LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Gettin all teeth pulled

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gettin all teeth pulled
jecati
Member # 26700

Icon 9 posted      Profile for jecati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys, I dont post much on here but read all the time.

Im considering having all of my upper teeth pulled. I have a total of 5 root canals. both sides are hurting nowadays and my teeth are very weak, its like they are quickly decaying/crumbling. Vit D is super low and read that can contribute. All of my upper teeth hav e some kind of decay, filling or root canal. yeah, can you say a mouth full of mercury?

I got 2 rootcanals done months before I got really sick, btw.

I feel this is a part of my immunity problem. Im ok with letting them all go if it means me feeling/getting bettter.

I need to know if there's anything I can do to prepare myself ahead of time for this process. How many teeth should I pull at a time? Just worried it would put a shock to my system but cant be any worse than the damage the bacteria and root canals are doing now?

Thanks for any words of wisdom! <3

Posts: 83 | From NC | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had seven root canals pulled a couple of years ago. I don't know that I would do it again.

I did have osteomyelitis underneath all seven of them which the dentist cleaned out. One area on the lower left had three root canals right in a row and was very infected.

The dentist cleaned it out twice and an oral surgeon once. It still swells. I don't know if they just didn't get all the infection, or if they introduced more infection into the area.

I must be honest with you. I absolutely hate my partials. The first dentist screwed up and I had to start over at great expense etc with a different dentist.

He put a bridge in the front and screwed that up too. Had to have it replaced three times. It eventually destroyed the adjacent tooth which I had to have pulled as well.

If I had if to do over again, I probably would not have had the front tooth done.

The whole thing has been an absolute nightmare. I still get very depressed about it.

Be very careful that you go to a dentist with a good track record and do your homework before letting him pull anything.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pulling your teeth is not solving the problem of possible cavitations that have formed. If you consider this, you need to find a good oral surgeon to remove any soft and infected jawbone.

I had all my teeth and cavitations removed - I had 12 root canals and would probably not have survived Lyme and the rest. I had a fabulous surgeon who now longer does this work. I also had to go to Germany to get dentures - after six sets made in this country that simply did not work. Now I am not even aware of dentures and I am very happy and Lyme is long gone. But I am still detoxing heavy metals.

Do a lot of searching. There are some surgeons, but hard to find. Maybe some of the people who have that kind of work done can help out. Don'd do it until you find the best. And have a photo taken of your smile, so that the denturist has an idea of what you look like with your natural teeth.

Complications only arise if the jawbone is not cleaned out properly. Mine healed like a charm without any problems.

I wish you all the best from the bottom of my heart.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jecati
Member # 26700

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jecati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just had some pans done and they told me I have a large abcess in the front, it looks pretty deep on my xray so I can only imagine its an infection in my bone.

Im so worried about all of these root canals too after reading up on possibly causing cancer or that they harbor the lyme bacteria.

Linky123, if you could do it all over again, what would you do differently? How can they get the infection out w/o pulling the teeth?

Posts: 83 | From NC | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jecati
Member # 26700

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jecati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im just reading up on cavitations, that scares the crap outta me!

BTW, my smile is not real now, my 4 front teeth are porcelin crowns, dont look anything like my real teeth, Ive always had soft teeth that chip easily, makes me think Ive had vit deficienceis my whole life!

Finances are of course an issue, I cant even afford to properly treat the ole lyme.

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's rough... I don't have any advice to offer but good luck with everything. I hope you find a good dentist or orl surgeon. I lived in the South for a while & it's really hard to find good dentists down there.

Maybe try Duke University? I heard they have a pretty good medical school there.

fyi - http://www.dukehealth.org/services/plastic_surgery/programs/oral_surgery

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read about some using ozone to treat this. But don't really know much about it.

Gigi is right about searching out the best. I'm sorry I cannot recommend anyone. The guy that did mine was supposed to be a good biological dentist; he was not.

He was also expensive, and I was only able to get a small refund for the mess he made.

Now when my jaw swells, I do oil-pulling and it takes down the swelling. It sounds kind of weird but really works.

You can google for more info.

Also, do a search on lymenet for those who have tried oil-pulling.

Take care.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hadlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hadlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have to consider the alternates if you are thinking of extracting all your teeth.

Dentures. What are they made of, are you going to react to them? Implants and fixed dentures, are you going to react to them?

If you can save SOME of your teeth, and they can be anchors for partials then that would be the best way to go. But again, if you think you are sensitive to certain plastics, acrylics, nickels, etc, then ALL the options you have are not going to be options.

You need to study up and read BOTH sides of everything before you extract your teeth, or you might be worse off afterward.

If you do not have ridges that will hold a denture tight, you will have loose fitting dentures all your life too. (ridge is the bone/gum of what is left after your teeth are extracted.

Please read EVERYTHING you can again, both sides of this issue. My goodness... I've been in dentistry for years and I've seen it all. People that think they'll be better off health wise if they get their teeth extracted and then they are worse afterwards in fit, reactions, etc!!!

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Fry Bug..... Whatever it is, may a treatment be discovered to make us all whole again!

Posts: 941 | From AZ-MT | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

You may be right, hadlyme. I consider myself the healthiest person at the age of 80 without twelve root canals or, for that matter, any of my own teeth. And the nice part is: it has to be done right by people who understand that mercury is one of the worst toxin. And you have to find someone who helps detox the mercury even after the teeth are long gone.

The ugly mercury is stii in the rest of the body, mainly the brain, joints, causing untold neurological toxic problems that have nothing to do with Lyme, yet are often associated with Lyme.
The mercury moves into the central nervous system within hours of the installation of amalgam fillings.

Read some of the publication (google) of Christopher Hussar, DDS, DO. If, and he has trained others.

Just remember: root canals are dead teeth and the toxin they produce (thioethers, mercaptan) is considered carcinogenic. You can do a TOPAS Test
- biological tentists do it in the chair, and it will tell you the condition of the root canals.

Possibly saving some of the lower teeth is very important. An upper denture is much easier to fit and it will stay. The lower is more difficult.

I know important people who have lost teeth and waited it out to become well again without. Then implants of non-metal material (absolutely not titanium) are done more and more and they create no problem. Preserving the bone on the lower is important, or a bone transplant works well for some.

It is not easy and it is costly, but unhealthy toxic teeth and gums do not contribute to health.

I haven't put out a penny in years to keep chewing. Also contact ACAM and IOAMT for info.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsatlast
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsatlast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In 2004 I travelled from Massachusetts to Texas to a dental practice for dental revision. I had 7 root canal teeth extracted over about a 2 hour period while I was on IV sedation. The procedure did not bother me at all. I was awake and happy all the way through and apparently I was very talkative and enjoyed myself. It went very well. I have had a partial denture (upper) ever since. I lost a front tooth from a bike accident when I was 11 and now aI am 59. My partial is made of flexite which is biocompatible for me. It looks absolutely great, no one, even my mother can tell, and it is generally ok for chewing.
I would recommend this group of dentists. They work closely with Dr. Huggins who has published widely on the danger of mercury and root canals. I would do it again. I have worked on mercury detox slowly ever since and a lot of my mercury toxicity symptoms have resolved, but maybe not all. If you call this group on the phone, they will counsel you extensively beforehand about how to prepare and what to expect. The people there were all incredibly caring and loving toward me. I went there alone and they were really wonderful, even picking me up aat my hotel when I was post-op and didn't think I should drive. they place an immediate custom denture after the surgery. They have their own lab. This partial helps alot to keep the swelling down and it's nice not to ever have to go out in public with missing teeth. For my permanent biocompatible partial, I went close to home to a practice in Groton, MA. It took two trys to get it right so the denture didn't hurt or cause sores, but that is never an issue for me now. I would recommend it.

Posts: 156 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsatlast
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsatlast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PS: You can find this practice at the website www.dentalrevision.com. Call them and they will guide you.
Posts: 156 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

kidsatlast, thank you for that great information.

Take care.

AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AuntyLynn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kidsatlast -

Why would you travel from Mass to TX to get reconstruction? What was so different about this particular practice? I'm very interested!

BTW Jecati -
I have a long history with periodental disease. I would advise "one at a time" extraction. Especially since you know you know you are low on Vitamin D and calcium (poor tooth quality) and likely have other nutritional deficiencies.

Get rid of that tooth/teeth that has the deep pocket infection FIRST, before the infection destroys your jawbone. I think it is much easier to handle one socket at a time (bleeding, swelling, avoiding chewing) than it would be to nurse a whole jaw that has been torn apart.

Also, it is much easier for your body to try to fill in one jawbone gap, than 4 or 6! You should definitely be taking natural Cod Liver Oil and plenty of Vitamin C.

You should also increase your intake of calcium rich foods. (I'm not necessarily crazy about calcium supplements as most of them just sit undigested in your gut.) However, I did have an excellent result with "OYSTER CAL" many years ago - which is made from oyster shell, and apparently easily assimilated, judging from how white my teeth got!

I see that Natures Bounty and Windmill both offer this product with Vitamin D. Oyster Calcium is calcium carbonate - so take a clue if you want to supplement with Calcium.

The Nutritionist Adele Davis said that when your diet is calcium deficient, your body will rob calcium from the jawbone FIRST, to supply it for use by the soft tissues. The jawbone is not a bone that supports the body, and so this is the logical place from which mother nature will take calcium. However, the obvious downside to this process is tooth loss.

And old wives' tale concerning pregnancy admonishes that you can expect to lose a tooth with each baby. (A growing baby will rob its mother's body for the calcium it needs.)

Vitamin C will help your body to fight infections, and supplies the necessary building block for "new tissue." The outer membrane of each body cell is comprised largely of Vitamin C. So if you want to heal from any injury, Vitamin C is essential.

Hope this info helps you!

Posts: 1432 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

http://www.tuberose.com/Root_Canals.html
lymenotlite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymenotlite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a span of lyme time when my teeth seemed to be disintegrating. I had them repaired and after some time, the phenomenon stopped. Now I'm glad to have intact teeth.

I have one root canal and was looking into getting it pulled. It is in the front and pulling it would have involved drilling down two other teeth so I decided against that. Also, there were two health care people that told me that their experience with people who had their root canals pulled was that it did nothing.

Good luck.

Posts: 705 | From WA state | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hadlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hadlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you can keep some of your teeth after the root canaled teeth are extracted, you can think of this less expensive procedure.

Once again though, the chemicals in this product would have be looked into. It is a composite type of resin.

Look at this site and get into the 'training' part at the top. Watch the video. Not every dentist does this Snap on Smile. You would have to find a dentist that buys through Henry Schein Dental.

This would be less money than any other type of denture, partial, etc.

http://www.denmat.com/snaponsmile

When watching this video, remember, this is for dentists to watch.

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Fry Bug..... Whatever it is, may a treatment be discovered to make us all whole again!

Posts: 941 | From AZ-MT | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsatlast
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4308

AuntyLynn-

The reason I had to travel to Texas was because they are among the few national experts. I visited all the holistic dentists in Massachusetts and they just didn't offer the treatment that I needed. Mainly they aren't licensed to offer conscious sedation, they just use novacaine and it would have taken multiple sittings to get the job done.

There is still a lot of denial in the dental profession about how bad mercury and root canals are for overall body health. The roots of your teeth are actually near your brain!

jecati
Member # 26700

Wow, forgot I posted this almost a month ago...

suddenly remembered tonight when I had a tooth break :/

I do appreciate everyones responses, so much to think about!

I will say I have 14 teeth that 'need' to be pulled. That means they are either decayed or have a root canal...that is every upper tooth! So there is no possibilities for a partial.

I was broke before I became a Lymie and am much worse now of course, most times not having money for any form of treatment. I may be able to get my hands on just enough money to have my teeth pulled and an upper plate put it ( i will research materials for sure ) however I dont normally have any chemical sensitivities.

Im thinking 1 pulled at a time but perferably 2 at a time.

Other than cavitations, what are the risks of having your teeth removed? I dont understand how it would release more mercury in my body...I know Im already consumed with it...but wouldnt it help matters to get the problem out?

Are there some things I could do or take after the extractions?

thanks again for your help, this is not an easy decision.

jecati
Member # 26700

anyone ?
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't take desperate measures unless you absolutely have to. Protomyxzoa causes tooth pain and babesia causes decay. Maybe you can get most of your teeth fixed. I have root canals and am getting well without removing them. Other people have too.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AuntyLynn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AuntyLynn's prescription for post-extraction ...

EAT ICE CREAM! (No nuts, chips, or berry seeds!)

Coffee, chocolate, vanilla

Sip Ice water.

The more you can keep your gums chilled, the less they will swell. This is real important to prevent pain and should be used in the first 24 hours only! I have gotten through a few extractions, without so much as a single Advil this way!

Posts: 1432 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement