LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Do deer get lyme disease?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do deer get lyme disease?
supergirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for supergirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been thinking about this recently: do deer get sick since they are transporting the ticks? Just curious because of course if they don't, then they should be studied extensively.

--------------------
PHOENIX: mythical bird that rises from the ashes
July '09 got sick very quickly could barely get out of bed - ND diag lymes.. and the journey began
bite: unkown - no rash

Posts: 248 | From private | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor said that deer are hosts to the ticks but do not get Lyme. His theory was that Teasel grows everywhere and the deer eat it all the time when they graze.

I have no idea if this is a true theory or not. Interesting though.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supergirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for supergirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
teasel? so man, let me get my hands on some teasel then!

--------------------
July '09 got sick very quickly could barely get out of bed - ND diag lymes.. and the journey began

Posts: 248 | From private | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is a very interesting theory about teasel. Makes me want to plant it.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if I agree. Horses get lyme. Dogs get lyme. Mice get lyme. Why wouldn't deer?

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwick25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've thought about this a million times. It's so confusing. I wish we had answers! [Smile]

It also annoys me that dogs have these effective lyme prevention methods (collars, etc.), but we barely do.

Posts: 711 | From Bucks County, PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My naturepath said to take teasel all the time when I am in remission.

Buhner's book has a maintenance set of herbals to take once you get well to keep your immune system up.

Can't hurt to try them.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think deer are a great host for Lyme and many other organisms. They are just like us and can get bit multiple times and eventually it wears on their immune system.

This holds true for many of the animals we see out there, including squirrels, rabbits, birds, mice, chipmunks and the like.

These animals are always getting bit and eventually they pay the price. At first they are able to fight it off and just like us they may have an event that they succumb to.

Posts: 2087 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard the theory that deer are reservoirs, but don't get the disease(s).

I don't buy it. I think they are very sick animals.

I've heard people from highly endemic regions call the local deer "stupid." I think that means behaving in ways that don't seem conducive to survival.

I would love to see some research on infected vs. uninfected deer populations.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hadlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hadlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This article is from Michigan... says they can become infected. I would think that there are more articles out there with better info.

http://mdc.mo.gov/landwater-care/animal-management/animal-diseases/deer-diseases/lyme-disease-deer

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Fry Bug..... Whatever it is, may a treatment be discovered to make us all whole again!

Posts: 941 | From AZ-MT | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supergirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26936

thanks to everyone who responded. special thanks about the recommended herbs from Dr. B. I would gladly ingest teasel for the rest of my life to prevent getting sick again.

--------------------

Lauralyme
Member # 15021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauralyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about the tick itself?
How come it isn't getting lymed?

--------------------
Fall down seven times, get up eight
~Japanese proverb

Posts: 1146 | From west coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haha, Laura, can you imagine a tick doctor? Bring yer ticks in, folks, gotta get them well, so then if they bite you, you won't get sick...

I do teasel root tincture drops, along with turmeric powder - the combo is good for reducing general inflam and joint swelling.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
moose die from lyme. they call it brain-worm. maybe no teasal up north.

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19093

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuckG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lpkayak:
moose die from lyme. they call it brain-worm. maybe no teasal up north.

quote:
MOOSE ASSESSMENT - Maine.gov
Three parasites, present in Maine, have caused, or contributed, to mortality in moose. Brain worm ( Parelaphostrongylus tenuis ) is a parasite that infects deer ...
www.maine.gov/ifw/wildlife/species/plans/mammals/moose/assessment.pdf

Parelaphostrongylus tenuis isn't borrelia burgdorferi.
Posts: 426 | From Berkeley, CA | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i couldnt find the quote in the paper-i cant read that much...does it say how the moose are totally covered in ticks and how their hair is off cuz there are so many ticks and how they just wander for miles-days-months whatever and then they walk in circles until they fall down and die?

i understand PT isnt Bb

maybe they should look for PT in people...maybe it would answer some unanswered questions

im not a scientist...but i dont trust ducks or many scientists either. when you see one of these moose with thousands of ticks hanging off it you gotta wonder...really

they've known about this since 99...when are they gonna do something about it

the show i heard said they are just going to let the moose migrate north to canada to get away from the ticks. canada has ticks. we have seen them crawling on garbage cans below 20 degrees

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supergirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26936

I hear you, IPkayak - where the heck are we supposed to migrate to?

This reality doesn't fit into my brain - I can't come up with any logical explanation for the reason that docs and researchers aren't outraged and jumping on this!

But, I believe that in every situation, eventually, the truth is revealed. perhaps due to our tenacity and our own rage.

--------------------

Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Makes you wonder if the tick carries that much of a variety of bugs, how in the world does it function at all? Funny how nature and trial and error has a way of working things out.

I've seen many stupid deers that look bug eyed and brain dead, making stupid decisions on the road. It kind of reminds me of myself during my extreme head and neck pressures with brain fog. I was forced to stop a few seconds just to make my next move/decision, so I can relate.

Do you see the texting while driving campaigns? It was found that texting while driving can lead to CFS, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, Fibromyalgia, Dementia, Bi-polar, tremors, twitches, blurry vision and floaters, GI issues and a host of other ailments.

Hence the need for worldwide promotion and to sweep any other menial aberrations under the rug. The only explanation for this twilight episode, as the catch phrase so eloquently purported, "you don't get it until you get it!"

Posts: 2087 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

texting while driving leads to death too...yours and theirs

all this stuff get me thinking conspiracy stuff again and knowing there is no way i can fight it

so many are so sick and dont have a clue

--------------------

Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Exactly.

It is serious and one would think that Lyme affects many more and many more to come. Based upon strict numbers Lyme and the lessons from it deserve a comparable, if not more attention and media coverage.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement