050- is the fire close to you?

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

No fire is not close ..I'm in the center of metro area..fires are 45 minutes either way..

Smoke is getting around though.Thanks for asking

Only fire here is a girl wanting her body and mind back [Wink]

Faithfull what happened with cortef and I think I have to stay away from Licorice cause my blood presure pops around depending on pain or co's acting up.

What about adreall stuff,low,low dose...help or no?

And how do you get human growth hormone?

I think I saw Suzanne Somer say she uses it for adrenal problems

koo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30462

How do you get human growth hormone? Heck if I know. It is pricey and unless you have a reading of zero, good luck getting insurance to cover it. I think when I had mine tested back in 2010 the range was 0.03 - 10. I was 0.06. My IM MD thought that was too low.

I'm sure there are some members on this board who have done HGH. In the grand scheme of things with Lyme it's probably like spitting on a fire to put it out.

Also, how long have you been treating Lyme?

I think the HPA axis can begin to restore itself but you definitely have to put on your patience cap as it is a slow process.

nonna05
Member # 33557

treating lyme w/LLMD 10 month's.

Treated with abx's by myself and doctor for infection unknown for 4 years...
sick 5 1/2 to 7 years with a couple other markers

Is Corteff a steroid,,,,that's when I got so much worse Spring/Summer 2010 when Infectious Disease doc and RA doc gave me Steroid shots for back and hips,,,,,

All the while I'm asking them to check for parsites and shypillis sp?..plus I had 2 positives for Brucellosis ,they discounted,,,So the just gave the shots and I went from semi-functional to real bad 8 hours after last set ,

One year later,same week I finally got diagnosed with LD ,my body did a total crash and I've been fighting since, bed 90% of time.
4th protocol since Sept with LLMD.

I'm told or read here cyst busters are needed..and I'm asking if low dose Cortef is OK...also maybe aderall ,,any thing to get past this feeling of a lead suit/hand holding me down,,and focus,,

It's so bad ,I've asked several times exactly how to take meds ,supp, binders,prodiotics ,eat ..and people have tried to help..
I finally put a request in general for prayer about how my brain s just not clear 100% about that.

I've even had it written down by doc and he forgot part of it...

I don't want to take to much/to little or cross one thing out by another....and then binders to take this sluge out..

AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AuntyLynn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nonna -
Have you started with the Brewers/nut'l YEAST yet? This could be a big help for your adrenals! High B vits and lots of natural amino acids and minerals!

I was wondering about the fires out there! Glad to hear you are in a "safe zone" for the moment!

Here's an interesting link for HGH with some source information and prices.

http://www.humangrowthhormone.net/

I had always understood that one should use this with caution, and under doctor's supervision, so it's somewhat surprising to see it being used as a part of Natural Hormone Therapy.

There's an excellent film linked on the public TV websites (for free viewing) that documents how the Eastern Germans gave their female Olympic athletes HGH, and some of the side effects they eventually experienced. It's called:

"Doping for Gold"

I saw it at my local public tv website which is: www.thirteen.org

I highly recommend you see the film.

Meanwhile, I'd recommend lots of B vits and the BEST source is the YEAST! Keep up the good work Nonna - Knowledge is Power!

Posts: 1432 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AuntyLynn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait - You tested POSITIVE for Brucellosis and no one did anything about it?? Time to rewind!

Who is your doctor and IS HE/SHE an LLMD??

I know I have asked this question before, but I never seem to get an answer!

Posts: 1432 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a prescription for adderal and my LLMD says it is okay, but if you even have a tiny headache, the adderal makes it worse.

Most days I can't take it. Treating Babesia, Bart and Ehrlicia with headaches on many days or at the beginning of one all the time.

Adderal does get you up and moving and clears up the head a little.

--------------------
Faithful

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OtterJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OtterJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nonna, part of my pituitary stopped working 2 years after my tick bit and I take cortef, I HAVE to take cortef because my pituitary can't signal my adrenals to make cortisol, a necesaary hormone. My pituitary can't signal my thyroid and all of my sex hormones are gone due to the same thing. Weirdly enough, Growth hormone is fine. All of these belong to the anterior pituitary. My posterior pituitary is functioning fine. I had white matter lesions that are resolved, and my pituitary looks fine on MRI, so no reason for it not to work. Cortef is hydrocortisone and does not persist in the body like steroids like prednisone which is something you got in your shot from your RA. If your pituitary is fine, ie the HPA axis, take the low dose Cortef. I think lyme causes a lot more pituitary problems than anyone in the Infectious Disease camp cares to admit. I'd like to see someone do a true medical research topic on this.
Posts: 482 | From Oregon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

I forgot to mention that for a few years I've had a small mass on one of my adrenal glands ,that everybody just ignores....

Aunty ,,I've asked 4 times for stuff to make drink,,,finally I ordered Alive powder and I5 amino Acids to make a drink ,but still need that help,,,one about every 4 days if I look like he might have to take me to ER...
[Mad]

He just walked in still and still no for ingredients and real strong liquid probiotic drink...I asked for..All On my dime ..

I can't wait for a turn for the better and just do this stuff..

I don't think this helps, me heal !

I have LLMD now since diagnosed last mid Aug....

Brucellosis was 09 years before and a pulmonary doc kept me on zith or doxy or rifampin trying to get Kaiser Infectious disease guy's to put me on IV and 2 ABX's

.They wouldn't ,then tried to say I never had it, my doc said no way 2 positives in a row you've been exposed..

Then ID doc wanted to treat for latent TB with rifampin..instead,,

,It was such a mess .my Smart doc was so upset cause he knew I was sick and he just kept under the wire with ABX"S.

Then I changed insurance to find REAL doctors .

First thing besides mentioning Brucellosis was asking for Syhp sp? test and malaria ,In two years and 10 of thousands $$$$ on MRI, Spinal tap, blood work,,ct;'s hospital twice,
they never tested me for those,,, I thought that would be basic one-o-one,

Especially all the places I've been.

It took 5 times asking to get him to admit they never did those checks.

So I just keep trying and fighting, but I don't want to take anything that will set me back..

Even so small as that Abx I didn't want to take and complied ..4 days had to stop and still trying to get back what was lost.

So Cortef is OK,, Aderall once in a while..maybe I should take 2 and get to Whole foods and buy a little fridge from Amazon for my room...oh and then the mini blender [dizzy] [Big Grin]

Well that wore me out...see ya, Nonna

Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, with a mass on the adrenals, you may have too much cortisol...that may cause fatigue and keep you bedridden too!

Sounds like you need to see a really, really smart Endocrinologist who knows about adrenal stuff and not just Diabetes (the usual thing Endo's treat).

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
nonna,

you say: ". . . Aderall once in a while . . .

maybe I should take 2 ?" (end quote)

Adderall can absolutely destroy your adrenals. I'm sorry that whoever prescribed that for you did not tell you of the risks.

But if you take that, it can't just be stopped.

I know it seems like the magic bullet for some much desired energy but, Whoa, Nelly. This is very dangerous territory for someone with adrenal fatigue.

Adderall is a powerful amphetamine. That's speed. Sorry that something that gives energy can turn out to clobber the very system your body needs to make good energy.

It is very stressful to the entire endocrine system - can cause racing of the heart and possibly impair other organs. Very addictive and very hard to get off of it. Medical guidance would be needed.

Those with lyme are to even avoid caffeine due to its stimulating effects. Adderall is way more stimulating than coffee.

Be sure your LLMD is aware of how you use this and that will better help him figure out how to help your adrenals.

Mixing Cortef and Adderall could be very risky.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/adderall-rise-mothers/story?id=16622475

Stepping Out of Adderall's Shadow

ABC News NIGHTLINE - June 26, 2012

Five Minute Video
-

jer69
Member # 34046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jer69   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I took low dose cortef 5mgs in the morning. I felt an instant serge in energy but then I would plummet in the evenings to the point of fainting. Plus I felt so so sick- like some virus or bacteria in me was raging. For me Cortef was quite a positive and a negative. I do think even in small doses that it can suppress certain parts of ones immune system- and such a diverse system it is. j

--------------------
jeremy

Posts: 71 | From new york city | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

Wow there's another barely try situation,,Cortef at half tab and see what happens for a few days

The ritalin stuff is left over fron other insurance and a 5 yearold dose,,so when I took it before ,it was like once in a blue moon if I had to focus,,,

That's before Lyme diagnoses so maybe later or just not,, Dr S ,mentioned a new drug that has fewer side affects ,,in his book ,, I just couldn't remember name at doc appt..

I know Six said fatigue was last to go.....

It's just that I need better assistance to help fight,,,and the Rainbow didn't stop here..

faithful777
Member # 22872

I take adderal once in a while so it doesn't have to be an addictive drug. LLMD says it is okay and my addrenals are getting better. There were times I took it for a month and just weaned off the dose for a while. I never took more than 5 mg at a time.

Some doctors believe if you don't support the addrenals with something, you are beating a dead horse with the body continually asking for support. Others think the addrenals will never work on their own if you give them cortisol. Different opinions everywhere. You will just have to try one.

Cortef made me feel sick. It takes time to bring up the adrenals. Pregnenolone and ashwaganda did that over time for me along with finding ways to destress. You might want to see if your thyroid is functioning. All this is tied together. Lyme throws off all of these functions plus hormones.

--------------------
Faithful

jer69
Member # 34046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jer69   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone with severe illness should go into the process of taking Cortef understanding there are risks and specifically possible immune system suppression. Many people I have met and spoken to have mentioned this.

Somehow some people on these boards propagate the myth that Cortef is natural and bio-identical- this is simply not the case. j

--------------------
jeremy

Posts: 71 | From new york city | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

This is what I'm trying to make sure of....that it doesn't ruin what's left .like steroid for pain shots did///

jeremy can you explain more?
Faithful it made you sick, How????

The two suggestions were in DR S's book

Keebler,when we mentioned Adrerrall, it was at a dose for a 5 year old..

So being a BIG girl would it still be a problem?

Faithful I've been on Pregnenolone and ashwaganda for over 9 month's

I feel like the Tin Man all rusted up with the flu, mono and early pneumonia,,,,that's without the GI graphics

faithful777
Member # 22872

The pregnenolone and ashwaganda take a while to work. They help the body fix itself and it is not an overnight thing. After two years on pregnenolone and 18 months on ashwaganda, my addrenals are getting better.

You also have to realize, that I didn't start treating the Lyme and coinfections until this past November. So I had a lot going on that was affecting the adrenals including low thyroid.

Cortef made me sick to my stomach. I just felt off and not well while taking it. At the time, Dr. J had prescribed it.

I have also done the bio-identical cortisol before without any improvement. Might be I didn't take it long enough. The bio-identical cortisol didn't make me feel ill, but it is expensive.

I am finding that none of the problems that come with Lyme get fixed quickly. You have to realize that these functions have been off for a long time. Everything is slow to come back to what I would consider normal.

I just started rifing and I am going to add some of the Buhner herbals to what I am taking. I will be in Colorado on the 24th and don't want to be a sickie on vacation.

--------------------
Faithful

nonna05
Member # 33557

jeremy ,any chance to clarify?????

I do not want to go one step backwards

nonna05
Member # 33557

Faithful how's it looking for your trip?/ So cute pregnenlone and ashwaganda " take a while" to work,,,2 years /18 months...

You are so much more patient than me..that is a huge amount of time to me.

I have been taking both for 10 month's,

So far my morning's, lately, have started around 5 pm so I haven't taken much, cortef

Still have that steroid nag in the back of my mind, but know I have to get out of this bed and room . I just don't want to hurt or setback any progress.

Jeremy are you around on this question?

Keebler , I think I asked if a person should stay on other support for adrenals ,even if trying low dose Cortef?? Like ADR, Core, Adrecore. and the two above...

Don't want to go backwards..Also 4 reviews of the mass on adrenal gland say that this is not unusual and it "probably not causing any issues"

Only one doctor in urgent care asked if they did a biopsy or anything... Nope

Regular PC, 2 Endo, one bladder /kidney doc.
and a doc in hospital for a gut virus that went around 1 1/2 years ago..

So what else can I do?

Sound familiar?????

[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

nonna05
Member # 33557

Faithful ,sorry I didn't read the whole thing before my PM...
Keebler , maybe 20 generic ,ritalin in 4 years,, and one to two aderall in a month .

It kinda doesn't feel right, I had just hoped it would get me past weak/fatigue..

I was awake longer and on phone a bit more ,but body still dull as a door=nail..

Bummer

I can't get to library...so I hope some of the wilson info is on here..
I tried looking for DR. on site for LLmd/Endo

Zero...

faithful777
Member # 22872

Nonna, also treating thyroid issues (hypo) with the adrenals and doing bio identical hormones. All work together. Abx affects all that too.

Lyme affects all those functions. Yes, it is hard to find the balance but you have to keep trying. I don't know if I have patience. I just know I am not going to stay this way. I will go down fighting!!!!

--------------------
Faithful

Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nonna, why haven't they removed the mass on your adrenal gland?

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
"4 reviews of the mass on adrenal gland say that this is not unusual and it "probably not causing any issues" (end quote)

---------------------
nonna,

in all the adrenal questions you've posted, I don't ever recall that very important detail about the mass on your adrenal gland.

Now, sometimes such growth on the adrenal may not be serious but they can certainly change a lot about the body.

That probably changes everything regarding what you are trying to achieve with this and that supplement.

Self treating is not an option here. You need professional guidance. They can guide you with the support measure for YOUR body, at THIS time, under THESE circumstances.

Still, the Wilson book is essential reading for many reasons.

Just because some doctors did not seem concerned, well, we all know that not all doctors can even have the capacity to deal with everything.

I hope your LLMD knows about this "mass" and has advised you. The questions you ask, while good questions and certainly it's understandable that you want to know what YOU can do - well, whatever you do MUST be guided by a good doctor.

If your LLMD has not been informed about this, please be sure he is as it's really important. If he has and he's not too concerned, it may be that the "mass" is within reason and just needs to be checked now and then.

If four different reviews (at four different times, I presume) indicate this needs only to be watched, that's one thing but your LLMD really still needs to weigh in on this.

And, I'm not so sure it's okay to just leave this be. It may be but it could certainly be what is driving your body to exhaustion now.

So, ANYTHING you do should be guided by your LLMD. We are not doctors here.

If he is not well versed in the adjunct care, find someone else who can help with that -- some one who is ILADS-educated and lyme litertate, of course.

I know we all have to do so much of our own research and learning and there are many ways we can mix and match with trial of certain supplements and do so safely.

It's just that with the adrenal condition that you have - you should not have to be on your own to figure this out. You need a LL doctor to help you. If he can't, find out what he suggests.

It should get easier when you can have a professional instruct you. And, still, Wilson's book is a huge help to understanding so much about how the adrenal work.
-

nonna05
Member # 33557

Yep!! I brought it up, showed CT reports etc...Still doesn't seem to red flag anybody but me... (now you [Wink]

I did a blood test for some hormones etc and they had me go in "early for the cortisone? test"

Like as if getting somewhere by 8 was going to make a difference on the test. I even asked since my day's are nights and my nights are days ,
Shouldn't I go in later to test levels...Ignored

! 1/2 years ago I even did the 24 hour urine test and another one for 1/2 reg .catch and 1/2 after some pills to see what it does.

I'm telling you it's like Alice in Wonderland....A couple have done natural support, most say just a bit off ,if at all.

It's very much like the fight to finally get diagnosed with LD..

One doctor said even if there was a small problem , they would usually take it out and then thing's would be much more difficult.. That lot's of people have these small masses,

Weird because every-time a CT is read the report Say's small ,not changing in size much ,BUT should be followed up on...

Then I'm just forgotten, I'll try several times to draw attention and it just gets dropped,

If I knew of a good Endo doc here I would try..

I just tried a Cardio doc and a pulm doc...to check on small symptom's that come and go...

The minute The meds are brought up or a difficult infection. I become assembly line.

Back to just wondering where and what to do.

I swear I have the hardest time finding doctor's that think outside of the box or top ten....issues that most have.

I have been trying with this for years off and on..

This medical system is so messed up..

I don't want to have a major issue to rise up just to get this resolved/figured out/taken care of...
It's just like the Lyme issue....Over 30 doctors and I finally (GOD) thought to be checked through guess work..

Sorry , need to go cry, which I hate,

It's just SOOOO hard when you feel this bad and have tried so hard and even handed them the information/symptom's /possibilities on a silver platter..so to speak..

OK so I guess Wilson's book.....

I just bought 4 more books on Lyme.
I couldn't believe one doctor could call his a book.

It was a page or two of info ,then pages of references and other research/med papers etc...

Worthless and he is WELL known..
Sorry,,,,my hormones must be not acting up

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've taken 10mg of cortef for the past 10 yrs. I used to take human growth hormone. Felt good on it. Very expensive if you don't have good insurance.....and many insurances won't pay for it.

I would be leary of the stimulants like Adderall.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

anybody else about Cortef and Lyme??

Are you on it?

Is it like a steroid at 5mg..

Did it help fatigue
I tried a few.. seems to let me WISH I was doing more..but still just mushy ,in bed, thinking a bit more or making an extra call ..then later feel like sledge hammer fatigue/or sleep..But that happens so many days I gave up counting

What doe it fell like if you're getting further along in treatment?

is it so mild your barely notice?

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We explained this to you about one month ago. I remember responding.

I hope your memory is not THAT bad! [Wink]

nonna....

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/3/30714?#000006

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

TuTu.. Sorry I don't see how this relates to this question about Cortef or how it feels when thing's are turning for the better.

What did you guy's explain to me from that link you marked here.

One was a post about finding a person in Colo.
The other about IV info..

That isn't what this was about

It's good to know you take it and it's not like a steroid to you,,,Want to know what others have tried or felt..
Like trazadone , It didn't settle with me well, but I saw you took it and gave it another try.

That and a couple other changes have given me a few day's here and there where I sleep a little over 2-3 hours,

Which helps, because it was either very short .or totally zapped for a day..

I went to western/holistic clinic, mostly for breast check, she has written a book .. I've had a lump removed in May 2009.

She knows a lot more about LD since I used to go to them to try and find answer and she found out latter that I was diagnosed.

So now they support LD treatment

I asked about Cortef, off hand, she just said it's a steroid ,period.

We had already had an hour visit so nothing else was said.

She knows a lot about Bio-indentical hormones...

we were trying to figure out the extreme fatigue issue,, to see if anything was missed.

SO <WHO TAKES CORTEF< HAS LYME AND IS SURE

IT"S NOT HURTING PROGRESS?HEALING
[Eek!]

[Roll Eyes]

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by nonna05:
TuTu.. Sorry I don't see how this relates to this question about Cortef or how it feels when thing's are turning for the better.

What did you guy's explain to me from that link you marked here.

One was a post about finding a person in Colo.
The other about IV info..

That isn't what this was about

-
I posted it because I helped you find the information on him and you never responded. I thought maybe you had forgotten about it.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

how's this one?

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/118751#000003

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

nonna05
Member # 33557

TuTu ,Thanks,,I thought I responded to you finding the missing member,,,I just deleted my PM ,,so couldn't check..Firgure they are gone..even though my contact was recent..must have been a cross over

ANYWAY'

You take 10mg Cortef,,I still hear the word steroid and am cautious....

Just cause I was so harmed by the shots

As I mentioned on the other post .it might be worth it to start a fresh comment post,,to see if anybody else will chim in..

Thank you

I had some thing semi-working last week and then lost it,,,,been flat for days
Really not sure what's not helping at this time ,that got me to a better place a few days ago.

Was only 5-10 percent ,but any is better than nothing,

More numbness, sweats, soar throat ,fatigue, and apathy,,,,,,

nonna05
Member # 33557

Still a big issue..Haven't felt comfortable with the 5mg ,tied half and all the above is happening..

Not sure if I didn't get a bit of flu bug or if new GSE hit harder or not at all..

Now this thread is all over the place..

I cut back on Crypto...thought it was hitting gut hard ,,lost all the ground as far as number of drops on that..

Anybody??/

nonna05
Member # 33557

aLSO kEEBLER i SPENT YEARS TRYING TO GET A GOOD OPINION ON THE ADRENALS.

I went back to natural support the last few days,

Just can't tell why symptom's are back again ,that were mosttly gone,
Sweats, leg giggles , focus is bad, blurry vision,,,some fullness in head,,, loose bowels .

Just a mess .

Bummer cause I had a few hours where I could funtion a couple days and have know idea what I did to mess it up. [shake] [bow]

Summer3
Member # 35286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Summer3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same problem. I was doing alright on Cortef/Florinef and then I accidentally missed a dose (I didn't think that would be a big deal).

Maybe it was a coincidence, but that same day I lost the ability to be able to function past noon again and I haven't been able to bounce back since. The weakness is pretty bad again.

--------------------
http://www.lymepie.blogspot.com

Posts: 1129 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

recently heard from a

llmd that they would not order cortef for someone with Lyme,,,

no reason ,found out in a round about way..
Lord I wish there were consistant answers.

there has to be reasons both ways
jeremy never came back on this one..

nonna05
Member # 33557

read adrenal survey....lots of yes marks...

do most have this issue with Lyme?

I thought I had been checked,but always felt it was huge issue.
on natural support ,but maybe just wrong kind

what do others do fo it

who has gotten well with this issue

thank you, N

dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it might be a long shot, Nonna, but after I started using licorice tea daily (a pot in the a.m.), within a few weeks, I noticed that I felt less fatigued, and my blood pressure and body temp normalized, I started sweating again and noticed that my skin was not so dry and I didn't have cold hands and feet anymore.

My LLNP thought that licorice tea would make anyone with lyme feel better as it has so many healing properties and she did say it would help the adrenals. You need to be careful as it will raise your blood pressure - so check with your LLMD or even your PCP before taking regularly.

I know you have complicated issues with your adrenal system and I am sure there is lots more than licorice tea that you need, but I thought it might at least help to make you feel a little better. Good luck!

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement