LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » IV antibiotics

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IV antibiotics
Rob_h
Member # 38104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob_h     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My cardiologist, due to sick sinus syndrome, suggested IV antibiotics. What are the pros and cons? I am a kidney donor, so are all IV antibiotics hard on the remaining kidney or are some not a problem? Thanks, Rob_H
Posts: 18 | From NH | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme-o
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35115

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme-o     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I understand, Vancomycin is extremely harsh on kidneys. Hubby has to go once a week for blood work to keep tabs on everything. Can say for other drugs
Posts: 305 | From United States | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The main issue with IV antibiotics is the cost -- most insurance companies will only pay for 28 days max and that is just not long enough.

I don't think most IV antibiotics are that much more toxic than oral meds. Some meds such as zithromax are actually much better absorbed as IV and smaller doses are given as IV.

Just research each med that is suggested and discuss with your doc and pharmacist.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob_h
Member # 38104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob_h     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are IV antibiotics something done only in a hospital or is it an at home treatment, or at home with visiting nurse to assist with it. You would think this would be easy to find on line but no luck so far. Thanks, Rob
Posts: 18 | From NH | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhitneyS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhitneyS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have lyme? You should def NOT be an organ donor if you have Lyme...
Posts: 844 | From CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can do your own infusing but usually a nurse comes every week to make sure all is okay. They draw blood in your home every two weeks.

Some insurances will pay for so many of the nursing visits after you deductible/coinsurance is met. I have 122 visits a year on my insurance and it pays now that I have paid my in network deductible and coinsurance. So I don't pay for any more of those visits for the rest of this year.

Even if I were paying, it costs me out of pocket 10% of the visit and that isn't much at all.

IV drugs have come down quite a bit at Infuserve America. A 28 day rocephin kit with acuflow elastopheric device is $699 now.

Other IV drugs are less expensive. I am now switching to IV Clindamycin in two weeks with 5 days infusing and 2 days off each week and that is around $300 a month for ALL supplies. I have a port, so that includes flushes, needles and central line kits. I still take some orals with a copay from my insurance.

I have had 4 Rocephin kit deliveries and my insurance is paying for all of them. I was shocked too when they paid.

Might be that Infuserve is just doing better billing than other infusing services, I don't know. I am not going to question why my insurance company is paying.

You can get a quote from Infuserve at anytime on the cost of a drug. They are extremely helpful.

I didn't start to get better until I went IV abx. I have lots of GI issues and oral abx was making it worse.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob_h
Member # 38104

Hi WhitneyS,

I was a kidney donor before I got sick with Lyme.

Hi Faithful,

Is the process at home "doable"? Is there risk? Thanks, Rob

lyme-o
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35115

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme-o     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hubby does his own infusion right here at home. We have several OR Nurse friends. They do his dressing change each week. One trip to visiting nurse for monthly check on Picc ine. Blood draw every monday morning at local hospital. IV Vancomycin comes from Infuserve. Our insurance doesn't cover it. So theres a toughie. As far as him doing it at home, its so easy. Just need to keep everything clean, using alcohol wipes etc... Have to follow all of the directions. Feel free to PM for info
Posts: 305 | From United States | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Process at home is easy. My LLMD insists on a nurse visit every week even though I infuse myself and now access my port myself along with doing the dressing on it. My LLMD is just being careful by having the nurse come every week. She checks vitals and symptoms. If something isn't right, she calls the doctor.

My insurance covers the nurse visit after I hit my deductible and coinsurance which I did by February this year. So now my insurance pays for all nurse visits. Even when I paid, they were only $16 a visit out of my pocket.

Blood draws are done on the nurse visit from my port every two weeks. I am on several detox supplements so no problems with my liver function at all. I am also on some orals.

There is risk in taking any antibiotics IV or oral but Lyme with coinfections out weigh the risks for me. I am getting better slowly since starting IV. My husband is on orals and so far hasn't improved after 6 months. He may be heading for IV if we don't see a change soon.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement