LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » worried...maybe POTS?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: worried...maybe POTS?
Larae30
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larae30     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a bp/hr cuff and I have been experimenting with it today.
When I am laying down, my bp and hr are low, hr is in lower 60's, which is what I normally am.

When I stand, bp/hr both go up and my hr was 106. Do I have POTS? What do I do? There are no lyme friendly dr's where I live, I have to make an 8 hr trip to go to my LLMD and don't have an appt until late August again.

I am worried. My anxiety has been HORRIBLE lately, like debilitating.

[ 07-06-2012, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: Larae30 ]

--------------------
Treating lyme, bart and babs

Posts: 506 | From NE | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ktkdommer
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 29020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ktkdommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
POTS is defined as a 30 point or more increase in heart rate from a sitting to standing position. It is very common in Lyme and is just another form of deregulation of the autonomic nervous system or dysautonomia.

POTS can make you feel normal. There are some things you can do without a doctor. We found good information at dinet.org.

I think a cardiologist doesn't need to be Lyme friendly, although ideal, to treat. We saw 2 prior to Lyme diagnosis. POTS has a pretty standard treatment protocol and takes a bit of playing around with doses.

Would your Lyme doc prescribe POTS meds over the phone?

My son takes florinef and a beta blocker. His migraine medicine also helps him. He has been two years into treatment and hasn't been able to wean off of his POTS meds. The heat is not helping at all!

--------------------
Things are never dull. After 3 fighting Lyme, 2 are in remission. Youngest is still sick, age 22. He has new diagnosed Chiari Malformation and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.

Posts: 1366 | From Perrysburg, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larae30
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larae30     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure. I emailed him a while ago, so I will see what he says.

Is it supposed to go away with treatment?

Is it attributed to a certain coinfection or just lyme?

Yeah the heat is really bad for me right now and I used to love the heat.

I just am such a worrier and now I am freaking myself out.

Could my anxiety be related to the POTS stuff, too?

--------------------

Posts: 506 | From NE | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Larae30,
How much magnesium are you taking?
Anxiety can be a symptom of low magnesium.

Also, are you taking fish oil with a high ratio of EPA?
Aim for 2000 mg of EPA daily.

http://omegabrite.com/why/effects.html

There are also other brands with a very high ratio of EPA, do you want the info?

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larae30
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35220

Yes, I take natural calm mag and high EPA fish oil and have for months. Maybe I need to take more mag? I feel conflicted about the whole mag issue?

--------------------

Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take more mag, at least for a week, and see if your anxiety improves.

How much fish oil are you taking?
How many mg of EPA daily?
Perhaps increase that too.

Don't forget foods high in magnesium.
Almonds, almond butter
Dark chocolate
Beans, baked beans, kidney beans, bean soup, bean burritoes.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larae30
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35220

I have been checking my bp and hr throughout the day and it is all over the place [Frown]

--------------------

Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Your blood pressure is all over the place?
Yeah, that's normal, as it changes when you change position and even if you're talking while someone is checking it.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the problem is more your reaction to the BP readings.

This is why I'm emphasizing that you should increase your magnesium and fish oil.

Larae30
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35220

Yeah I just always had low bp and hr and so it's strange to see it go so high now and my anxiety has been out of control, especially the past couple days.

My anxiety has gotten a lot worse since start Rifampin and I am not sleeping well at all.

I will take more mag and fish oil and see if it does anything I guess.

--------------------

Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Ahhh....the increased anxiety may be part of a herx reaction to the antibiotic.

The liver needs more magnesium to make glutathione, which it uses to detoxify the poisons left behind by the dead Lyme bacteria.
This is why liver support is important.

What else do you have on hand for liver support.
CoEnzyme Q10
Acetyl l-carnitine
Alpha lipoic acid
N-acetyl cysteine
Milk thistle
Undenatured whey, for amino acids

Larae30
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35220

How do you know when something is from a drug and when it's herxing?

I've been on 600mg Rifampin for almost 2 months now.

I had my first two better days in MONTHS last week and now this week I am wanting to be in a coma until I'm well or just not wake up until this hell is over.

I wish I could at least sleep well to escape it.

--------------------

Carol in PA
Member # 5338

You could also stop the Rifampin for a couple days to give your liver time to catch up with its work.

If you do this, be sure to continue liver support.

Editing to add:
Rumigirl posted that it's not advisable to stop Rifampin for a couple days.

So don't do this unless you consult your LLMD.

[ 07-07-2012, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: Carol in PA ]

Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do not stop the rifampin for a couple of days! It can make it ineffective to do that (this is for rifampin specifically).

The rifampin can absolutely cause your anxiety and insomnia to go through the roof. It is not a side-effect of the drug, but is a die-off reaction. So do lots of detox. And magnesium. And talk to your dr.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Larae,
Have you increased your liver support?

Any improvement?

opus2828
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15407

Icon 1 posted      Profile for opus2828     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was diagnosed with POTS a few months ago and from my experience, it is an increase in heart rate upon standing of 30 beats or more that happens within 10 mins of standing up.

Also, it will stay elevated until you sit down again. The more you try to do standing, the higher it will go. Showers will make it go up higher.

Sitting, crouching, laying down all make it go down - it sometimes takes a minute or so.

POTS can cause the body to have more adrenaline, therefore you get more anxiety. It can sometimes mimic a panic attack, although it is not the same.

For some people blood pressure falls but for others it goes higher. Mine falls alittle and then goes up.

To test yourself, lie quietly for 15 mins. then take heart rate and blood pressure lying down. Stand and at 1 minute do the same. Then again at 5 and 10 mins. Try not to move at all when standing. Have someone with you and if you don't feel well, then lay down right away.

I take a low dose beta blocker for it and have started an exercise program at a rehab place.

Posts: 581 | From CT | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymetwister
Member # 19590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymetwister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Treatment for POTS is not standard across the board as there are Variants of POTS.

In my case, my blood pressure is fine when standing and it doesn't go low or high. Some people have skyrocketing BP's when standing, while others plumet and pass out.

The Florinef, IV fluids and support hose, etc. is NOT indicated for Hyperadrenergic POTS, which is usually the form where your Blood Pressure goes way up on standing.

Beta Blockers can help, but many feel worse on them. I tried them and unless I'm getting into the 160's on standing, I won't touch them. I can usually get around ok with my HR in the 120's on standing. I just feel tired after being up and doing things for a while.

If I do exertional things, then my HR can go 160's easy and it takes time to recover when sitting or laying down.

There is much not understood about the condition, but it can bring on extra Anxiety and mess with other things in the body.

Even the POTS so call experts don't seem to know how to effectively treat it. I've seen many.

Like some have said, it's suppose to go away with treatment. Mine is much better then when I first started treating, although it's not gone.

Best not to sit and take your pulse all day long. Don't get obsessed with it. It's just a symptom and it won't kill you. Just uncomfortable like so many other things with this disease.

If you want to look further, look up Autonomic Dysfunction, b/c thats what this is. I'm sure many of your other symptoms you will see under this phenomenon.

Best,

Gary

Posts: 1227 | From District of Columbia | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kim812
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17644

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kim812     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rifampin cause an huge increase in my anxiety and terrible insomnia...even taking a sleeping pill wouldn't work. I found out that Rifampin has an interaction with Lunesta and Ambien making them basically useless by 80 percent...

I just had the tilt table test and wore a holter monitor for 24 hours because I was also getting 30 point spikes in my heart rate. I haven't heard back from the doctor on the results but they did tell me the tilt test was totally normal so I am not sure what is going on with me either....

Posts: 343 | From North Carolina | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD had me take Thermatabs and they helped immensely. Between those and treating the Lyme and co, my BP finally is normal!

You can get them OTC or on the internet, but I would check with your doctor first.

Also, whether or not you start those, keep tracking your BP and keep a log. This could be a good way to show your doctor that this needs attention.

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement